Hunt the wind question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ironman10, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Ironman10

Ironman10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did just watch 2 does and 4 yearlings walk the yellow path and enter the woods. I figured just because I can't be in the woods didn't mean I couldn't watch from a distance haha. Just confuses the heck out of a guy when they take a path with the wind when we figure they should be going against it.

Attached Files:

2. Mnardo72

Mnardo72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am limited to public land with pre-numbered stand areas. Opening week of archery is tomorrow. Every stand will be filled for a few weeks and the wind direction does not matter because you have no say.

I've taken a 153 and 135 with muzzleloader at 12 and 50 yds respectively. I guess the deer are so used to human scent from the park goers that it just doesn't matter to them.

My approach there is no movement, no noise. Many of the other hunters use rattle bags and grunt calls. I sit perfectly still and have had huge success.

I also was about to climb down a few years back and took a pee from the stand. I had lowered my bow and was about to get down when a nice 120 8-PT approached. He came right to bottom of tree and hung out for almost a minute. Never reacting a bit to the scent. Since then, I just pee from the stand and always have deer walk right past or over it and it makes no difference

The marketing gurus have us in line like sheep.

I remember my dad used to hunt in jeans and a red flannel jacket and never needed good camo or ozonix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know the importance of staying upwind of a deer, I know first hand. But how often does a deer follow a script? If I relied on waiting for the wind to be right I might as well not even hunt, rarely do winds stay consistent in my area, constantly swirling. I gave sound advice, if he wants to sit at home and give himself 0% chance of getting anything, yeah that great advice to give someone. Not everyone has the chance to have a lot of time in the woods, when that's the case get out when you can and hope for the best. What makes me laugh is people acting like deer follow a script and if you go out when the wind might be a bit off you're screwed to start out with. You're screwed and guaranteed to to not get anything if you're not out there.