Walking to the stand in the dark

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by alfarah50, Oct 6, 2016.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who hates walking to his stand in pitch black lol. Does an LED flashlight spook deer? What are some tips tricks to getting into the stand in the AM safe an easy that wouldn't spook deer. I have about a 100 yard walk in marsh wetland/logged trees to my stand an i want to make it as quiet and quick as possible.

2. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a very dim red head lamp....

3. TheMathewsGuy

TheMathewsGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sane here.

4. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've walked up on bucks bedding down with a red headlamp, and does as well. I'm pretty sure they aren't spooked by it! haha. Just get one from walmart, they are worth it!

5. Donkey Deerz

Donkey Deerz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Cyclops ranger this year and really like it. I walk in with the green light. Once I put my climber on the tree I switch to the red light until I get set up. I'm normally settled 1-1.5 hrs before daylight. With the green light I've walked within 40-50 yards of deer without spooking them. The light also has a super bright led light for tracking or skinning and it didn't break the bank.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  6. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use regular white led and doesn't seem to bother deer, your gonna spook something a lot of times anyways if your in close proximity but you'll spook more if your loud cuz you can't see what your stepping on and your scent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Learn the route to your stand like you know the inside of your house. I never use a light going into the woods in the morning. If you break a twig in the dark, a deer doesn't know what broke it, but a deer knows for sure what is casting a light.

8. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Red red red. I use to feed deer behind my house. I could shine my red flashlight on them from my window and they would never move. Tried it with white light and they ran. Green seemed to alert them but not spook them enough to run but they seemed to take notice of it. Just my 2 cents.

9. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1.5 hours before daylight!? People think I'm nuts if I start walking 30 mins before daylight

10. Donkey Deerz

Donkey Deerz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Growing up that's how my Dad taught me and so its what I've always done. We've both had success by making this our normal practice. I admit it gets cold and boring but many times I have deer under my stand at daylight. I believe that if I got there say 30 minutes before daylight I would bump the deer a lot since they are often up and moving towards food sources.

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I do my all day day sits during the rut I'm in my stand an hour before first light. It does make a difference in my opinion. Hence my user name.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^This^

13. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If youre accessing where deer are at ur stand early in the mourning all the time. Forget mourning hunting there. Try so where else where I don't hear deer mako by spoof noise

14. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I meant try somewhere else where deer don't spoof you out

15. robgunther87

robgunther87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I try to stay away from using lights, you never know what you could push to someone else and ruin the rest of your hunt. If I need a light, I'll use on on my phone for a very short period before turning it off, like getting the stand on the tree.

16. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried going without lights in the past, both for the deer and so others wouldn't see where I was walking from, but after last year, walking out in the dark with no light, I got lucky and the moonlight wsnts just bright enough on the spot where my foot was going to fall next, and where a 3.5 foot rattlesnake was crawling....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

17. rth548

rth548 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I try to be in my stand an hour before first light, and depending on where I'm hunting I'll either use moonlight or an LED headlamp. My box blind is on the edge of a field, so I can get to it without turning on any lights, but when I hunt in the woods I need my headlamp to get to the stand and get in and situated.
    With an hour until daylight, it's not unusual to have deer under me even though I used a light to get into the stand. Once things quiet down, of course.

18. spartanhuntr

spartanhuntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Moon first...then light.

First I use the moon with no light. That is obviously preferred. If it is too dark, my next trick is that I put trail makers very low on trees/stumps on the trail so that I keep my "green" headlamp angled almost in front of my boots in to the ground. I stay on the right side of my boundary trail an have numbered tacks for each stand. 1 tack is first stand. 2 tack is second.

With my light facing almost down to the ground you cannot see it beyond about 10 yards from me. I also have cover I have added down each edge of my boundaries. So, a deer cannot see he light on the ground unless it is also on the trail. I think the biggest issue is when guys swing their heads around causing an almost strobe effect. I can see my neighbor walking a quarter mile from me because it bounces/swings, etc.

I personally think it is impossible to never bump a deer. Unfortunately, the nicer I make my boundary trails, access trails and human travel routes the more they seem to use them. Ha. But I am doing my best.

19. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a red or green light and or hold the light down low in my hand with my fingers blocking most of the light and just walk in that way.

I don't mind walking in in the dark but catching a stick in the face, stepping on a moccasin or walking into a large banana spider web is not great for the hunt either.

Kilboars Hunt Club

20. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On public land I use a headlamp (red), I don't know the trails nearly as well On the private land I there are a couple spots where if it is cloudy, it is impossible to pass without aid of a light of some sort. Just to thick.

Once the snow falls, no light needed anymore.