broadhead tune or leave it alone

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TXsilverado, Oct 8, 2016.

1. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the apache micro and it's super nice and so quiet easy to tune aswell.

2. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    for those using the HDX drop aways, is the upper bar for the full capture feature removable?

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get a new string put on that thing and get her re-setup you will be a lot more confident when its all done with. If you got a good shop they should be able to have you all setup and ready to go in an hour tops if they know what they are doing. If your deer hunting with it, you owe it to the animal to make sure your equipment is setup and ready to go to the best of your ability.

4. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I do plan to get the string checked soon when i have my peep replaced. it's 5 years old, but probably doesnt have 200 shots on it. i waxed it before storing it, but I've heard of strings/cables rotting from the inside out.

hopefully i'm not coming across too hard headed to you guys. i wouldn't hunt with it if there was any doubt in my mind. the bow is shooting damn good on the bench tune. i have my own tools to do a bench tune. the nock is not high/low and the center shot is dead on. it's doesn't shoot "perfect darts", but probably better than a ton of bows that will take deer this year. I've never shot a a deer with a bow that wasn't retrieved, and i would like to keep that trend going (whether it has been luck or not). i wish i could say I've never lost a fish when bowfishing:confused:as it sits, the bow is hitting the bull every shot as long as i do my part. i figure hitting the target is more important than having a perfect paper tear. grouping field tips with broadheads would be cool though and i'd like to get it there eventually but I've already started to practice with BH only for only 2-3 arrows per day. it's too late to start changing everything. if i cant put all 3 shots in a 3" bull at 20 yards on a daily basis; i'm not ready. once it gets colder i'll knock that down to 1 shot per day. it worked back in my competition days to really force the idea into my head that i only get 1 shot. it's frustrating as hell on those days that your 1 shot didn't count!

when it becomes time for new arrows, i'll get the proper spine and start fresh on attempting a broad head tune. with my current .400 spine, i dont think new strings and tune will solve anything. i'd be chasing my tail trying to tune it with a less than ideal spine. as long as they're hitting inside of the X with a BH, i'm happy. i'll also buy a more easily adjustable drop away rest with those new arrows to make the tuning a little easier on myself. taking the advice of a local shop for my last dozen arrows is frustrating when they spine you too weak.

keep the drop away rest recommendations coming if you have one you like. I've been out of the hunting game for a long time and don't know the latest and greatest gadgets. so far the QAD looks like a winner in my book.

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup the QAD HDX is a top notch rest. I was previously using a whisker biscuit and it was really hard to get away from that but once I was talked into switching by guys on here I never looked back.

Another rest to check out are the ones by NAP. A lot of guys use them including some of the BHOD crew

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never removed mine but know guys who have pushed the part out, it's plastic but a press fit.

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not necessarily. A lot of broadhead tuning issues don't show up until you back up some. I have had broadheads hit perfect out to 30, get back to 40 and it took some tuning to dial in.

8. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are both your limbs tightened down the same? Also, did you say your 70# is now 65#?
    Did you check your limb situation?

9. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    String streched , and timing may be out

10. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    it's bottomed out so they are the same. axle to axle is supposed to be 32". i measured last night and it's a hair over. a couple twists to the string should fix it.

can timing be out on a single cam bow?

11. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, your timing can still be out on a single cam. There are just less factors for it to be out by.

12. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    how would i know if timing is out? 1 big cam, and 1 round cam with a solid stop. is there a good how to around here? my google search pulled up a bunch of big dual cammed bows.

13. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i went through the bow tonight without any distractions. axle to axle measures 32" as it should and the bow scale registers 65lbs on a maxed out 70lb bow. the academy scale is probably 15 years old so it's likely off a few lbs. the draw stop was the only thing i could think to cause the timing to be off with this old lightning cammed bow. the stop is in the right spot for the module i'm using.

nock point checked out perfect according to the berger hole.

I moved the rest down a hair to put the arrow inside the berger with the arrow 100% level (nock point is 1/8 above level).

then i found where i screwed the pooch last time i bench tuned it. i couldn't understand why the center shot didn't line up when i just set it 2 days ago...i measured from several points before i accidentally found out the center shot lined up perfect when the drop away rest wasnt up...I didnt raise the rest when setting the center last time. the rest was picking up the arrow and moving the arrow about 1/4" to the left. i got that straightened out and everything seems to have come together. preliminary finding is that the broadheads now goup with the field tips at 10 and 20 yds. my last shot with a BH and FIELD were perfect center of a 5" bull at 20 yds (couldnt see the 3" targets through my peep at midnight)

i grabbed my BH arrow with a nocturnal nock and the slight left/right shimmy the arrow had is gone (from the naked eye). I'm still under spined but these results have me optimistic about stepping back further to see if i can gain a bit more with broadhead tuning. i'm no more/less confident in the bow but i'm excited that the BH and field tips are grouping together now. my target will last me lot longer if i can practice with field tips. Thank you guys for the help and ideas on everything to check. when the time comes for new sticks, i'll have to grab one of the qad rests.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  14. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    first of all, anyone in the houston area needs to check out the bow zone in Humble. they have an amazing operation there. 50 yds indoor range, 3d range, 20 yd paper range, and a projection screen range. best of all, it's only about 5 minutes from me.

my bow went 70# on their scale. they checked my string, tied in new whiskers, tied down an aluminum peep and sold/cut up a half doxen dozen maxima blu rz 350 at 29.5" with 125 grain field tips.

it took me about 10 minutes to have it shooting paper at 3/6/9/12 yds. it registers 253 fps on this old bow. my cheap drop away that i was worried about tuned in quickly so i kept it. arrow is right, it shoots paper, same impact point from 5-20 yds and i set a 30 yd pin. i just stuck a broad head on a new arrow and it's nowhere near the field tip. congrats to those of you who have a bow that will shoot a BH and field together. i give up. i'll sight in my hunting bow with broad heads and quit pulling my hair out.

15. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Should have taken a new shaft and cut the vanes off and shoot it with a field tip with some with vanes. Bare shaft tune. I have found this so helpful in matching the shaft to the bow. I have done this and cured some guys issues at the range. An inch is a lot on a carbon shaft.

16. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I came in not wanting to spend any money, and here I am with new arrows and new rest LOL. I installed a QAD ultra hdx last night. very happy with the purchase! it cleaned up the riser of my bow a little and my old rest was giving me a blister on top of my shooting hand where it would sometimes pinch me. when removing the old rest I took measurements of my tuned rest so I could install the QAD close. the arrow was sitting over 1/4" to the right of center to get a bullet hole which seems excessive. I remember thinking my sight seems really far to the right also (almost behind the riser). next time out I will try tuning my center shot by adjusting the yoke string instead of the rest. I've never done it but i'm willing to try anything. had the bow drilling with a field point last time out, now I'm jacking with it again HAHA.

17. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Limbdriver Pro-V is the best IMO but a lot of folks use QAD.

18. Duece Ranch

Duece Ranch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Big Quad fan here

19. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    paper tuned the new qad rest and couldnt move it far enough to the right without running into the riser which wasnt an issue with my old rest. i started putting twists into the yoke. at a certain point it stopped helping. my final attempt to get a bullet hole was to drop from a 125 gr to a 100 and presto. back into a bullet hole. havent sighted the bow yet or tried a broad head to see if it hits the same point. the saga continues.