Iowa

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by IAMIKE, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Smitty! how was the distance? How was the deer movement? I would think if you get in there early tomorrow you should be ok. The nose knows is what I always use for my meat gauge :) If it smells funky I pass.

2. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you found her Smitty! I went out Saturday, Sunday, and last night. Saw some does Saturday evening (ran out of shooting light) but other than that got skunked. Oh well, Friday evening is looking pretty sweet for an after-work hunt. Onward!

3. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Found her. But she was spoiled unfortunately. Coyotes got to her too. Feel pretty ****ty about it. That's the last time I let one go over night. Made a perfect 45 yard shot right through the heart. Deer movement was ok. Saw probably half a dozen deer. Buck movement has been strictly at night in this area I've been hunting though. It's still early and things change a lot once that corn is out.

4. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been hunting a lot sine sept 17 th and haven't seen a buck yet alive. Don't feel bad

5. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that smitty. Guess all we can do is learn from it. Haven't been by to see if beans and corn have been worked on over there, it would be nice if it was out before Friday afternoon:evilgrin:

6. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it's possible, find out when the field is about to be harvested. Hunting a freshly picked corn field can be better than the rut. They come out of the woodwork.

7. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is what I was hoping for Saturday, field was cut Friday afternoon, so hunter Saturday morning, not the first deer....hoping this afternoon will be better...if the field is not disced yet, I'll hunt it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with that Smitty! I have looked into who owns it but its some company that probably leases it. Its next to some public land ill be in and there is a swamp like stream that separates the PL from it. I will also check the camera when I drive over there. Friday can't get here soon enough!

9. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt I'll get out there the next couple of weekends. Going to the Cubs game tomorrow night, family stuff Saturday, pheasant hunting Sunday, and then going up to northern WI for a grouse hunt the following weekend. Might try to sneak out of work a time or two next week. We'll see. Keep the updates coming guys. Its nice to hear what's going on locally. I could care less what some guy out east is seeing.

10. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    Well tonight wasn't a complete bust, had a doe come in close to last light, hung up at about 60yds and decided to duck back into the woods, then had a spike come out and stand in front of me for the last 20 mins. He was a stupid one, I have an alarm set on my phone for 7pm to remind me to take my meds, it doesn't get silenced when my phone is on silent, so alarm goes off, spike just stands there looking at my blind chomping away....he walks of finally, barely any light left, so I pack up, walking out get about half way to the truck and can see around the corner to the other part of the field, and from where I was I could make out at least 10 deer in the field, apparently I picked the wrong corner....

That was my night last night....

Today has been a wash so far....trying to decide on the afternoon, chances of rain/storms all evening...just don't know if it's worth the 1/4 tank of gas it takes for me to make the round trip to my lease only to get blown out of the tree....

11. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wrigley is going to be absolutely hopping! Have fun and go Cubs!

I'm going to get out and hunt tomorrow after work, then probably Saturday morning too. Good luck to anyone else going out this weekend!

12. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok made it into the woods. Stealth mode:ninja:

It's windy and a lot of stuff is moved around from flooding but it looks good! Good luck to anyone out tonight.

UPDATE: Nothing... I saw nothing... checked the camera one doe every morning 830ish, until the water came up. Then a spike and a smaller fawn in the morning about 10 ish for 2 days before today.

It got cold fast tonight! hope others had some luck.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  13. Jexter

Jexter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday I went out to my dads and shot the bow a little bit. Typically I place my finger tips on the front of the grip so that way i don't torque the bow. I don't like sticking my fingers outward in front of the arrow. Anyhow, my palms were a little sweaty and I think my top index finger was sticking out a little bit, but when I released the arrow it seemed like the fletching was hitting my finger. Im thinking of adding some grip tape and hope that will help.

Im thinking that I need t adjust my sights a little to the right because the majority of my arrows are hitting to the right of center target. At about 20 yards its maybe 2 to3 inches and at 30 its about 3 to 4 inches. Not sure if I should hold off until my groupings are better.

14. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    Sight your bow then worry about grouping....

15. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    And I really don't know how your fletching would catch your finger...I shoot with a relaxed grip, and have never had any issues, as do most people I think....what style of rest are you usingZzz

16. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    May have to take it in to the shop and have them raise your nock point and re center your rest...

17. Jexter

Jexter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Doesnt sound right to me. Being former military you can't sight in a gun unless you have good groupings.

im using a QAD ultra rest

18. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Weather was awesome this weekend! Anybody take a trip to the taxidermist?

19. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    If you are consistently shooting right, having contact issues, etc....something is not right on your bow, your sights are off, and either your rest is to low or your nock point is to low or something, there is something out of whack some where. Your groupings are not gonna tighten until you have your bow tuned and set up properly... having your bow tuned and set up properly will allow you to focus on form which will in turn allow you to tighten up the groups.... it's all connected....

20. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I didn't make it to the taxidermist, but I harvested my first doe of the year! Hunt went pretty much how I envisioned and it felt great to "shake off the rust" so to speak