***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad he seems like a nice 'fella and not just a jerk messing up someone elses hunt. Sounds like he has some knowledge to pass on to you. Good luck!

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well it's looking like the next few days we could finally get some cold temps and see some buck movement. Let's hope they cooperate. I "should" be able to hunt Thurs, Fri and Sat afternoon and maybe Sunday morning. So I pretty much have 4 sits to try and make something happen. It looks like my wife is going to be induced next Tues or Weds so after that I'll be on baby duty for a little while.

Good luck to everyone who is hunting these next few days!

3. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the coming addition Justin! Who has a baby during the rut? :) Buck or doe?!!?! Looking forward to the weekend temps in WI myself. Always love the last week of October on our property. Plan on being out Saturday morning and evening and Sunday evening. Not sure if I will sneak in a weeknight sit this week or not, but I'd definitely like to.

4. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the baby Justin! Hopefully I'll be able to make it out on Saturday, but I have to make a stop at the bow shop first. Someone I know shortened my Dloop and now when I pull back, my peep sight is no longer aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Having a baby the last week of October was not one of my better decisions. What can I say? The wife caught me at a weak moment. :lol:

Not sure if it's a buck or a doe yet. We have one of each already so this one is a surprise.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If your peep sight is aligned straight when the bow is at rest you can probably fix this on your own. Just slide your loop around the string until it lines up with the peep and use a pair of needlenose pliers to really cinch it down. If he didn't tighten it enough chances are it just slid around the side of your string when you shot it.

7. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt Spot 3.jpg Hello my loyal team mates! Big weekend ahead of me. I'm making the 2 hour trek back to my home town and getting after a few private spots i grew up around. Plan on getting in around 4 on friday and doing some fast and thorough scouting work and hanging a quick stand (probably an observation stand for the first night) Not too terribly thick of woods and mostly fields but any stand location pointers would be great. Please note that the green field is rumored to be crp this year.

8. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hope that's all it is. Ill take a look at it once I sharpen some knives so I can butcher that doe tonight. I have a bad feeling the guy cinched it down though.

9. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck everyone these next few days...and congrats, Justin. Sending vibes for a healthy baby and quick delivery.

Looking like rain until Saturday...will get out when I can.

10. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning my Kronies :cool:
    PinkPony and Justin and all else going out these next few days.....good luck! Conditions are looking pretty stellar. I'm going out to my public ground tonight to capitalize on the cold front before heading south to throw together a weekend hunt with zero scouting. Fun times should be had by all! Go team 18!

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Tonight's trip to the stand is in jeopardy depending on what time I have to be at a hayride with my son for his school. With my wife ready to pop any second she doesn't want to be riding around on a trailer with a bunch of little kids so I've been called in as backup. I'm waiting on confirmation to see if I'm going to be able to squeeze that afternoon hunt in or not. My gut says I won't, but I'm not giving up yet.

Good luck to everyone out there who is hunting the next few days. Pay attention and shoot straight!

12. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had kind of a cool happening this morning as a series of trail cam videos I posted on my Facebook feed 4 years ago popped up in my memories. I watched the video and remembered all the nice bucks I had on camera that year and then out of nowhere, a video clip of this scraggly looking buck with long brow tines and a messed up rack and crooked face is playing and it dawned on me that this was the buck we now call "Brows". We thought we had him on camera for the first time in 2014 as a 3.5 year old and in 2015 as a 4.5 year old, but now it appears as if last year he was at least 5.5 or even 6.5. We have one video this year that we think is him, but it is too far away to know for sure. He was looking fine in March this year other than being all busted up so we assume he made it through winter fine and are just waiting to get a good pic of his tell tail crooked face to confirm it this year. I'll post pics if I can screenshot the videos. Just thought it was pretty cool!

13. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2012 IMG_2735.jpg 2014 IMG_2736.jpg IMG_2737.jpg 2015 IMG_1759.jpg We have many more pics and videos of him in 2014 and 2015. Just thought I'd share these few that showed him best. He looks like he's been through the war!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  14. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That first picture looks like a deer i took shotgun season a couple years back.

15. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  16. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was just caught completely by surprise when I saw the video and he immediately jumped out at me because he also walks with a little gimp. We think he got hit by a car at some point or ran head first into a tree. As I said, we have many pics and videos of him in 2014 and 2015 and there is no doubt this is the same buck. Pretty sure he is 2.5 in the 2012 pic which would make him 6.5 this year at a minimum. Hopefully get a crack at the old codger this year.

17. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got set up. First time to this spot but I drive by the property often. Scouted here and thought it would be a great spot pre rut so here I am on a cold front ready to rock. Fresh sign all over and yesterday when I drove by all the corn was still standing and now she's picked clean. Things are looking good folks. GO CUBS!

18. dsauer22

dsauer22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool pics Aaron.....he has developed nicely over the years. A good visual on why to let those 1-2 yr olds walk if you can

19. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What a gorgeous night last night. Had 20 turkeys roll up on me. Then a fork decided to hang around for a bit. Then a basket chased 3 does off in the distance. Then it got dark and I waited quite awhile because I could hear leaves crunching. So i'm sitting here 45 min after the sun goes down, not making a peep, and a deer randomly blows at me 3 times? He couldn't have seen me it was dark, he couldn't have heard me. I was sprayed head to toe with dead down wind and nose jammer. So what gives? Not a clue. Made the 20 min hike back to my car and as i'm getting in i notice 2 doe and what looks to be my num 2 hitlist buck just chilling 20 feet from this guys house, right underneath his flood light. 'Twas an odd night.

20. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Odd night...maybe leading to a good weekend?

It has rained nonstop since yesterday. Poured. We haven't had much rain - so this is crazy. May skip out on bowhunting and go duck hunting in the morning. A guy who brings the prisoners to do a work detail at my work gave me a heads up on a huge swamp. Thinking we may head there.

Plan on an evening sit tomorrow, for sure. Hoping to make it through - calling for wet snow flakes...but, with this rain - and it supposed to dwindle off tomorrow morning, should be a good afternoon in the bean fields.