Bible study thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by boonerville, Jun 15, 2015.

1. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Monday September 26

*Let me hear your loyal love in the morning, For I trust in you. Make known to me the way I should walk, For to you I turn. (Psalm 143:8)

“IN THE morning cause me to hear your loving-kindness,” prayed the psalmist David to God. “Make known to me the way in which I should walk.” When you wake up and thank God for a new day of life, do you, like David, entreat God to guide you in making decisions and taking the best course of action? No doubt you do. servants of God, “whether eating or drinking or doing anything else,” strive to “do all things for God’s glory.” (1 Cor. 10:31) We realize that the way we live our daily life will either honor or dishonor God. We also remember that God’s Word states that Satan is accusing Christ’s brothers—and, in fact, all of God’s servants on earth—“day and night.” (Rev. 12:10) Therefore, we are determined to give a reply to Satan’s false accusations and to make God's heart rejoice by rendering sacred service to our heavenly Father “day and night.” (Rev. 7:15; Prov. 27:11).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Tuesday September 27

The proconsul...became a believer. (Acts 13:12).

Because the Jews were so widely dispersed throughout the Roman world, many non-Jews became familiar with the Hebrew Scriptures. They learned that there is only one true God and that those who serve him are held to high ethical and moral standards. Moreover, the Hebrew Scriptures were filled with prophecies concerning the Messiah. (Luke 24:44) Both Jews and Christians understood that the Hebrew Scriptures were the inspired Word of God, which made it possible for Paul to establish common ground with those whose hearts were inclined toward righteousness. Accordingly, the apostle customarily entered synagogues of the Jews and reasoned with them from the Scriptures. (Acts 17:1, 2) The Jews regularly met together in synagogues or at open-air meeting places. They sang songs, prayed, and discussed the Scriptures. Similar practices are followed in Christian congregations today.

3. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday September 28

Love is as strong as death is.—Song of Sol. 8:6.

This one is very difficult for me to write. But it is a scripture I personally am drawing comfort from today. Today my wife and I lost our unborn son. It was quite unexpected. My wife was 5 months pregnant and was doing fine until yesterday. We rushed to the ER but there was nothing that could be done. I cannot think of words that can describe the feeling I have right now. We are deeply saddened by the loss of our first child, but we have been overwhelmed by the tremendous amount of love and support we have received from our family and friends. We have read many scriptures and said many prayers. The positive affect that has had on us in immeasurable. We are drawing comfort from the hope that one day that all forms of suffering, pain, and death will be no more (Rev 21:3,4). The love shown by our congregation has been incredible. We have been sent flowers, our dog has been taken care of, we have been brought food and changes of clothes at the hospital. The hospital staff has been in amazement at the level of genuine love our congregation has shown, especially since neither of our physical relatives live close. It is truly a manifestation of Proverbs 18:24. There are truly friends that will stick closer than a brother. And Proverbs 17:17, where it says "A true companion is loving all the time, and is a brother that is born for when there is distress." We view life as God does-something precious. If God knows when a Sparrow falls to the ground, he surely knows when a human fetus falls (Matt 10:29-31). The thought of Christ's death is also of great comfort. God knows the pain of loss. He lost his own son. Because God is our Heavenly Father, I sometimes forget how understanding he is and how much empathy he has for his servants. This thought has brought an overwhelming sense of relief. We do not blame God for what happened, as we know that time and unforeseen circumstances befall us all (Eccl 9:11). We look forward to the time when God will eliminate all mourning, outcry, and pain, including the physical and emotional pain of miscarriage (Isaiah 65:17-23). Then all obedient humans will be able to say "Death, where is your victory? Death, where is your sting? (1 Cor 15:55, Isa 25:8).

4. chilly

chilly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So sorry to hear about your lose, God is close to the breaker heart (palms 34:18). I pray that in your brokenness that your faith and hope will remain. When something like this happens it's hard not to see the good in it, but we must be reminded that all things aren't good but all things work together for good to them that love the lord and are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28.

5. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know too well the heartache of losing a child.

6. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't let anyone make you think that you should grieve less for your child because he was unborn. On this side of eternity it does not turn out ok, but you will adjust to a new normal. One of my favorite thoughts of the Resurection day is that of angels introducing parents to their unborn children. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. It will take time, but remember that you don't have to hang on to Him, He is already holding on to you.

7. trtodd13

trtodd13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you first off for taking the time to write this. I needed this today. We just lost our baby girl sept 14th at 20 weeks. Im so sorry for your loss! Youre not alone and our God has a plan. Praying for you!!

8. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and thoughts. It is an indescribable feeling of loss that we have right now. But we feel very happy to have the support of a very strong relationship with God and our faith in his promises, and the love our friends are showing us.

9. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Thursday September 29

Jehovah supports all who are falling and raises up all who are bowed down. All eyes look hopefully to you;You give them their food in its season. You open your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing (Psalm 145:14-16).

Of course, some human rulers are sincerely concerned about the welfare of their subjects. But even the most noble among them do not know their subjects intimately. Indeed, we may ask: Is there any ruler who cares for all his subjects so much that he quickly comes to the aid of each one in times of trouble? Yes, there is. David wrote: “Jehovah is giving support to all who are falling, and is raising up all who are bowed down.” (Psalm 145:14). Many trials and calamities befall God’s loyal ones because of their own imperfection and because they live in a world that is lying in the power of Satan, “the wicked one.” (1 John 5:19;Psalm 34:19) Christians experience persecution. Some suffer from chronic illness or because of bereavement. At times, the mistakes of God’s loyal ones may cause them to ‘bow down’ in discouragement. Whatever trial befalls them, however, God is always ready to give comfort and spiritual strength to each one of them. The King Jesus Christ has the same loving interest in his loyal subjects. (Psalm 72:12-14). Out of his great loving-kindness, God provides for all the needs of his servants. This includes satisfying them with nourishing food. King David wrote: “To you [Jehovah] the eyes of all look hopefully, and you are giving them their food in its season. You are opening your hand and satisfying the desire of every living thing.” (Psalm 145:15, 16) Even in times of calamity, God can maneuver matters so that his loyal ones get “bread for the day.” (Luke 11:3; 12:29, 30). David mentioned that “every living thing” gets satisfied. That includes the animals. If it were not for earth’s abundant vegetation of the land and plants of the sea, aquatic creatures, birds, and land animals would have no oxygen to breathe or food to eat. (Psalm 104:14) However, God sees to it that all their needs are satisfied. Unlike animals, humans have a spiritual need. (Matthew 5:3) How wonderfully God satisfies the spiritual needs of his loyal ones! Before his death, Jesus promised that “the faithful and discreet slave” would provide Jesus’ followers with spiritual “food at the proper time.” (Matthew 24:45)
    My wife and I are drawing comfort from this now. The terrible emptiness created by our returning home without our son has been made easier by the tremendous amount of support by our congregation. Many words of encouragement and helpful scriptures have been shared with us, and they have helped lift our spirits. God is definitely providing for us at the right time.

10. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Amen.
    I lost my older brother in June. They called us "Irish twins" because of our Irish heritage and being born only a year apart. :)
    I asked God for strength and comfort, mostly for our mom, but He provided so much more for all of us. My heart goes out to you guys. I know He'll continue to provide the same without fail.
    God bless, and I hope you know how much some of us appreciate this thread.

11. Joey Rott

Joey Rott Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much for this. I too, and sorry to hear of your loss. I've been down that road with miscarriages and it's absolutely tough. Your words & scriptures hit home for me too. My wife of 10 years passed away from complications from pregnancy in February, 9 days after delivering triplets. I feel like i'm slowly getting back on my feet now in a lot of ways in a new normal. But I definitely have my moments where it hurts...Won't ever understand the reasons and am not trying to, but it brings some comfort to me knowing she is with the Lord. Even my oldest girls(6 & 2) who miss her, seem to have comfort in knowing where she is now and how she's watching over us. She gave me 5 awesome, little kids which makes me very blessed.

12. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Friday September 30

Moses brought Aaron and his sons near and washed them with water. (Lev. 8:6).

The washing of Aaron’s sons prefigured the cleansing of those selected to be members of the heavenly priesthood. The washing of the anointed is accomplished “by means of the word,” and this requires that they wholeheartedly apply Christ’s teachings in their lives. (Eph. 5:25-27) They are thus sanctified and cleansed. Are the “great crowd” of Jesus’ other sheep also made holy and cleansed by means of God’s Word? (Rev. 7:9) Yes, they are! When those with the earthly hope read what the Bible says about the importance and effectiveness of Jesus’ shed blood, they put faith in these words and render “sacred service day and night.” (Rev. 7:13-15) The effect of this continual cleansing is evident as they ‘maintain fine conduct.’ (1 Pet. 2:12) How pleased God must be as he observes their cleanness and unity as they loyally follow their Shepherd, Jesus!

13. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday October 1

On its own the ground bears fruit gradually. (Mark 4:28).

