Deer urine

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by JRock15, Aug 13, 2016.

1. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I find this hard to believe. For example, just this morning, my wife made me some Death Wish coffee before I went to work. The first time I urinated at the urinal, my urine smelled like that coffee. I'm pretty sure that a deer's urine would not smell like coffee. Another example, if you have both a dog and a cat, you should be able to tell the difference in the smell of their urine. I can. They have distinctly different smells. And neither of those smell like deer urine out of the bottle or human urine. Fox urine cover scent doesn't smell like any of the previously mentioned urine. So if I can tell the difference between myself after coffee, my dog, my cat, doe urine in a bottle, and fox urine in a bottle, with all of those being mammals, how come you think a deer can't tell the difference?

2. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BearArcher, because they are never spooked by my urine in their scrapes or when I let fly out of the stand. Both my in field observations and my trailcam experiments prove it.

DrSnake, that is funny. I doubt that I have doe genes. I think that it is making the buck want to fight me being the stud interloper in his woods :D

3. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It could be the fight response of the buck, Smokey. But, just in case, be safe, walk out of the woods backwards! LOL

In all seriousness, why they ignore it will probably be a mystery. But can they tell? Yes, for sure.

4. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    But they are NOT ignoring it. They have traveled out of their way to check it out and make a scrape at times. So no, they cannot tell the difference.

Diet makes up differences in urine as well as health conditions but in the end it is the same. The buck probably just thinks the other buck is into other foods.

5. BearArcher

Dislikes Received:
    I think a more accurate statement might be that they are not spooked by it or are curious about it. And I believe they react to it. But if my nose can tell the difference, then theirs surely can too. I think the statement "they cannot tell the difference" is inaccurate. They might not be able to reason to the point of knowing exactly what left the urine but they have to know that it is different from their own.

6. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If they couldn't tell the difference, a scrape would be useless. Deer communicate thru scent. They know human from another deer. It isn't really debatable.

7. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry you guys can't see the forest for the trees. You say it is not debateable only because you won't admit some of us had positive results with this. Urine doesn't make the scrape useless, I have seen it many times over the years. They don't spook and return often to scrapes where I left my urine.

Deer communicate through scent. Interdigital, forehead glands, etc. Deer can determine the health of another by fatty deposits in urine.

Now drop a duece and then you will see the negative reaction.

8. BearArcher

Dislikes Received:
    No, it is you that can’t comprehend what we are saying. I’m not saying that you didn’t have deer visit scrapes that you urinated in or had deer activity where they checked out your urine. I am not disputing that. What I am saying is that if you blindfolded me and asked me to identify fox urine, doe urine, cat urine, and dog urine (all mammals) that I am pretty sure I could identify all of those 100% correctly. So if my nose can detect the differences between those then a deer with a sense of smell much, much greater certainly can and can probably identify other subtle differences that I can’t even detect. So your statement that all mammal urine is the same is what I am taking exception to. So where you live, the deer apparently do not react negatively to the smell of human urine. But just because they do not react negatively doesn’t mean that they don’t know the difference between human urine, deer urine, fox urine, etc. They know the difference. They just are curious and do not associate the smell with danger. That doesn’t mean that a group of deer somewhere else won’t react differently.

9. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No, it is simply not debatable that they cannot tell the difference. They can. Science and study has shown that. How many bucks have you seen accidentally trailing a cow thru the woods? Imagine a poor bucks surprise if he trailed and mounted a black bear sow because he couldn't tell the difference. Although, thinking about that, I wouldn't mind a twelve point bear on the wall.

I can tell you one thing. Wiz off your stand. Then nick a buck with an arrow. Next time he smells your wiz, you'll see a brown blur with a white flag.

10. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DR, following your logic, if I do not wiz off the stand and the buck smells doe nick a buck with an arrow the next time he smells that doe he will spook.

The difference is just another mammal.

11. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Smokey,

A buck knows very well what the doe smell is and its status as a fellow deer. Hence, if a buck loses a fight to another buck, he won't run away every time he smells one. However, you reaffirm that you are a predator, he will go from curious to afraid very quick.

No offense, but you are trying to argue an invalid point. It is well proven deer can identify these smells. This is why you are reaching so far to defend an erroneous position. But, if you think gasoline attracts big bucks, you certainly can use it, too. I'm not saying it doesn't work for you. It just doesn't work for most.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  12. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The hardest thing to open is a closed mind.

13. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is the problem you are having. Stop trying to argue the Earth is flat.

14. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my!

15. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting back to the topic of this thread, some companies like Tinks, say on their package that if you keep it stored in a cool and dry place, you can use it next season. Other companies say to either use it all up or pitch it after the season so you can spend more of your hard earned money on more of it next year.

16. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps the hormones in ur pee make the buck oblivious to the mammal that deposited it. They can tell the difference but don't care, like when the buck disregards danger during the rut in the hopes of procreation.

17. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, back on topic. I store the estrous scent in a sealed bag in my refrigerator over the year. Before using it I take it outside and open the bottle for several minutes to let it breath. It seems to work fine. Usually though, I try to use up all scent each year.

18. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Urea breaks down in to ammonia. No matter what, preservatives, refrigeration, etc., it goes on. Freezing will keep it useful until the next year.

If it is bad, you can use it, but it is now just ammonia. It will cover your scent at least. It isn't attractive, but it shouldn't spook anything.

19. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never considered freezing. Usually by the end of the season, I don't have enough left to mess around with it. I use it very generously when I'm hunting during the rut.

20. DrSnake

DrSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We never hold any back year to year, frozen or otherwise. Fresh is best.