***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats untied! Looks like I'll be missing opening weekend this year, but I'll be out in full force in 2 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats United!

No luck for me, yet. Haven't even seen a deer. But, had 2 gobblers 10 yards away. They put on a little show, it was worth my morning sit.

3. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well done united! Just set up on a new piece of public I've been neglecting to sit. Not expecting too much tonight.

4. dsauer22

dsauer22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Winding down a rainy opener here in pa. Pretty warm here to go along with the rain. Nothing to report

5. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Had three deer in the ravine, was hoping they'd go down then come up behind me. 5 minutes later a lightning strike and be clap of thunder made me lose interest. Sat and waited then it down poured. Got down and waited for everyone under a hemlock.

Walking out we kicked those three deer up, one was a nice little 8 point. Hoping to make it out again Tuesday after work.

6. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    United, we're you able to figure out the pictures?

I'm on a mission to find a new grip for my bow. Dang thing finally got lost. Now it's hard to try and shoot without it. Going to F&S later, otherwise Amazon prime, hopefully.

7. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got some bad news. Was able to shoot a nice doe last night. Shot was a bit back so I gave it some time. At 10pm I was able to find a small blood trail which I followed for some time until I finally called it a night. Went out first thing this morning and sure enough found the doe not 20 yards from where I was last night. And in my haste to get it gutted and cleaned and cooled I FORGOT TO TAKE PICTURES!!!!!. It didn't even cross my mind. I'm so sorry guys. Good news is the meat seems fine and deer ended up going about 200 yards.

8. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Still have the hide, Wisco? Are you only allowed one a season?

Nonetheless, glad you were able to save the meat.

9. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't have hide anymore. I still have another doe tag (which I don't plan on filling) and a buck tag, so hopefully I can make up for my stupid mistake with a nice buck.

10. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe wisco! If you still have the head (which i doubt if you don't have the hide) thatll be fine. Either way glad the meat wasn't ruined.

11. united12

united12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was finally able to get it figured out and posted on the scorecard tonight! Thank you for the help, PinkPony. Oddly enough, I spent more time trying to get the pictures posted than I actually did in the stand that morning. :confused: Lol.

2016 Doe 1.jpg 2016 Doe 2.jpg

I apologize for the pictures being upside down. They aren't like that on my computer, so I'm not sure how to fix it. It wasn't a perfect shot. I had to aim a bit high on the entry due to the angle, but was a little further back than I'd of liked. I got lung and liver, so she expired pretty quickly and only about 50 yards from my stand. I switched to NAP Killzone Maxx this year, and I'm sold! I got a complete pass-through and it ripped her open pretty good on both entry and exit!

She came in feeding on acorns, just as I had hoped. It's always nice when a plan comes together (especially when hunting, because plans RARELY do come together, at least for me. :p)

I was out again this morning, but didn't see anything other than a buck fawn. It's always nice adding meat to the freezer, but hoping for a nice buck now.

Congrats Wiscohunter! Too bad about the picture, but at least you put one down!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  12. united12

united12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same thing happen to me last year, Garet. Definitely a tough one to swallow. What made it worse for me is that it was the only close encounter I had with him all year. Saw him a couple more times but not in shooting range. Hoping you have better luck and get him in range again!

13. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you got the pictures to work, United - congrats again!

Bummer about the pictures, wisco - guess you wont forget next time ;)

14. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you guys know about cold fronts? My deer are strictly nocturnal here. I have pictures of my big guy at midnight several nights. It has been in the 70s here with lows around the 50s. I'm assuming that once the cold weather rolls in i'll start getting daytime action. Does anybody have any idea how cold that would have to be though?

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience any drop in temps of 10 degrees or more constitutes a front and should get deer moving. The bigger the drop, the better the movement. It looks like we have a front moving through here on Friday, which should hopefully get a few deer on their feet in the evenings. It's not as much of a temp drop as I'd like to see, but it's better than nothing.

IMO once we get that first good cold front this month - with temps into the low 40's or 30's - things are going to be good. It's been so hot these deer have to be aching for cold weather.

On a side note, I hunted twice this week and saw exactly 1 deer, 23 squirrels and 512 mosquitoes. #fail

16. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    512 seems low.....

17. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you guys heard that Cabelas is being bought by Bass Pro? What do you guys think of that? There's finally a bass pro coming near the NYC area...maybe a Cabelas will come now as well.

18. dsauer22

dsauer22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you been to the Cabelas in Hamburg Pa? Not a terribly far trip from nyc

19. dsauer22

dsauer22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Out for my second sit. Hunting at a new place for me.....a local sportsman club with a couple hundred acres at the foot of a mountain. Below the club is farmland with soybeans and corn both growing. May take a while to future it out, but looks promising.

20. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sat a new piece today which was over an hour walk in. Saw two does and a fork horn was right under me for 20 minutes. Deff gonna be back in there a few more times this year looked great.