Climbing stand or Hang-on stand w/ climbing sticks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by meatseeker, Oct 4, 2016.

1. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which do you prefer for a stand in situations where you won't leave the stand in the woods after the sit? Like not wanting your stand stolen or your spot discovered by others?

I usually go with a climber(Summit) but I end up working up such a sweat in the early season that I'm concerned about leaving my scent everywhere. I just bought climbing sticks for $40 but they weigh like 20lbs and carrying them and a hang on is a lot heavier than my climber.

2. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a lone wolf Alpha with sticks/quiver. I like that a lot more because 90% of the trees I want to get in can't be accessed with a climber. I do have a summit climber though for when I do find a tree where I can use one and know that is where I'm headed. I never walk too far with it though its one of the older vipers, kinda heavy. It is nice to get up in the am's with the climber rather than the hang on and sticks, but afternoon is always my lone wolf.

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Up until this summer I used both a Lone Wolf climber and Lone Wolf Assault and sticks. It was nice because I could pick a spot and not a tree. But after a second bicep surgery I sold the Assault while I was off work. I think I will probably add one back in the rotation next year. Once you establish a technique and minimize your trips up the tree they are not much harder than using a climber.

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    100% hang on.

I bought a climber before last year and sold it before this season. You'd have to find a straight, limbless tree that's in the area of the sign. The odds of that happening are low.

Hang ons will require a little more work and some cursing, but it will only get easier as you do it more.

Edit- THat is if you get Lone wolf, XOP or a Hawk setup.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  5. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had climbers and I prefer the hang on over any of the climbers I have used. I can get up into any tree with a hang on and once you get a routine on setting one up it's easier then a climber.

6. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a hang-on and sticks, won't ever go back.
    With a climber, I could never find a tree and when I did, I couldn't feel secure with a climber.

7. PolarBoy

PolarBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I made the mistake of investing in a loan wolf climber. If I could go back I would definitely, without question, go with a good set of climbing sticks and hang-on.

In a pinch, the climber might have its perks, but finding the perfect spot WITHOUT a workable tree to complete the ensemble may be one of the most demoralizing feelings (trust me). With the sticks, you can work your way up the gnarliest of climbs and set-up almost anywhere at will.

Watch this video. Granted this guy knows what he's doing but he completes a hang-on set in under five minutes, proving that the agility of a climber may not be all that superior:How to Hang a Tree Stand in 5 Minutes! - YouTube

Good luck.

8. Fezzik

Fezzik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first season with a hang on and sticks over my summit climbers. I have a viper sd and an open shot, I generally don't have an issue finding a climbable tree but I am hunting a new property this season and wanted to stay as mobile as possible. I went with the xop air raid and xop sticks and just grabbed a set of muddy pro sticks with a muddy hunter stand. I'll probably end up mixing and matching depending on which suits my style the best

9. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought both last this past year, both XOP...already my inclination is that the hang on and sticks will get more use. Its so easy to hang 4 sticks and then with the XOP stand quick hang bracket it takes literally like 2 minutes or less to hang the actual stand. There are plenty of climbable trees, but are they in the right spots? The hang on you can almost always get in the right spot no matter the trees. I will be keeping both for a few seasons to see though.

10. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it depends on where you live. I found that the internet generally tells you that sticks and hang on are way better. So a few years ago I bought A lone wolf with sticks. I love it but, where I live most trees are well suited for a climber. I watch a buddy of mine use his climber all the time. He gets in the tree a lot fast and with less stuff. I kinda wish I had bought a climber and If I can find a good used one I will be purchasing as soon as I can afford. So for me I want both. I have a hang on but really think I would like the climber a lot better because where I hunt there are ALWAYS straight trees without low limbs around. My advice is to take a good look at the areas you hunt and the trees. I think (and some people will dissagree) when you use a climber you carry less and get up quicker.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hang on Sticks all the way!

12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Climber for me. 16 # in and out. Where I hunt there's a lot of suitable trees and I can leave a ladder stand or 2 in areas where they're aren't any good trees

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  13. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had both Get a light high end stand with some light sticks you will not be sorry, but don't buy some **** cheap and make it work.. You only need one so get a good one. I have a L/W the only thing i don't like about is the seat, but otherwise it's great.

15. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LW stands and 4 climbing sticks

16. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^This ^^. I missed an opportunity at the biggest buck of my life. Prob a 180" Buck walked right past the tree I KNEW I had to be in but it wasn't climbable. backed off 60yds to the nearest climber tree. 30min after setting up saw that deer walk 10 yds from that tree.

17. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    AGREED.. I found a climber MUCH more labor intensive and I always felt less comfortable and or safe than when using a LW with sticks. The added versatility of the hang on for ANY tree makes it a win win.
    T

18. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a summit cobra climber and love it, but have mo doubt a hang has its advantages. I can't count the amount of times I found what looked to be great spots but couldn't find a suitable tree for my climber and wished I had a hang on. Hopefully next year I will have both.

19. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have two hang ons set up right now w climbing sticks, I set them up and remove the bottom step and hide it in the woods. I just leave them set up until end of season. I do agree that hang ons give you more options.

20. rajela

rajela Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never used a lock on but have a m25 order to see what it is all about.