***Make America Hunt Again - Team 19***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by nsuthoff, Aug 15, 2016.

1. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Team 19
    Killed 9-26-16 - Nebraska
    Bear Attitude 60# @ 28"
    Gold Tip Expedition Hunter
    125 gr Muzzy
    HHA Optimizer lite
    57 yard shot, spot and stalk

Mule deer: 99 1/8
    Left: Right: Spread:
    14 4/8 11 1/8 12 6/8
    8 5/8 10
    3 2/8 4 2/8
    7 4/8

3 3/8 3 5/8
    3 1/8 3 2/8
    2 5/8 2 6/8
    2 4/8 3

A friend that we were hunting with spotted this buck along with two others bedded up high in the top of a canyon. It was about 2 o'clock in the afternoon and they were bedded in the shade on the side of a steep draw. We belly crawled to within 30 yards of these deer and watched the tips of their antlers for a few minutes to make sure everything was okay. I got up on my knees and drew all in one motion but as soon as I hit full draw the bucks were on their feet. They blew out across the opposite side of the canyon and never stopped to look back. We worked our way around the head of the canyon and back down through a saddle we thought they might have gone through. Never having done this type of hunting before I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was bummed and thinking that I had done something wrong. No sooner than I had asked my friend if there was something I could have done differently, we simultaneously spotted a bucks' head and antlers and immediately dropped to our knees. Thinking that he might not have seen us, we began putting together a plan to make a second stalk. The group of bucks had only gone a few hundred yards and were not spooked since they didn't smell us and only one of them saw me on the previous stalk. As soon as the bucks eyes disappeared into the draw we dove down into another draw next to us that would allow us to sneak around and cut the bucks off. They were headed out into the bottom of the canyon and there was only one draw separating us as we hurried to get into position. We made it to the end of the and belly crawled up the finger that was between us. We could see through the grass that one buck was bedded and one was feeding unalarmed but could not see the third so we waited a few minutes to see what they would do. After what seemed like an hour (it was only 5 minutes) the deer began to feed to our left just as we'd hoped. They were now at 70 but would work into around 60 or so as they continued to feed. A final range indicated that the largest of the three was at 57 yards and totally unaware of our presence. I waiting until the buck was broadside and just like before I rose and drew all at once but this time the deer hardly noticed. The buck had turned so I continued to hold until finally he turned giving me a hard quartering away. The second he stopped I settled my pin on his last rib and released the arrow. At that distance I could clearly watch the arrow arc towards the buck and hear the satisfying thwack as it hits its mark. We whooped, hollered, and shook hands then ran to the top of the draw to see where the deer went. We could see a long way where we were hunting and about a mile or so away we could clearly see two of the bucks jumping the fence to the neighboring property. The third buck only made it about 100 yards before piling up. I killed my buck on the second stalk of the first day of our hunt! This was definitely my most memorable hunt yet and I got to share it with my father and a good friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where I killed my buck.
    [​IMG]

I had these does at 30 yards but they were safe.
    [​IMG]

My Papa and his first spot and stalk muley. His hunt was equally as exciting but much different. On the third day, we went to an area where we had glass up a giant while out scouting one day. We saw a tons of does but no sign of the big buck. He had a doe at about 25 yards and almost had a nice buck follow her trail but decided otherwise. After a couple hours we decided to go check out an area we had seen a couple nice pronghorn bucks. We drove up and didn't see any goats anywhere but he want to check the creek bottom in front of us just in case. As I leaned against the hood of the truck he walked slowly up to the edge of creek bank. It's sides were nearly vertical and around 15 feet high. He pulled out his rangefinder and took a reading. Then walked a few more steps and all of the sudden drew his bow and shot. I watched all of this through my binoculars about 80 yards away! There were several deer in the creek bottom feeding out into an open patch of grass and he basically just waited until the small buck got there and killed him. The whole hunt took about 10 minutes and he stalked to 19 yards of these deer and got the job done. I had never experienced anything like that and was as excited as if I had killed the deer myself. Normally, neither of us would shoot bucks that small but we decided early on that with this being our first time and only having 5 days to hunt, we were going to kill the first legal deer we had a chance at. He actually stalked to within 20 yards of a definite P&Y quality buck but the wind shifted for a split second and blew the buck out of the canyon. Neither of us could be more proud though and are already planning on going back next year. Of course next time we are both going to try for better bucks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story Tristan. Thanks for sharing.

3. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a heck of a deer so season so far, now if I can just tag a nice whitetail buck it will have been another banner season here in MD. I was fortunate to be able to shoot this great little sika stag sat. I had hunted them once last year during rifle but this was my first time with a bow and with guys who knew what they were doing. I never could have done it without the help of some good friends that know the ropes. We were covered up in deer all afternoon but called this one in close. He stepped out at 20 and I put him down easy. The rut is in full swing and he was bugling and dogging a hind, it was a fun hunt, I haven't been shook like that in a while. I am awful proud of this deer! In my haste, I forgot to grab my bow for the pics. I did message an admin though to see if it will count or not.

[​IMG]

4. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Gents this is currently whats on the score card at this time:

nsuthoff - 69 3/8
    jimolsson7 - 50
    victoryhunter - 99 1/8

So Tristan is in the lead with a possible 149 1/8 after the sika is added. Did I miss anyone?

5. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys got the doe posted up. Back in NC now will finish out the week here then head back to Virginia on Monday.

6. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Gents please review the below and let me know if anyone is missing points so I can follow up. Thanks.

Team 19- 468 1/2 pts
    nsuthoff - 69 3/8
    victory hunter - 99 1/8
    Jimolsson7 - 50
    Coastie - 50
    copperhead - 50
    Suncrest - 50
    copperhead - 50 (Fergie)
    MIHOYT89 - 50

7. nsuthoff

nsuthoff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks good copperhead. How many people are still hunting?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

8. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been awhile since I've logged onto the site, good luck the rest of the season men!

9. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys at the moment looks like the lastest close date is January 15th. Victory Hunter leads with 99 1/8. Good luck gents and if you go out please be safe.

10. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Gents as of this morning here are the team status. January 31st is the end of the competition officially. Our team points leader is Victory hunter with 99 1/8 points. Two days to drop a buck for a few team members if your season is still in. On Feb 1st I will reach out to the team winner for shipping details for the team sponsored prized pack. Its been a great year and thanks to everyone for active participation.

Team 19- 468 1/2 pts
    nsuthoff - 69 3/8
    victory hunter - 99 1/8
    Jimolsson7 - 50
    Coastie - 50
    copperhead - 50
    Suncrest - 50
    copperhead - 50 (Fergie)
    MIHOYT89 - 50

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Craig for being the team captain and just making the year fun.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

12. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This sounds like a great idea!!!

13. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Unless there is a dispute Victory Hunter is the winner of the team prize pack. The pack includes : A refurbished Browning Trail Camera, Batteries, 8GB Class 10 SD Card, DDW Beanie, DDW Hand sanitizer, DDW wind detector, screw in accessory hooks and a Hawk Pull up rope.

Victory Hunter please PM or text me your mailing address. Enjoy and congratulations.