Bass Pro buying Cabela's for 5.5 billion

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CMTRAV, Oct 3, 2016.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

while true, in most cases its still those same manufacturers that are losing floor space that are making the cabelas branded products.
    example, Cabelas bows are made by bowtech/diamond
    cabelas (nicer) scopes are made by meopta
    i think their cheaper scopes are bushnell (might be wrong on that one)
    some of their boots are made by rocky etc

while your point is valid regarding margins etc, those same companies are still making many of the products.

2. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like being able to see stuff in person, but I think more and more things are going to online sales. Not only hunting, but a lot of retail industry. KUIU, first lite, etc. Like visiting Cabelas to see the mounts and everything else.

Only thing that would affect me is I have Cabelas card to earn points. Not sure how that is affected. I'll be spending those just in case they would decide to get rid of that. I've read before that a big part of what Bass Pro wanted was the credit card business that Cabelas has built up.....not sure they would change points system for current users. It is fall and I can always find something to buy that I don't need.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do people still buy from retail stores?

I'm joking, but not really. I can't remember the last time I bought something at either Cabelas or Bass Pro. I do a fair amount of window shopping at both, but I'm a very price conscious consumer. I also don't buy retailer branded products. I don't particularly like it when large mega corps combine as it doesn't lend itself to innovation and competitiveness, but in this case I don't know how much that's going to change the way I buy products.

4. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Cabelas credit card operation is run out of Lincoln NE, I read that Bass Pro would be leaving the Lincoln NE Cabelas operation running, to me that means they'll continue the credit cards

edit adding link

"Bass Pro Shops said it plans to maintain Cabela's operations in Sidney and Lincoln, Neb. "and hopes to continue the very favorable connections to those communities and the Cabela’s team members residing there.""

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/10/03/bass-pro-shops-cabelas-acquisition/91459212/

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMO BPS is a store for fisherman that secondarily caters to the hunting crowd. Cabelas is a store for hunters that secondarily caters to the fishing crowd but has always covered both. It's always been that way. If they were smart they wouldn't change much and continue running each outfit the same. If I'm loading up on my bass fishing stuff I'm going to BPS. If I need to look at duck/Goose decoys or pi k up some camo I'm going to Cabelas. But like Tynimiller said I'm leaning more and more to the little guy as long as the prices aren't super ridiculous. I don't mind paying 10% more to the little guy.

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been a part of lots of M&A stuff through my job in the past few years, also been close to Cabela's through the BowTech relationship for quite some time as well.

My best guess is that things will largely stay the same from consumer standpoint. Backend changes in corporate will change significantly. The will look to save $$$ on non customer facing positions that will become redundant. Credit programs, insurance providors, etc......will all be leveraged to provide better pricing based on volume. They will also squeeze suppliers a bit as well. I expect most of the supplier squeezing to occur with the those that are providing store branded white label products though. Overall I'd guess that this will be a positive thing.

Bass Pro isn't new to the M&A game, they acquired Fishing Holdings, LLC a couple years ago (Ranger, Stratos, Triton). Not much has changed there from the consumer standpoint either.

7. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't care less, they are both vastly overpriced. I'll browse the websites, mainly to read product reviews from consumers, then I buy elsewhere for a way better price.

8. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think Justin and Rick have a pretty good perspective on how these things can and probably will go. Suppliers get dinged the most with big box stores. The vendors and rep companies have to purchase space on websites, catalogs and the flyers you receive marketing the fall, spring or annual events. It sounds like Cabela's sales have been declining and investors were wanting them to make some changes. If that is the case then this could be a good thing for the hunting side of things. It will be interesting to see how the two will operate in particular the store brand product. In the past few years I've been doing more business on websites like Midway USA and Lancaster archery then I've done shopping at a big box store.

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cabelas store branded products and overall selection are IMO much better quality when compared to BSP (at least for hunting/camping; I'm not much of a fisherman.) Both stores are generally overpriced. But I'd shop at either before I'd shop Gander. Ganders prices, customer service, and selection leave a lot to be desired. Especially customer service.

10. jvella

jvella Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cabelas has terrible deals. I kind of think BPS has better product selection

11. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I couldnt disagree with this more.. lol Cabelas has a waaay better selection (at least for the stuff I want). Bass Pro has terrible prices.. I dont think I have ever ordered from them.

12. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thought this was in the works for awhile now?

I'll continue to shop for the lowest prices. Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander, or my local businesses won't be getting my money if they don't have competitive pricing.

13. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do people still buy stuff in stores?

14. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I get everything in cabelas 5% above manufacturing cost as a summit discount... So this SUCKS for me. Cabelas is 3 minutes from my house too... Just too bad.

15. jdb_77

jdb_77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have both here in Oklahoma City so waiting to see how prices are going to play out now.

16. fox hollow 2

fox hollow 2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am wondering how/if warranties will be honored. Specifically, the Cabelas brand trail cameras. Over the past couple weeks, I have been seeing many commercials advertising the Cabelas 14MP trail camera with a LIFE TIME WARRANTY! This to me at least, is the best deal for a high quality, reliable camera. I am hoping the warranties will continue to be honored.

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is terrible. Now Ill have to start wearing north korean camo laden with carcinogens. My life is ruined.

[​IMG]

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It was not 5.5 billion more like 4.5 billion.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

20. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh good.... More of that red head brand junk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk