how much practice?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Lifeofarush_06, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Lifeofarush_06

Lifeofarush_06 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hello everyone, ive never bow hunted before, and before i do go out, i wanna make sure i can execute a good, clean shot. I'm comfortable at 20 yards, and i think i could pull it off at 30. btw I'm going for blacktail and black bears here up on Vancouver island BC. My main question is what size grouping did you make sure you had before going on your hunts? I'm pretty consisted at getting a grouping no bigger than the size of a dinner plate at 20, should i am for smaller, or am i okay? (i am aware i need to be able to do the same at 30 and so on.)

Thanks everyone

Malcolm rush
    lifeofarush_hunting on instsgram

2. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It takes lots of practice, I shoot around the size of a baseball at 40 yards. I have made bad shots so no one is perfect. If u feel comfortable taking a shot then it's ok. You can never practice enough. I usually try and go out and shoot once or twice a week, however if u are shooting dinner plates at 20 then I would practice as much as you can. Shoot at 30 all day or even 40 so those 20 yard shots are really easy

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I practice at 30, 40 and 50 yards but don't plan on shooting past 30.
    Baseball sized groups at 40 is my standard and I try and shoot every day.

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say two inch groups should be your range.

If that's 10yds then so be it.

Enjoy the woods and stalking blacktail and get back to practicing for longer ranges for future hunts.

Google John Dudley from Nock On TV or podcast.

Lots of great advise for free.

Kilboars Hunt Club

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that there is never too much practice. Personally, I would hold off hunting until you can shoot baseball sized groups at 20. Factoring in nerves in the presence of an animal that grouping size will get bigger. A dinner plate-sized group at 20 will translate in to a miss or worst, a wounded and lost animal.

What part of Vancouver Island are you from? I grew up in Victoria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot just about every day, though since hunting season started, my work scheduled went nuts and haven't been able to shoot nearly as much as I want.

7. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot year round...

At 20 yards, before hunting, your arrows should touch each other.
    At 30 yards, baseball size grouping.
    At 40 yards, side plate size.
    At 50+ yards, you should hit a dinner plate groupings regularly before heading for the hunt.

I shoot up to 70 yards at home, but always limit myself to 30 yards for hunting (1st pin)

When the season approaches. I start using different targets for every arrow just because I'm cheap and the arrows start hitting each other...

When that bear or deer shows up, you want to be sure the first arrow with hit the vitals, even with adrenalin rushing and a moving, living target without any Red dot to mark the spot.

If you get a chance, try a couple of 3D targets before heading out...

8. Parkerg31

Parkerg31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I practice near close to every day and almost try to make time to. If I can't shoot during daylight I put my target three yards away and shoot point blank with eyes closed focusing on my release. When I go to the range I shoot one arrow at 70 and 50 to start. Then practice at 40-70 to make those shots really easy. You can never practice two much. Here is my first shot the other day at the range

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  10. TheMathewsGuy

TheMathewsGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Solid advice.

11. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your grouping is over an inch apart at 20 you may just be your grip or form. However, did you get measured and fitted for your bow? My guess is that the draw length it too small or big for you. I had the same problem when I first got started. It took a pro watching me and pointing that out before I realized why I couldn't hit tighter groups. If the draw is too short your forced to pull your head up to see out the peep. If it's too long your not pulling it back all the way and you flight pattern will always be different

12. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting groups is nice for practice. What is important for hunting is can you hit where you are aiming when under pressure and adrenaline. Something you can't 100% simulate. But you can come close, Do something to get your heart racing, and breathing heavy. Grab your bow and take one shot, from 30 yards if you can put that arrow within a 2-3" spot. Repeat that multiple days and if you can consistently hit the spot you are aiming at, you are probably ready.

13. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the consensus given hear, it is unethical to pull the string on game if the target area is further than the skill set. For deer (especially little bitty black-tails), shoot to a distance where you can keep all your arrows inside of a baseball. That is smaller than the vitals, but as has been eloquently pointed out, hunting groups are lots bigger than target groups, so you will have built in bit of allowance. I hunt squirrels with my compound and will not shoot further than 25 yards with a compound and 10 yards with a recurve. Dinner plate sized groups is definitely not small enough. It took me a long time to get groups small enough I feel comfortable hunting, for a recurve, it took me about a year.

14. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me personally I am really hard on my self currently I can hit a quarter at 50 yards 9/10 times if I can't do that then I'm tuning my bow my bow is always being shot I shoot daily even during the season

15. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    At 20-30 you should be able to hit a baseball every time. If you can't do that yet I would keep practicing until you can. Probably a form issue. Look up some videos or talk to someone you know that bow hunts to get some advice on shooting.

16. KY72

KY72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The best shots I've ever seen were on internet forums.

17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I practice clear out to 80 yards....but limit myself to approximately 40/45 yard shots while hunting if the deer is completely calm and say feeding....otherwise I'm a 35 yard and under type of guy.

There is no set "grouping" anyone can say with certainity before one is ready to hit the stand. My advice though personally would be to focus on taking 25 yard shots or closer for your first deer. Enough shaking and nervousness will exist you don't need to add in a distance element to it.

My typical grouping at 25 I'm happy with is like some have stated a baseball....35 I'll take a softball or slightly larger...45 I'm a fan of saucer plate and anything more think of a aluminum pie plate as sufficient.

Granted though I could group 6 arrows touching at 55 yards and I'm still not taking that shot while hunting. Personal choice and limit placed upon myself. Might change some day, but crazy thing is in all my years hunting (small compared to some) I've only had to take 1 shot over 30 yards ever (33). Most have been in that 22 yard range.

Keep shooting, and practice at least 10 yards farther than your self-imposed maximum as that will make the closer shots "seem" easier.

18. Lifeofarush_06

Lifeofarush_06 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    in I'm nanaimo

19. Lifeofarush_06

Lifeofarush_06 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks everyone for the help, ive been practicing everyday and watching many many videos on form and what not.

20. TheMathewsGuy

TheMathewsGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear! Are you noticing your groupings getting better?