Bittersweet

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by b_fitnik, Oct 3, 2016.

1. b_fitnik

b_fitnik Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let me start by saying I never got into archery till the end of last year. Heck I totally got away from hunting in the mid 90's due to some bad life choices and just started hunting again about 5 years ago. So last year I sold my crossbow and picked up a compound. One of the best things I have ever done in my life. I'm totally hooked. I love everything about it except for how much everything costs. So anyway, this was my first year hunting early season with my bow. Our season just came in here in Pa on the 1st. Yesterday, I passed on the same buck i shot today because he wouldn't give me a good shot. Today the opportunity presented itself again this time with a much better shooting lane. One or two small little limbs may have been in the way but if I put it in where I was aiming, I was surely good. He approached from behind my stand and was broadside. I took the shot. Little did I know that my bow hanger was too close. As I released, my limb hit my hanger and I caught one of those small limbs. I spined the poor guy. I didn't have a good follow up shot to take him out so I unhooked my harness and got down out of my stand to finish him off. I still couldn't get a good second shot until a few minutes later when he pulled himself up and exposed his vitals. Needless to say, this kill was bittersweet. Especially since it was my first deer harvested with my bow. I'm normally pumped when I harvest an animal but this time I'm angry with myself. Im struggling with this but at the same time I'm gonna use this as a learning experience. I understand things happen but I hate seeing anything suffer. I'm not gonna hang up my bow after this. If anything it will make me work harder to try eliminate any mistakes and maybe help me to work on my patience. Sorry to post my problems but needed get this off my chest. I hope you all have a great season with a little better luck than I've had so far.

Small 8

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear about your luck with the shot but that kinda thing is part of hunting, not just archery hunting. I'm glad you were able to finish him off and at least you get your buck to fill your freezer! Lesson learned, make sure that bow hanger is clear of your bow.
    Congratulations on your buck!

3. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep your head up, unfortunately it's the ugly side of this sport. The first good buck I shot I shot through the liver. I left him for 3-1/2 hours and found him in his bed still alive so weak he couldn't rise to his feet. I have a lot of fond memories of chasing him for three years, but I still regret the 3-1/2 hours of hell I unfortunately put him through. All we can do is strive to do better and these experiences are what should push you to get better. Congrats on the great buck!

4. cj22drake

cj22drake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been there done that. I spined a doe when I first started bowhunting. I promised myself then to do all I can to prevent it from ever happening again. Practice practice practice. ..but even then, things can still happen. But that's part of bowhunting. At least you were able to finish the job. Nice buck!

5. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im right there with you about not wanting to see anything suffer. As far as the mishap, you know what happened and you learned from it. I know seasoned hunters that have shot a pop up blind below the window. Sometimes you get that tunnel vision and don't see the little things that can make a big impact. Congrats on the harvest and good luck in the future.

6. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had to finish a doe off Saturday...as stated, ugly side of the sport but probably still better than what a coyote would do.....

7. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First off, welcome back to the hunting community and congrats on the successful harvest. Having things like this happen in the woods is something we all try to avoid, but at the end of the day they will happen. In fact they will probably happen in some way to you again in the future, regardless of how much you prepare. Instead of focusing on that, think of all the good you are doing for the wildlife population just by being a hunter. Not many know this, especially the anti-hunting community, but the biggest contributor of income to all wildlife conservation programs both state run and otherwise are the dollars that we hunters dump into the economy for our licenses, tags, equipment and so on. Hang your hat on the fact that even when mistakes happen, you're still there for the right reasons. Spend enough time in the woods for the right reasons and your contributions will far outweigh your mistakes. Whether it be separating locked bucks, or freeing a deer tangled in a fence, or even just deciding next time your faced with the same shot you wait a few seconds until your in better position. The fact that you've shown remorse for the situation tells us that the good you create will always prevail over the mistakes you will make.

8. b_fitnik

b_fitnik Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the kind words. I feel much better about it today. Can't wait to get back out there. Still have a doe tag to fill

9. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck! Looks similar to the one I shot last year. Keep you head up. As others have said these things happen. I would rather spine a deer than to hit a shoulder or muscle and not being able to recover the deer

10. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got my first doe with a crossbow yesterday and also the first time I have spined a deer ever, the noise from the crossbow caused her to duck and my shot was far back so I had to put another arrow in her... It is a sad experience but don't let it take away from what you have accomplished!

11. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good deer and glad to hear you recovered him. The best in the business have hiccups in the great adventure we call hunting, no one is perfect we just need to learn from our mistakes. No matter how good you are hunting can be unforgiving. Good job!

12. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel that a mans greatest wisdom was derived by a mistake. Your mind becomes battered and you over think it until it sinks in and stays forevermore. We've all made the long journey to the woods only to find we left our release at home. We've all dropped our water bottle from the stand when a deer was near. We've all stepped on our bow when checking trail cameras. We've all left our bow against the tree to check out the rub and had the buck present himself broadside 20 yards. We've all ate deer chili the night before hunting and had uncontrollable gas the next morning. We've all kept the dead hooker in our trunk too long and it began to smell. Regardless of the mistake we've all learned from it and grown into better persons. Congrats on your harvest/luck.

13. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought we weren't telling anyone about the hooker.......

14. 802veteran

802veteran Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just this weekend I did the same with my first bow harvest of a mature tom turkey. I felt the same way. But I did what I had to do and put him down as quickly as I could. Also enjoyed eating turkey that night. Keep at it. Hunting is great therapy.

15. TheMathewsGuy

TheMathewsGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Although it stinks that you spined him, it's great experience moving forward. You'll always be aware of where your hanger is from here on out. Just think of it as a learning experience.