Never used mechanical.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SRSmith, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think there's at least a hundred threads on this topic.

2. Zardoz80

Zardoz80 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As a easy rule... If you are "not sure" if you can shoot a expandable...then you can't. Never fear there are a multitude of awesome fixed blades out there to choose from. Most hunters eventually get burned by a expandable and while they save a little walking on recovery losing a deer that you shot sucks. Reliability vs convenience.
    I use mech's on my property because it's only 10 acres, and I don't want to go on someone else's property. When I got hunt the WMA I shoot fixed blades either Wasp Drones or Slick Tricks. I'm not worried about tracking another 20 yards and I'm not burning $10 a shot.
    That said even when I shoot mechanicals I just deal hunt. I got some Dead Ringer Trauma's for $20 online, and a 5 pack of Axe broadheads for $24. I don't do the cheap china rage clones their quality control sucks, and I don't trust their blades. Rage's are $40 online or more in the store for 3 heads which I find ridiculous. I've also been known to grab Schwackers at Wal-Mart post season when they are less than $20 a pack.

You save about 20 yards on the recovery on average with a mechanical that is the only advantage I've found. You save 20 yards at the cost of $$$. I'm a working man I prefer a broadhead I can hunt with over and over again with a little blade sharpening in between.