helping a new hunter

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BowHuntOntario, Oct 15, 2016.

1. BowHuntOntario

BowHuntOntario Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im not sure if there is a thread posted covering this already. But I was wondering peoples thoughts on the topic of helping a new hunter recover a deer? I got a call today while in my tree stand from a friend who just started hunting last season, had never taken a deer or see someone else shoot one. When I talked to him on the phone he told me he "smoked her" 20 yard quartering away shot and that the arrow went in a couple inches back from the the shoulder. I got to his farm to help look for the deer an hour after it had been shot, the next 5 hours were spent crawling on my hands and knees looking for blood once it started to thin out after the first 100 yards. We ended up losing blood after about 800 yards. so we started to grid search but were unable to recover it. So my question is whats the best way to approach a situation like this when you know the hunter is inexperienced?

2. Poke

Poke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got two friends I introduce to hunting have climbed down several times in the last couple of years to help them find deer they shot. My personal option but someone once did the same for me. Hopefully they are learning something from these experiences everything from tracking to field dressing I've tried to pass on. I guess it's your call on how you want to handle.

3. jtcozart21

jtcozart21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You helped him and he probably learned something.

You did your job.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. BowHuntOntario

BowHuntOntario Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I didn't meant it as a negative post. I'm more wondering if other people take new hunter at their word for how good the shot was or if I should have talked them into waiting longer before starting on the blood trail.

5. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Probly could have waited but if he thought the shot was good I would be trusting to just go in and try to find it, I guess all you can do is try to help him/her learn from the experience.

Good luck in future, don't them get discouraged

"Couldn't think of a good Signature"