***Buck Brothers - Team 23***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Pitman, Aug 15, 2016.

1. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get'm boys! Good luck this weekend.

2. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went scouting today at a local semi-public spot. The land is open for bow hunting on Oct 11 and I wanted to get in at least once before. I walked about 3 hours (it is a massive preserve) and investigated 2 swamps, their water sources and a ton of hills, benches, draws and funnels. Loads of tracks, little scat and no rubs/scrapes. This place receives very little pressure and it is truly massive (8,000 acres and 110 miles of trails). I'm going to the least traffic areas and getting far off of the trails. Hopefully something walks by.

Tonight was the first sit of the year and it was on a friend's private land. As I walked to the first stand I ever hunted in, a doe was backlit by the sun about 100 yards away in the woods, browsing by a river. I tried to cut her off on foot and she busted me really quick and ran off. Too many dry leaves, and no wind or noise to help cover me up.
    After getting in the stand a few hours passed before another doe and a fawn appeared about 150 yards away and left before getting close enough for a shot.
    Around 6pm a big doe and her fawn came walking in a creek that is dry but has a lot of vegetation. They browsed and slowly worked their way to about 35 yards. As they licked their back hoof I stood up and grabbed my bow. The big doe, licking her haunch with her head in the opposite direction, busted me. I was totally silent, 21' up a tree, they were upwind with their head in the opposite direction of me. I was a statue for about 3 minutes while she bobbed and weaved enough to exhaust Joe Frazier. She jumped across the creek, stared at me some more, bobbed her head and took off with her fawn. Such a frustrating moment for me.

While getting out of the stand I saw 2 bucks (no shooters) and 4 doe. I bumped them off the property while leaving. No way around doing it.

Good first day but I wish I was skinning and butchering right now. Next sit is maybe tomorrow and definitely in a ground blind on Saturday AM.

3. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    At least you saw some action, trying to get out in the morning don't get out of work till midnight

4. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Headed out in the morning to one of my favorite stands. It's a roll of the dice whether I'll get blown out on my way in is the only concern. Good luck to those headed out!

5. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sat this evening but didn't see anything but an armadillo. Good spot but too early really to see much. Another couple weeks should be different. I also heard some hogs fighting but they didn't show themselves.

6. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sat in a blind today. Saw 2 squirrels and heard no less than 20 shots from a rifle at the neighbors property. This weekend is the youth hunt in NY. seriously...who needs to shoot that many shells to kill deer. Perhaps some time at the range would help them

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  7. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got Snow
    Looks like it's here to stay too. Might head out for an afternoon hunt, good luck everyone.
    Rocky

8. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw hawks and tree rats, cold front moving in tonight gonna try to get out tonight if rain holds off. Then back at it tomorrow

9. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well today really beat me up...had a decent 10 pointer bust me right at first light. Was just breaking day and could barely see his silhouette walking slowly at 17 yards in front of me. All of a sudden he stops dead in his tracks as light was quickly approaching and looks right up at me and takes off. Stops at the wood line and then just walks off and away. I still can't believe it, how and why did he pin me down?!? Wind was perfect! Truly something! Was a slow day after that until last light. Had the same group of does and their fawns come through, the does I have passed already, but given how today had went I had no problems deflating one! One nanny doe stood right in my only lane that I didn't have a clear shot in at 15 yards while her twins ran around frolicking. Raining through the night tonight, hope it stops at some point tomorrow so I can head out in the afternoon. Going to keep at it.

10. youngfart

Dislikes Received:
    Still Snowing Today
    Wow getting lots of snow and I haven't put anything away for the winter. Real heavy stuff too ,damp & wet just what I need! Maybe wait till it stops before I go.
    Rocky

11. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Post a pic of the snow.

12. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Had an exciting sit this evening. Got to the farm and the farmer was there harvesting the corn. I got set up and had him rolling by 20 yards from me over and over. It didn't bother the deer though. I had a small 6 point come out into the cut field with the combine literally less than 100 yards away. He worked his way within 25 yards of me and waited until the combine was 50 yards from him before he took one jump back into the woods. Also saw 3 does but closest was 50 yards. Things will definitely change now that all the corn is gone.

13. youngfart

Dislikes Received:
    vermontwhitetail
    I ended up not going ,sorry I didn't take any pics.
    Rocky

14. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Did I read tha right HardWoods, did you take a doe Saturday?

15. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Or on second read were you saying you would have but no clear shot? Think I answered my own question. Fun to see all the deer, , bummer on the buck and doe.

16. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering the same thing.

17. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Took one tonight boys

ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1476147887.964918.jpg

ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1476147905.956321.jpg

I'll get her uploaded to the scorecard once I'm back home and settled.

18. youngfart

Dislikes Received:
    TheHardWoods913
    Congrats on the doe
    Rocky

19. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    50pts for the good guys

20. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know why the pics came out so blurry uploading them from my phone. These should be better. Going to post it up to the scorecard now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]