Under Armour vs Scent-Lok

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by ANM21, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Jderouin

Jderouin Newb

Dislikes Received:
  2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a skeptic of the "reactivation" process. I just see all scent control garments as disposable. a use for one season, or a few warm hunts, and done thing. I'm not implying that their claims are false I would just like to see more proof that it can be used and recharged effectively. btw.... I own a scent lok full season suit

3. MTbowman

MTbowman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you are looking to buy Scentlok, go to their online store, it's half the price you pay in the store. I buy my Scentlok there, It's called Legacy Locker

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know this wasn't mentioned in the original post 4 years ago but I've had better luck with my HS baselayer made with Silver thread than I did with my Scent-Lok base layer or UA base layer.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I bought the Scent Lok Full Season suit last year and it worked really well.

6. Creepy21

Creepy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do have to plug this. I am a rookie by all means, and know about nothing. I did get a full set of scentlok gear with their recent 50% special and I love it. To boot I had a deer wander inside of 20 yards that I got a shot at. I may be terrible, but the odor protection on my gear is working without a doubt. No way that deer comes in that close without it.

7. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wear what's affordable and keeps you warm. I get most of all my hunting clothes on sale and sometimes you can find some crazy good deals on stuff. The outside layer is what the deer will see so layering with non-camo prints shouldn't matter.

8. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a scent lok suit in the new realtree xt this year, and it is definitely my favorite piece in my arsenal.

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I took the biggest deer of my life in ripped up and duct taped carharts, a big orange vest, and a $100 muzzle loader.

The deer don't care what you wear.

After 2 years my opinion hasn't really changed. Basically everything I hunt out of is under armour. I personally like the fit and fabric better. It keeps me warm on negative degree days and I can use the same gear from turkey in the spring to deer in the middle of winter simply by adding a layer in the middle and wearing the heavier base layer.

Yes, I probably paid more for the UA than I would have the SL, but I had a number of gift cards and ways t cut down on the price and make it reasonable.

10. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Come to central and northern Wisconsin during a good cold rut hunt and you will see what real cold is. Waking up in the morning and its 4 degrees out with a 7-10mph wind

Layering is the best way to go but using the right layers is key.

1. Moisture wicking layer
    2. Thermal layer like UA Base layers or others that are similar
    3. Fleece/Wool
    4. Jacket with gortex and wind breaker
    5. Good socks and boots not too tight for circulation and toe warmers on those really cold days
    6. Good hat with thinsulate

*And on those really cold days i'll even wear my Milwaukee heated vest after layer 2 and maybe eliminate one layer as I do not like being bulky.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  11. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Again, putting scent aside I'm from Vermont and it gets well below zero here for multiple days during the season. I don't feel like UA or Scent-Lok has adequate gear to keep you warm during the rut when you are sitting all day. The only gear I've found to be somewhat adequate, without the astronomical pricetag of Sitka, is Scentblocker products. That being said, I don't believe in scent controlled clothing, no matter what anyone says. I still wash my clothes in scent free detergent, hang them outside, spray them down and keep them in rubber bins. I get dressed out in the field before entering my stands and undressed again before getting back into my truck. I do believe in Ozonics, as I've seen this product work, but I am unwilling to invest in the pricetag and believe that I can achieve something similar with proper vigilance. Hope this helps, and good luck with your season.

12. lubiniecki60

lubiniecki60 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think under armour is not warm at all. Do not recommend

13. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Under Armour sucks, They caved to the Anti-hunters! Spend your money on something else.

14. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it all comes down to preference. If money isn't an issue, UA certainly is a good option. Most people that use either swear by both, but Scent-Lok appears to be a little cheaper.

15. ANM21

ANM21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I can't believe this thread is still going! Thanks for all the replies. By the way, I'm the lady in my avatar pic, so no need for the tough guy talk here, you won't win!

Anyway, I ended up getting a really good deal a few years back on the Russell APX line when they started to close their web store down. I also got a really good military discount and bought a couple more things from camofire. I don't really care what I wear but back then, I was a newbie and thought those were the two best brands for hunting in the elements.

Also, for the few that said come hunt up north and see what the temp is really like, I'd love to! Although I've never hunted in North Dakota, I lived there for 6 years and it's no doubt a lot different up there than the Midwest.

Thanks again for all the replies and good luck this season! Even you, MathewsArchery10 ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk