***Size Matters - Team 3***

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Western MA Hunter, Aug 15, 2016.

1. WakeCow

WakeCow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    AndrewGiles, Wait til that undergrowth sprouts gonna be thick good bedding!!! Where's the food?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  2. WakeCow

WakeCow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

He'll be nice in a year or two.

3. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Must be nice having that much land to hunt! I have a 5 acre spot and that is it. Just a funnel between two other nice timber properties.

4. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I've been reading quite a few forums and articles and everyone says it doesn't bother them. The food is on the north edge of the property, about a 7-10 acre field. So they will come out of the remaining 120 acres to get to the food!

5. _andrewgiles_sio

Dislikes Received:
    I've been fortunate!

6. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree... would love to have that type of spot... my spots are mostly all very small parcels and generally posted all around.
    I just take what I can get.

7. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in a little different situation then the rest of you. But I think equally frustrating. So I'm in a area where no one allows hunters on there land. So I have my land, my neighbour and the neighbour behind us which is a total of about 150 acres. So I know it sounds awesome that no one hunts around me. It's actually quite tough because the land I hunt is literally the only land with any human traffic. So deer don't necessarily want to live with me in there. So my property is normally a huge doe haven. So I keep it that way. Because come late October and all of November and the my girls milkshake brings all the boys to the yard lol. Some of you may of heard that horrible song.

8. WakeCow

WakeCow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

9. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow morning have day off. Going to get out there and shoot some ducks. Our deer opens Saturday but the wind is not going to cooperate with my stands that are showing action. Sunday evening is looking perfect so I'll be out Sunday night.

10. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seen two Does this past Monday is it. I'm off all next week though.

Sent from my SM-S820L

11. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Youth hunt tomorrow... Lena is very excited. Going to take first deer that gives her an opportunity (Buck or Doe). She has an either / or sex tag.
    She will be shooting my TC Pro Hunter .50 cal.
    NY archery opens tomorrow as well. If she is successful in AM, i'll prob sit the afternoon. If not, def Sunday afternoon.

12. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you and Lena Western. Can't wait to get my kids out. Was going to sit last night, decided to make it family night instead. Checked cams to figure where to sit today and last night half hour til dark had my third biggest in front of stand. Hoping he tries for a repeat since I'm here now. Beautiful night out either way. Hopefully a few sits in the next week so hoping to get something. Been too long since last venison

13. _andrewgiles_sio

Dislikes Received:
    Well, went and sat in the rain all morning, no sightings. The rain would not let up, I made it until 9, and then I was soaked. Going back out tomorrow morning.

14. _andrewgiles_sio

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1475356177.642337.jpg
    New guy! We're calling him showstoppa, he just showed up last night! What do you guys think on score?

15. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, went out this morning and saw two yearlings and that was it. I also think I am having two more of my trail cams finally taking a poop on me after 6 years of running them year round! I think I got my moneys worth out of them so my first USA Trail Cam - Flare came in the mail today if I enjoy it I see at least two more in my future!

16. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Picked these up after hunting this morning. Going to plant some near other stands.[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

17. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I killed a doe this morning. Trying to upload my pics to contest thread.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S820L

18. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This mornings hunt was not that great! I sat all morning and nothing until I went to get down there was a doe in the standing beans. She was heading right at me and then the next thing I know she was gone. Have no clue were she went unless she bedding down in the beans. Tonight I had to go to a benefit for a girl in her lower 20's that has Lymphoma. Way to young for stuff like that! Please keep Nikki in your prayers for a full recovery from this nasty disease!

19. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe Bootlegger!
    Had a great weekend on the youth hunt.. my daughter shot her first buck! Passed on a yearling in the am and the same one came back in the pm. It was under out stand in the am bleating and even bedded down 20 yard from us before we left. We saw a coyote that spooked another deer off on the ridge in the am as well. Same little one came back in in the afternoon. She opted to let it go and an hour later another deer came down the ridge that was much bigger. She thought it was the little one coming back.. it stepped out and she gasped... "'it's a buck... oh my God..."
    It came in to about 20 yards and turned broadsided and she hammered it w/ my TC Pro Hunter .50. The deer went about 5 yards. She could not see through the smoke, so I took her down and she was looking for blood and saw the belly.
    It must have been injured in velvet as the short side does not look broken... there is also dried velvet at the base of the short side.
    I am so proud of her... she has been all smiles since..
    Lena buck 2016 6.jpg
    Lena buck 2016 3.jpg

20. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on getting us on the board with that great doe Boot! What part of TN are you hunting btw? I'm in Shelby County.
    And I'm super happy for y'all western! That's just awesome!

I've been seeing a couple of does each hunt but haven't been able to make something happen. I probably won't get to hunt til the weekend. I work for a guy mowing, chainsaw work, etc..so once the grass stops growing I'll have more time to hunt.

I'm also getting the opportunity to introduce someone to bowhunting. The people who let me hunt their land have a son who can't stop asking questions about hunting. Could have a great hunting partner for life! How awesome would that be?
    Pass it on!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016