When an individual progresses to the point that he is motivated to serve God, he bears fruit in the sense that he dedicates his life to God and gets baptized. God is the one who makes the truth grow in the hearts of “rightly disposed” ones. (Acts 13:48; 1 Cor. 3:7) We plant and water, but we do not control the growth. We cannot force it or speed it up. Just like the man in Jesus’ illustration of the sower who sleeps, we do not know how the growth takes place. (Mark 4:27) It often goes unnoticed by us as we go about our normal, daily activities. In time, though, the Kingdom seed may bear fruit. (John 4:36-38) Dedication, however, is something that must spring from a willing heart motivated by love for God. Anything less would not be acceptable to Him. Ps. 51:12; 54:6; 110:3.

14. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Sunday October 2

The gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rom. 6:23).

As Adam’s descendants, we inherited sin and death. (Rom. 5:12) No imperfect human can give God a ransom for his life or that of others. (Ps. 49:6-9) By his death, however, Jesus paid the only acceptable ransom price—his perfect body and shed blood. By presenting to God the value of the ransom, Jesus made it possible for us to be delivered from sin and death and to receive the gift of eternal life. (1 Cor. 15:21, 22) The ransom provision proves that God loves the world of mankind. (John 3:16) Jesus’ sacrifice is evidence that he too loves us. Why, during his prehuman existence as God’s “master worker,” Jesus “was especially fond of the sons of men”! (Prov. 8:30, 31) Gratitude to God and his Son should move us to be present at the commemoration of Jesus’ death, thus obeying the command: “Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” (1Cor. 11:24).

15. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Monday October 3

Though you do not see him now, yet you exercise faith in him. (1 Pet. 1:8).

When we become disciples of Christ, we embark on a journey. That journey can lead us to life, whether in heaven or on earth. Jesus said: “The one who has endured to the end [the end of his present life or the end of this wicked system of things] will be saved.” (Matt. 24:13) Yes, if we stick to a life course of faithfulness, we can come in line for salvation. Along the way, however, we must be careful not to get distracted or lost. (1 John 2:15-17) How can we stay on course on our journey? Our Exemplar, Jesus, led the way. His journey was recorded in the Bible. By studying that record, we learn what Jesus is like. We can come to love him and exercise faith in him. (1 Pet. 1:8, 9) Recall that the apostle Peter said that Jesus left us a model for us to follow his steps closely. (1 Pet. 2:21) If we carefully follow his steps, we will reach “the goal” of our faith—salvation.

16. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Tuesday October 4

My son, if you have put up security for your neighbor,If you have given your handshake to a stranger, If you have been ensnared by your promise,Caught by the words of your mouth, Do this, my son, and free yourself,For you have fallen into the hand of your neighbor: Go and humble yourself and urgently plead with your neighbor. Do not allow your eyes to sleep,Nor your eyelids to slumber. Free yourself like a gazelle from the hunter’s hand,Like a bird from the hand of the birdcatcher. (Prov 6:1-5)

A man who designs beautiful buildings makes a name for himself as an expert architect. A young woman who excels scholastically becomes known as a brilliant student. Even a person who does nothing may make a name for himself as a sluggard. Emphasizing the value of making a favorable name, the Bible states: “A good name is more desirable than great riches, a good reputation than silver and gold.” (Proverbs 22:1, An American Translation).A good name is developed by many small acts over a period of time. All that is needed to spoil it, though, is one foolish act. A single incident of sexual misconduct, for example, can sully a fine reputation. In the 6th chapter of the Bible book of Proverbs, King Solomon of ancient Israel provides a warning against attitudes and actions that can spoil our reputation as well as damage our relationship with God. Among these are thoughtless pledges, laziness, deceit, and sexual immorality—essentially things that God hates. Giving heed to this advice will help us safeguard our relationship with God. The 6th chapter of Proverbs opens with the words: “My son, if you have gone surety for your fellowman, if you have given your handshake even to the stranger, if you have been ensnared by the sayings of your mouth, if you have been caught by the sayings of your mouth, take this action then, my son, and deliver yourself, for you have come into the palm of your fellowman: Go humble yourself and storm your fellowman with importunities.” (Proverbs 6:1-3). This proverb counsels against getting involved in the business dealings of others, especially of strangers. Yes, the Israelites were to ‘sustain their brother who had grown poor and become financially weak.’ (Leviticus 25:35-38) But some enterprising Israelites got involved in speculative business ventures and obtained financial backing by convincing others to ‘go surety’ for them, thus making them liable for the debt. Similar situations may arise today. Financial institutions, for example, may require a cosigner before approving a loan they consider risky. How unwise to make such a commitment hastily in behalf of others! Why, it may entrap us financially, even giving us a bad name with banks and other creditors! What if we find ourselves in the predicament of having taken an action that seemed wise at first but upon closer scrutiny appears foolish? The advice is to set aside pride and “storm your fellowman with importunities”—with persistent requests. We must do all we possibly can to set matters straight. One reference work points out: “Leave no stone unturned until you have agreed with your adversary and compromised the matter, so that your bond may not come against you or yours.” And this should be done without delay, for the king adds: “Do not give any sleep to your eyes, nor any slumber to your beaming eyes. Deliver yourself like a gazelle from the hand and like a bird from the hand of the birdcatcher.” (Proverbs 6:4, 5) Better it is to withdraw from an unwise commitment when possible than to be entrapped by it.

17. Hoytee-Toytee

Hoytee-Toytee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The magical thinking thread....how sad.

18. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Wednesday October 5

I tell you the truth, I do not know you. (Matt. 25:12).

During the great tribulation, faithful anointed ones cannot help any who had turned unfaithful. There will be no help available. It will simply be too late. What end, then, will such ones face? Jesus explains what happened when the foolish virgins went off on their futile errand: “The bridegroom came. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut.” When Christ comes in his glory near the end of the tribulation, he will gather his faithful anointed ones to heaven. (Matt. 24:31; 25:10; John 14:1-3; 1 Thess. 4:17) The door will, indeed, be shut to the unfaithful ones, who prove to be like the foolish virgins. They may, in effect, cry out: “Sir, Sir, open to us!” But they receive an answer like the one that so many goatlike ones receive in that hour of judgment: “I tell you the truth, I do not know you.” How sad! (Matt. 7:21-23; 25:11, 12).

19. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Thursday October 6

Why should you be afraid of a mortal man who will die and of a son of man who will wither like green grass? (Isa. 51:12).

Faith in God will help you to conquer your fears. If powerful officials try to restrict your freedom to worship God, (which does happen in many countries so it is not outside the realm of possibility that it could happen here) it may seem that your life, welfare, and future are in human hands. You might even wonder if it is wise to continue serving God and angering the authorities. Remember: The antidote to fear of man is faith in God. (Prov. 29:25) Focus your attention on your almighty Father. He sees, empathizes with, and acts in behalf of those who suffer under unjust rulers. (Ex. 3:7-10) Even if you must defend your faith before powerful officials, “do not become anxious about how or what you are to speak, for what you are to speak will be given you in that hour.” (Matt. 10:18-20) Human rulers and government officials are no match for God. By strengthening your faith now, you can come to see God as a real Person who is eager to help you.

20. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Friday October 7

Trust in [God] with all your heart, And do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, And he will make your paths straight. Do not become wise in your own eyes. Fear [God] and turn away from bad. It will be a healing to your body And refreshment for your bones. (Prov 3:5-8)

God is certainly worthy of our complete trust. As the Creator, he is “vigorous in power” and is the Source of “dynamic energy.” (Isaiah 40:26, 29) He is able to carry out all that he has purposed. Why, his very name literally means “He Causes to Become,” and it builds our confidence in his ability to fulfill what he has promised! The fact that “it is impossible for God to lie” makes him the very epitome of truth. (Hebrews 6:18) His dominant quality is love. (1 John 4:8) He is “righteous in all his ways and loyal in all his works.” (Psalm 145:17) If we cannot trust God, whom can we trust? Of course, to cultivate trust in him, we need to “taste and see that He is good” by applying what we learn from the Bible in our personal life and by reflecting upon the good that this produces. (Psalm 34:8). How may we ‘take notice of God in all our ways’? The inspired psalmist says: “I shall certainly meditate on all your activity, and with your dealings I will concern myself.” (Psalm 77:12) Since God is invisible, meditation on his great acts and on his dealings with his people is vital for cultivating intimacy with him. Prayer is also an important way of taking notice of God. King David kept calling on Him "all day long.” (Psalm 86:3) David often prayed through the night, as when he was a fugitive in the wilderness. (Psalm 63:6, 7) “Carry on prayer on every occasion in spirit,” exhorted the apostle Paul. (Ephesians 6:18) How often do we pray? Do we enjoy having personal heartfelt communication with God? When faced with trying situations, do we petition him for help? Do we prayerfully seek his guidance before making important decisions? Our sincere prayers to God endear us to him. And we have the assurance that he will listen to our prayer and ‘make our paths straight.’ How foolish it is to ‘lean upon our own understanding’ or that of prominent people in the world when we can place our complete confidence in God! “Do not become wise in your own eyes,” says Solomon. On the contrary, he admonishes: “Fear God and turn away from bad. May it become a healing to your navel and a refreshment to your bones.” (Proverbs 3:7, 8) The healthy fear of displeasing God ought to govern all our actions, thoughts, and emotions. Such reverential fear prevents us from doing what is bad and is spiritually healing and refreshing.