Walking to the stand in the dark

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by alfarah50, Oct 6, 2016.

1. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a red light.Going in without any light is the best but I found out if I use a small light i can be much quieter,especially when walking through woods.

2. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my Dad have an ongoing debate on using lights/not using lights.As I mentioned earlier I prefer no light or a red light,he doesn't think regular lights spook deer at all and uses a bright LED light all the time.

3. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing worth mentioning about red lights is the don't affect your night vision. Your eyes don't have to readjust to low light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TommyP

TommyP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. My eyes adjust just fine to the darkness and I walk into and out of my stands without light. I know my way in and know what trees are down and branches to try and avoid. Give your eyes a chance to adjust before venturing out.

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trust me man, I know how you feel. Its not that your afraid of the dark. Your afraid of the Unknown. I deal with it myself and a lot of people do as well regardless if they want to admit it.

I bought myself a headlamp from a local store that changes from red/blue and 3 different levels of white. Most of the time I'll walk in with the white because I want to see especially if I'm walking to a spot that is deep in the timber. Some of the spots I hunt take 15+ mins to walk too so trust me when I say I know how you feel. I think you will always bump deer off so I just focus on getting myself to the stand in a way that makes me confortable and then I get settled in. I still see deer so just do what makes you feel comfortable.

Hell, even during the rut sometimes I wont start walking in until it gets light enough to where I can see, especially when its a long walk. Its the rut, the deer can come at anytime so just get there and hunt.

6. Rocketman_fl

Rocketman_fl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Would never walk in the dark in South Georgia period .. Not with the giant rattlesnakes I've seen on my property...in fact I was walking to a stand last week and chased off a few deer while using my white light, they never snorted.. And came back a few hours later right back to the feeder..

7. dantheman68

dantheman68 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a big fan of the light my wife bought me for my birthday. Its got a very bright white for nighttime tracking, and has a red light for walking in the morning the case provided also allows you to carry another set of batteries in case yours die. I'm not too big of a fan of morning hunts either and haven't had a chance to use the red light on a morning hunt yet this season.

Here it is.
    Explortek Red Nite-Blazer LED Headlamp with Case - - Amazon.com

8. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I try to be in stand settled & ready a half hour before legal shooting time or an hour before sunrise