The 4 things you gotta do to kill big bucks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A good friend of mine, who consistently shoots big mature deer said: "There are 4 things you gotta do to kill big bucks".

No, it's not buy an ozonics or shoot a Mathews.

He said "Too many people complicate matters by buying into gimmicks and the latest and greatest products that hit the market. But In the scheme of things it's just 4 general things that a successful hunter does to shoot one consistently".

1. You've gotta hunt where big ones live.
    "It sounds too simple, but if you are hunting an area that doesn't hold the bucks you are looking to shoot, then you are wasting your time. No matter how many hours you put in, if you are not hunting the right area, you're never going to shoot a big buck".

2. You've gotta pass up the smaller ones.
    "Quite a few people ask me why they don't see or shoot any big mature bucks, and then proceed to show me the picture of the 2.5 year old 8 point they shot as a consolation prize. So many times guys shoot deer that never live to reach their full potential, because they have a nice frame even as a young buck. You can't do this. Though it may be tough, you have to let them reach maturity if you want to see their potential."

3. You've gotta put in your time.
    "I've met a lot of people that stay inside when the conditions aren't ideal even if they have the opportunity to hunt. You can sit around waiting for these ideal conditions for the entire season, but the bottom line is you have to play to win. Obviously, real life gets in the way, but when you have the opportunity to hunt, never pass it up. In order to kill big bucks, you have to suffer a little".

4. You've gotta seal the deal.
    "This perhaps is the hardest of all for most people. It's definitely easier said than done. You can't crack under pressure, or succumb to buck fever. You have to be alert and aggressive in the moments leading up to the shot. This means doing everything you can to fight the adrenaline rush, and stay calm. Only when you can do this, can you seal the deal on a big buck".

"These are the four things that I feel have played the largest part in my success. While they may seem simple, they are actually quite complicated when it comes time to put them to use. Consistently doing these four things will give you the best chance at killing mature deer".

These things actually stick with me. Coming from a guy whose shot 26 Pope and Young bucks, I consider this valuable advice, despite it's simplicity.
    It's definitely an interesting take from an old timer, who has had great success for years before something like Ozonics was even a concept. Take it for what it's worth, but I thought it was an interesting bit of insight that is sometimes over complicated.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good read. I agree 100%. I tell myself every year on October 1st, the moment can come at any time. Without fail I have one chance per year to get the job done on one that belongs on the wall. Sometimes I pull it off, sometimes I don't. Sometimes its because the hand I'm dealt and sometimes its how I play my cards.

3. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very good read. Here is one thing I'd like to Add and I'm just as guilty as the next guy.trail cameras. Yes they are a great tool and let you no whats there but they also make us lazy. Go put your cam out and check it. And your not putting your boots on the ground. Trail cams only tell one story time in the stand tells alot more. Even though they are a great tool.

4. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more. Especially with the passing on bucks. A lot of people are just quick to get it done and shot the first deer they see because they are tired of not seeing deer. I've passed deer that were decent 110" to 120" and never seen another buck but the next season that buck was 140" to 150". Gotta pass them up.

I would also add stay in your stand all day regardless. The chances of you shooting a large mature buck are at the highest between 10 and 2.

5. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agree, but there is so much more to it. In heavily hunted areas that most of us hunt you often have to find the unlikely spot, the place where a big buck does not encounter hunters. It could be a large jug handle off a highway, an unbuildable lot in the middle of a development, a small strip of woods behind a row of stores, an overgrown area in the middle of an office park...basically anyplace that can hide a deer, but hunters would never think to look. And then you have to be very careful about how and when you hunt such a spot. Most truly mature bucks ain't just walking around in the woods, except maybe in the heat of the rut.

6. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No offense to your friend, but a ten year old could have thought of this.

7. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Simple but Excellent advice!