Questions about deer activity.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by chilly, Oct 1, 2016.

1. chilly

chilly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does people cutting wood in the woods I hunt will it effect deer movement? Will deer move to a different part of the woods were there is less pressure? Need your guys input so I can move stands/ make adjustments with people cutting wood in the woods I hunt.

2. biddsthewiz

biddsthewiz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's simple we kill the wood cutter's- the Joker The Dark Knight! Jkjk
    I'd probably move stands use the cutters to you advantage the deer might be funneled in going around them!

3. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Land next to mine was logged couple years ago, the deer mostly gone during the day, but funneled back in evening for the tree tops. Didn't hunt it, but something to put in back of your head.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had deer watching me as I was felling and as well as when I was splitting firewood. Other times I have seen deer leave when the skidders moved in. In the winter, I've had deer follow me in the woods and eat from the tops as son as I dropped a tree.
    Usually I don't see much difference, except while the cutting and skidding is happening.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have helped log poplar woods in northern Wisconsin, the deer would come and eat the poplar buds on the trees you dropped 40 yards away.

6. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My experience is similar to elkguide.

Sota, do you mean "popple" (Aspen)? Poplar is Cottonwood.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have worked 17 years for the MN DNR Forestry, needless to say I know what kind of tree I am cutting down. Poplar is called many things like popple or aspen more out west.

8. cj22drake

cj22drake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The deer on our property arent phased at all by us as long as there's a tractor or chainsaw running.

9. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you farms, suburbs or big woods? Makes a big difference I think. Also are u hunting deer meat or mature bucks? I wouldn't worry if you're not hunting the big guys. And when the rut comes, the bucks cruising through won't care as long as the doe are around and the equipment and human scent are gone.

10. chilly

chilly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt a farm. There is total of 126 acers. About 70 of it is bean fields and there is 26 acres of mature woods that I normally hunt. But that is were they are cutting wood. The rest of the acres are in scrubby grass and brush. Pretty sure thats a good bedding area. I moved farther back into the woods hunting close to the property line were I know bucks cruise from.beding area to bedding area.