Looking for seasoned public land hunter advice...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by eric.landry.7583, Oct 2, 2016.

1. eric.landry.7583

eric.landry.7583 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys,

I've scouted a HUGE (136 acres) plot of public land a bunch of times this summer and have lined up a few trees I'm brining my climber too this season. I've also had a great opportunity to meet THE ONLY OTHER LOCAL HUNTER in the area. How said all the local guys are to old to climb the hills anymore, so they stay down at the base of the forest in ground blinds.

So here's my question... because of the scarcity of human presence at the top of the hill and the weight of my big climber, would you lug it in, lock it up in a very hidden section. As I've said I've been up there a number of times - ZERO evidence of any human activity at all each of the times I've been up scouting. I've spotted more scat and scrapes closer to the top which is why I feel it might be worth it & it would reduce the amount of sweat generated on the hike in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't this like deja-vu???????????

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good area, but I wouldn't take the chance leaving the stand , locked or otherwise. Years ago, I had a LW sit and climb stolen from PRIVATE land that I had cable locked!! Leaving ANYTHING on public land is risky. There's your advice from a 13 year public land hunter.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Steve Daniel likes this.
  4. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We all take calculated risks everyday. Sounds like you're trying to convince us it will be fine locked to a tree. How much do you love the climber and how bad is the hike in. Only you can answer. If losing the climber throws off my season, I'd haul it in unless I'm 96% sure it'll be where I left it.

5. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I'm spoiled with 300,000 acres of public land in the county I live in. I attack that a 640 acre section at a time.

Lock the stand up. Save yourself the extra work getting in. Public land is always a gamble leaving the stuff in the woods. If it's not worth the risk for you haul it in there.

6. eric.landry.7583

Dislikes Received:
    Yes that's awesome early in. Although I'm very happy with having the opportunity this year to hunt some private and public spots that are pretty big. With that said - other t'han you fellas that have your own HUGE properties to hunt, do each of you hump in your gear every time and hump it out every time - climbing or hang on w/ sticks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I'd rather leave a fixed up at stand level and pack quick sticks in and out.

8. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What i do on the public I hunt is I put up hang ons in multiple locations and lock them in and I just take my climbing sticks with me on every hunt, I use 4 lone wolf sticks and just buy cheap 50$ hang ons. If I discovery a new spot I'll take my climber to scout it out and if it proves to be a good spot I'll put up a hang on. Many ways to approach public, at the end of the day if someone wants your stuff bad enough there gonna get it !

9. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are most states that don't allow perminant stands on public land. I don't think it's a big deal leaving ur stand for lunch. But it's a big deal with the law if you leave it perminant.

10. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just because it looks like there are no other hunters, this could change drastically, especially as soon as gun seasons open up. People come from all over and end up in public honey holes.

11. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On a small patch like 136 acres that stand won't last long no matter how hard you think it is to get too. If you want to leave it go for it but just don't expect it to stay put. IMO Either pack in and out or ground pound it.

12. eric.landry.7583

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for the very insightful feedback. Just ordered a very light weight minimal climber - I'm gonna pack it in & pack it out for now.

Bowtech Carbon Knight
    29DL
    62DW
    Single Pin
    Peep Site

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't mention this before, but I will leave my stand in the woods on public if I KNOW I'll be back before first light the following morning. Other than that, it comes and goes as I do.

14. mtnops

mtnops Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My advice to you is that I would recommend contacting your state division of wildlife and see what the regulations are on using a lock-on. I contacted Ohio Division of Wildlife and they stated as long as nothing is being screwed into the tree or the stand is fixed as permanent then I'm fine. I use ratchet straps and the Hawke climbing sticks and take them down when I'm not hunting it then pull my stands at years end. Just something to consider

15. robgunther87

robgunther87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Second this. I generally will leave my climber out on the weekends when I know I'll be going back out at first light. Otherwise I take it out with me...

16. dantheman68

dantheman68 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't leave mine on public unless I could afford to lose/replace it. Since I have one stand, if I lose mine, my season is done until I can replace it. With that said, I've got a hang on and I take it off every time I leave.

17. Steve Daniel

Steve Daniel Newb

Dislikes Received:

18. Steve Daniel

Steve Daniel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had 3 chain on stands I left on our club. I locked them in place, and took my steps with me. I figured a thief would have to find my stand, get 20 foot up the tree to my stand, cut the chain, then get back to the ground without breaking their necks. That's a lot of work for a $50 stand. My chain on's started out life as Strap On's, but I converted them to chain ons so I could lock them in place. When climbing was no longer an option, I gave them to a younger buddy. My advice is never leave anything in the woods you can't replace. I left mine because it would be more trouble to steal them than they were worth. My last piece of advise is don't park your truck where you plan to enter the woods. I try to park down the road a couple of hundred yards, and tie a piece of flagging tape around a tree by my truck. On the wrong side of the road from my hunting area. You would be amazed at the number of guys who ride the roads, looking for where people are hunting. TOO DAMN LAZY TO SCOUT.

19. That'sABingo

That'sABingo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    take out what you take in.

early in likes this.
  20. Francis

Francis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buckeye is the guy to ask about public land huntinf, he has it all figured out