Deer Patterns

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by brummit3, Oct 13, 2016.

1. brummit3

brummit3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to bowhunting. I have had a compound bow for 3 years now, but I have never actually made it out to hunt. I don't have any family or friends who hunt and have been teaching myself. I am just curious if anyone had an resources on deer patterns such as movements throughout the day, where deer like to bed, what to look for when scouting, etc. . I know I am late to the game and I do not expect to harvest any animals this year, but rather try to gain as much information about the land I am hunting and the pattern of the deer living there so I can be better prepared the following year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. dbo181101

dbo181101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm brand new to bowhunting as well but I have been hunting with a rifle since I was 6 or so. I've never really had to scout either since I hunted with my dad for so long he knew our land like the inside of his house. The little I do know pertaining to your question is the thickest brush you see with trails going to it usually means bedding. I don't know where you hunt but around where I'm from acorns are your best bet for food unless you have acorns food plot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

3. dbo181101

dbo181101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also when scouting keep an eye out for rubs along the trails you find

4. dbo181101

dbo181101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    And during the rut I'm going to focus on funnels. The bucks will be chasing so your looking for any spot that forces them closer to you.

5. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    YouTube. Endless source of information. Take everything with a pinch of salt though. Petersons bowhunting. Nock on archery. the list is endless.
    Goodluck.

6. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your best bet is to go out there and walk around find trails and dont just set up on the trail, follow it on both ends to see where it goes, try to find a trail that connects a food source and bedding, I have never had luck finding bedding areas but the more I am out there and walk around the more i find that I bump deer that were bedded. Like others said youtube, and search other posts on here for good info. Good luck, What state are you hunting?

7. brummit3

brummit3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for the information! I failed to mention in my original post that I will be hunting public land (around 5000 acres) in Michigan. This area has marsh, timbers and maintained corn fields to promote deer populations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For now, get in the woods, walk around, find trails and signs of deer and put yourself in a tree that overlooks those signs whether you take your bow or just sit and watch. If you set out camera's, until you get a feel for the deer, change the direction they point, and change location to get as big a picture as you can of the deer movements.

Michigan, take advantage of the snow once it falls. Walk the woods 24-48 hours after a fresh snow fall and look at the trails and also the size of tracks to identify if the movement is young deer or mature.

9. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Find an area in the marsh where woods cut into the marsh and I would be willing to bet you will have lots of deer movement through there!

10. brummit3

brummit3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone. Definitely have helped me out!

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Buy books not magazines to glean info.

Tags: