Ugh...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sig239, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with this season and new property.

2. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if your using sent controller shower spray deodorant washing ur clothes in it spraying down be for you go in spraying your boots and your hunting the wind then there are no deer using that area. or ur just hunting the wrong areas id be upset if I hunted a whole weekend and didn't see 3 deer. let alone 15 years man oh man

3. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know exactly where you're hunting. That's the TVA land. I've killed a few deer there including a doe last year. There's actually a few deer there. There's several people that hunt it though, especially by boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. sig239

sig239 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yep. There were two guys coming out as I went in on Fri. Didn't see any though.

5. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    There will be a lot of people that like to hunt up top. Especially as the gun seasons open

6. sig239

sig239 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never went up in the northern part or in that northern field. I've mostly stayed in that little bowl kinda in the middle or at the bottom at that bowl leading up to that field.

7. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What state are we talking about here? That can make a lot of difference, I know in some areas of the Northeast like NH and NY there are forest areas where the deer are few and far between. Also, keep in mind that with a bow the shot distance makes it increasingly challenging to get a shot. I see deer almost every single time I hunt, but I don't always have a shot opportunity b/c they may be too far off etc

8. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a couple bad streaks myself. I started shooting indoor to help. Every shot you hit something!

9. Pichy

Pichy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta give you credit for your determination. When I was a kid starting out, I used to hunt the same spot over and over. Of course I never saw anything decent. Then I finally started playing the wind and not hunting the same spot over and over. My deer sightings went way up. Deer, especially older ones, will not stay on a daylight pattern if they keep finding your scent on the ground. Scout mostly in spring or after deer season. Keep out of your best spots until the timing is right. They pick up on your scent quickly, and change their patterns. I save my best spots for early November, and then only if the wind is good for that stand. Most times, I can count on seeing deer, and I usually kill my best bucks the first time hunting a spot. Also, use trail cameras, but don't check them every week. Be patient (no one is more patient than you!), play the wind, and hunt lots of spots a little, instead of few spots a lot. Good luck and let us know how your season goes.

10. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it my friend, you are not the only one in that club.Oct 1st, opening day I was upstate NY. Looking to my left, scanning nice and slow see nothing. As I turn my head to the right, big fat doe standing 13 yards looking at me, heard nothing, never saw her coming. Just be patient it`ll happen.

11. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is the guys leaving the woods at 09:30 that have given me so many deer over the years. My largest buck came at 13:00 and now it is good that most sit around the corn fields and keep the deer out where I am.

12. sig239

sig239 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey y'all. I don't leave my stand til 10:30-11. Try to get in for afternoons before 4.

Well this morning was a roller coaster of emotions. Had another buddy take me to his land. Had a 6 or 8 pt buck come in right at day break to ~45 yds. I thought I put a good shot on him. He was broadside. I let my release surprise me, held my follow through, heard the thump, and he kicked back and ran face first in the dirt for 10 yards with his front leg hanging back. I'm thinking I finally did it.

But I couldn't find any blood. Couldn't find my arrow either. I feel terrible right now. I do not wanna wound deer. I know 45 is a long shot but I practice out to 60 and am hitting a 4 in circle. I even shot a 60 yd shot as soon as I got home with another arrow from my quiver and it was bullseye.

We grid searched the entire area to the edge of the property I was hunting and couldn't find anything. Anyways, feel pretty crummy. I hope I missed em.

13. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of sight do you use? If it's a fixed pin I'd bet you hit him low. As in the upper part of the leg. There should definitely be an arrow or blood.

Blood generally takes a few yards to find and often times what happens is once you get on the ground things look different and you struggle to find where the deer was standing. It's always a good practice to make mental notes of landmarks of where the deer was standing or something he ran by as he was taking off.

I wouldn't leave until I found my arrow no matter what. That deer was hit, they don't face plant for no reason generally. I know it's tough since it's not your property but you must get back out there and put your time in trying to find it.

Also, lighted nocks are your friend!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  14. sig239

sig239 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He was back on the cams this morning. I'm guessing he ducked the arrow. I guess the smack I heard was the arrow hitting a rock or log or something. Glad I didn't hit em.

Matt I was looking at lighted nocks. We'll see about getting some. And we looked over the whole property to the line. I didn't wanna give up on it if I did hit em. This morning on the cams shows why we didn't find em.

15. ShortBus453

ShortBus453 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Don't feel too bad, I hunted for 12 years before I shot my first deer. Have now hunted for 26 years and have only shot 9 deer, and only 2 of those were with a bow. Everyone used to pick on me saying that I had to be deer blind or something, because I just wasn't seeing them, but now that I have been mentored, I at least see them. To me success is seeing the little buggers (even on trail camera).

Your luck will improve. God must be saving you one worth waiting for.

16. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    That's great you got that closure. Good luck the rest of the season

17. Mnardo72

Mnardo72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Big fan of Pals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sig239 likes this.
Tags: