Mid day movement in the early season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alenhard15, Oct 3, 2016.

1. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I have been getting a good amount of pictures and videos of deer moving in the middle of the day on the farm I hunt, is anyone else seeing this trend? most of the videos i get are between 10am and 4 pm, When i go out to scout or move stands mid day i often bump some deer. My buddy went out for a mid day sit today and had a doe come by but couldn't get a shot at her. Anyone know why they would be moving at this time? is it worth trying an all day sit or even just a mid day sit?

2. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have deer move on my cameras all day and all night long, that'sucks what makes it difficult sometimes on trying to pattern them.

3. Wayne/MO

Wayne/MO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been getting a few pics of a couple nice bucks moving at noon over a water hole. This was last week, hunted it yesterday but they never showed.

4. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a big buck oct 1 at about 3pm. Shot a doe yesterday at 4pm. But had smaller bucks moving at 1pm. Definitely due to cooler weather and rain here in the northeast

5. Rob Nicholson

Dislikes Received:
  6. Rob Nicholson

Dislikes Received:
  7. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think they often pattern us hunters, too. They learn the sounds of us leaving or coming into the woods and adjust accordingly.

When I used to hunt public land only, there was no set prime time. The deer were very diurnal. Weather and air pressure permitting, we were as likely to see deer and pigs from 11 to 2 as the so-called prime time.

Even on private land, one of my cousins wouldn't leave the woods until around noon for lunch. He frequently killed deer at 11 AM or so when the rest of us where already in the cabin, etc.

8. Skylar oren

Skylar oren Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a really good question, I have this problem as well. I typically get trail camera pics of deer crossing my stand after I have already got down from my morning hunt not seeing anything. It makes things difficult sometimes. But I personally wouldnt sit all day this early in the year. I would wait till things cool down and the rut is in full swing.

9. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have noticed more mid day movement on my property in Northwestern Illinois this year than in years past. I have no idea why but I have noticed it.

10. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We hunt in SC and can use weapon of choice as early as 9/1 in our game zone. My wife, who gun hunts, and I who mostly bowhunts...we hunted the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend after TS Hermine during the funky hours of 8 AM to 2 PM. Steamy hot. She had a forky trot slowly through her shooting lane at 12:20 PM in 90 degree weather. I've got noooo idea why he wasn't bedded down in the shade.

11. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to sit all day this early with the warm weather and getting in a stand at 10:00 AM just don't seem right.

12. creedchapman

creedchapman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in southern Arkansas and the deer here are moving quite a bit in the middle of the day too. It seems to be a widespread thing this year