Moving a tree stand a week into season I

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by StinkyMatt, Oct 8, 2016.

1. StinkyMatt

StinkyMatt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Help me out.

scouted a piece of land for a few months before season. I had multiple deer on cameras prior to the season, all times of day and night. Installed a tree stand on the edge of a clover/ grass field.

Ive sat in that tree stand 3 times this season, did not see a single deer and the wind is completely wrong for that stand every single time. I've discovered that the predominant wind is from my back when in the stand.

thinking of moving it to an edge of a standing corn field.

this is a large double ladder stand, will make a lot of chaos when I install it.

will moving it this late in season mess things up? How soon after I install it can I hunt in it?

thank you for your advice.

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would get in there and move it and let it sit for a day or two before you hunt. Try to get it in a tree with good cover on that edge.

3. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the wind is wrong for that stand it's no good to you. Moving it mid-day won't hurt a thing in my opinion. It's always nice to have your stands hung/set up early but since I hunt public land, my stand gets set new, every time I go hunting. Move the stand where the wind is in your favor and kill some deer. Good luck to you.

4. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You'll be fine moving it. Just let it sit like said already. I pulled a stand but didn't haven't time to move it just yet. I'll put it in a new spot on the 16th went I get back to the property then I'll let it sit until Halloween.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Move it and hunt it. There is no reason to let it sit. I have killed a bunch of deer on the first sit. I do not understand why people are so afraid to move.

Moving a two person ladder stand is a pain. Keep these stand in locations that serve as good observation sites or in locations like funnels where you know you will be seeing deer travel. Keep some small portable stands ready to go if you see a pattern develop you can move and make it happen.

Deer are smart be smarter! Don't wait for luck to bring one to you. Hunt it down.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree!! Just make sure you have good cover and try to do it during or just before a rain storm. This will help wash away any scent left in the area from you moving it.

7. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a ladder at 1 of my spots and after hunting the stand made some observation from it and then went back out there with my hang on and put it up 2 days later hunted it and Doe down also had two youngsters come in the same night it was windy when I moved the other stand in so do it while it's still early in the game

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt it the same day as you move it. Deer sometimes will come in just to check it out. Sounds like your spot now is getting winded before they even come to the field. I rarely sit in the same tree when hunting, sometimes I may only move 20 yards to set up closer to the deer movement or keep the deer on there feet. Once spotted in a tree I usually never sit that tree the rest of the season. The only time I sit the same stand day after day is during the rut.

9. ruttin2

ruttin2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hang it and hunt it same day I do it with success just take it time and.... shhhhhhh

10. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed hang and hunt. Just like using a climber

11. StinkyMatt

StinkyMatt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for the advice.

will move the stand tomorrow. Found a great new spot.

12. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't let it sit, be as quiet as you can putting it up, don't get too sweaty, and then kill something out of it tomorrow night.