Now what???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Windwalker7, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Think back on BHOD when John Herman forgot his bow in Wisconsin for his Illinois trip! :tu:

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to buy my waterfowl stamps on opening day in IL once. Had to drive over an hour to get it and by the time I got back everyone in my party had already killed out.

3. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been there myself, I've forgotten arrows as well. Sorry about your luck. I began to attach my release to my upright Everytime after I used it and always hooked my quiver back on my bow after use.

4. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I once brought the wrong arrows somehow. Had field tips on. Needless to say I didn't shoot anything. (Or did I)

5. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I'll admit this. Sat my bow on the ground behind the truck after an evening sit while I got all my gear off. Well.....I realized when I got home I didn't have it. Drove back and found it destroyed with a bent riser. Hard lesson to learn one week into the season.

6. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My thumb release goes in the zipper pocket of my harness. I don't head to the tree without my harness, so my release is always there.

Yes, this came from a couple times of forgetting it in the truck, other set of hunting clothes, etc...

7. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never forgot mine (because women remember everything, right....lol) - as it goes onto my wrist when I leave the house.

But, husband forgot his and had to use my back up. The guy would forget everything if it wasn't for me. Heck, he lost his license opening day this year.

8. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That does suck. Happened to me before too.
    I now carry a second release for just that reason.

9. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I carry a second release and I put my thumb release with my binoculars so I don't forget either one, or I forget both.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did that once. Now, my release is either on me, or fastened to my bow. And, I have a spare in my pack. Its a super simple fix.

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I admire you for being so honest about something that serious! Here's one that's similar. A number of years ago, I laid my bow down on the ground at the parking area when I got back to my truck at dark. I was busy putting my climber and camo away, when another hunter was exiting the parking area. Well, he JUST MISSED running over my $1000 bow, and that would have been my fault. Now, that bow is the first thing that gets put into my truck! lol

12. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I once worked with a guy that went to his hunting area a little bit too early. He got all his gear out and started getting ready, when he realized, he was way too early. He got back in his car to wait for a little bit. After a while, someone else pulled into the parking area and ran over his bow, that was laying on the ground. He called it a day and went back home with his Broken Bow.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

13. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was outside practicing before heading out once. Took my quiver off with my arrows and broadheads and set it on the ground. Shot a bunch of practice arrows, put my bow in my truck and headed out. Got to my stand and realized I left my arrows back home sitting on the ground.

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We could rename this thread "The dumb things we've done when hunting." I could fill up pages worth.

1) First hunt with with a new bow (cheap Bear Element but it was after back surgery and money was tight). I clipped my rope on and never noticed that the plastic clip was severely cracked. Swung out to lower it, yep, straight to the ground. I have no idea how that bow wasn't damaged or how it didn't fall on the way up. I no longer use clips, just a tied in loop now :) .

2) About 20 years ago I drove 1.5 hours to hunt, getting packed up to head out and thought my bow felt too light. Yep, the quiver with arrows was at home on the bench :). Turned into a scouting mission instead.

15. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Been there and done that, sucks

16. x ring300

x ring300 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats nothing get in stand and have cable break on rope on the way up to the stand . very upset.

17. x ring300

x ring300 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    also lost release going into woods . very upset . Also release and arrows behind load of firewood and came across doe that was hit by a car and had to use old arrows ,old broadheads and fingers to get her. Lucky I was a pretty good shot with fingers and wasn't a long shot . Just some of my bad times very upset.

18. Mnardo72

Mnardo72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot my quiver once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my story. Eastern NC, Mathew has come and gone leaving some high water in places and a light cool front. Church services cancelled leaving a full day open. Got up got all my gear ready and loaded eat breakfast and headed out. Now to the day killer. My step son blew his car and has been driving my hunting vehicle. Half way down the block something's not right. Right rear tire is flat. Spare is flat as well. Go back to the house and get the air tank and fill tire. Head home and pull spare and rear tire. Carry to tire store and have two new tires mounted. To late to get into the woods so I now on Bowhunting.com for hunting fix today.

20. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did the same thing yesterday morning....up early, showered, drove to my spot, got my gear ready.....climbed into my fixed stand and reached into my right-hand pants pocket for my Stan SX3.....empty pocket. So after debasing myself for about 30 seconds, I dug into my pack and got out my backup. Never needed it once last year, but even the best of us can forget something.....that is human. To have a backup....that is wisdom.