A big tip to new bowhunters!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mottoman112, Oct 12, 2016.

1. mottoman112

mottoman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone. So like almost all of you I have been grinding hard out in the woods trying to put down my first deer with a bow. I am only 14. So I got my chance tonight. It was almost dark and a doe stepped out into the field. She was feeding my way so I slowly crept up to the very edge of the field as I was sitting on the ground a little ways into the field. As I got to my destination I turned and realized that 40 yards from me was 2 or 3 does and a handful of fawns and yearlings. The really big doe in the front saw me move, but was still curious. She came to about thirty yards and took of running. Two of the fawns fallowing. A smaller doe started to come right at me as well. I got her to about thirty yards, drew back, stopped her and let and arrow fly. The only problem with that was that I did not take my time. All veterans would know that I made a grave mistake. All i remember was that my thirty yard pin was on her head, her shoulder and I tried to put it behind the shoulder and the shot went off. I heard a loud thunk and she almost fell right over. She took off at lighting speed across the field, the other deer following. I quickly felt a fear that I now know is true. I hit her in the shoulder. I did find blood but not much. We decided that it would be best to pull out and not push it. We think that we know where she might have headed and piled up if that is the case. I am hoping that I will find her tomorrow

So here are the tips -

Before your brain starts to swirl when you realise that you are going to get a shot, remind yourslef to breath and TAKE YOUR TIME!

If you are not sure pull out and talk to a veteran if possible.

10-12-16

2. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You shot at her head???? wtf?

3. Skylar oren

Skylar oren Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can tell you im no veteran but have been bow hunting for about 8 years. I will say, every veteran has rushed the shot/made mistakes bow hunting. Its gonna happen, you can fight it all you want. you will always get the rush but like you said compose yourself, breath and make a the shot count. We owe it to them. I rushed the shot on a very nice buck on the 2nd and smacked him right in the front shoulder and never found a trace of anything all because i thought i could make the shot when in the back of my head i knew i couldnt. Stay after it and good luck on the recovery.

4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think he meant he was following the body line down her head to the shoulder with his sight pin. I'm hoping that's right.

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Things happen that are difficult to control. You learned a valuable lesson tonight about excitement and hunting. It's easy to have that happen and it still happens to me. Time and experience will help. And maybe a mild sedative. Haha! Stick with it and don't get discouraged. We're human and make mistakes. Good hunters make mistakes, great hunters learn from them.

6. mottoman112

mottoman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No I did not hit her in the head, we think I might have hit the shoulder.

7. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The good news is your a youngster and have already learned the most important lesson you could learn. It's always better to slow down and have a shot opportunity pass you buy than it is to make a poor shot. Best of luck the rest of the season.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have learned to spend just a few extra seconds to make sure that the pin is in the right place and the peep ring is aligned around the site ring properly before you let the arrow fly. You have to keep your cool under pressure and that takes practice.

9. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was she broadside or facing you?

10. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I aim for the head on all my deer.

11. Zardoz80

Zardoz80 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Happens to everyone. Tip is to practice calming yourself before the shot. Even in the yard draw, aim, take a breath and focus on calming yourself down sort of like meditating, then shoot.

12. Bow Duke

Bow Duke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Aim small, miss small. You certainly have plenty of time to properly compose your shots--as you know, don't rush.

Best of luck tracking her. The good news is that if you can't find her, there is a good chance she will survive.

13. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good Tip, "Rushing The Shot" is definitely a problem with many hunters.

14. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did you hear a sound when the arrow hit, like a thwack? if so u might have hit the paddle bone

15. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the shoulder area only has rib bones, the larger bones ae low, high or toward the front.
    deer-anatomy.jpg

Tags: