Mega 3 Year Old - Still Packing Velvet

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Justin, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what this deer's deal is but he hasn't stripped his velvet as of Saturday at 2 pm. I can only hope he lives another year and has a jump in size from 3 to 4 like he did from 2 to 3. I'd really like the chance to chase him around if he's 160+ next year.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  4. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! That's a nice buck! If he was still in velvet on the opener that would be hard to pass! I've always wanted a velvet buck!

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah but it's so dried up and nasty looking I don't think it would matter. If it was early September and it was nice and fluffy maybe, but not now. Plus it helps I have a full velvet 160" muley on the wall at home. :tu:

I really, really want to see what this buck will turn into next year. Speaking for myself I want to kill that 160+ incher that's eluded me so far. The only way to do that is to hunt a farm where one lives, and this deer has every chance of being that big next year. Most of the deer on this farm top out in the 140's or maybe 150 no matter how long they live. It's been a long time since we've had a youngster with this type of genetic potential.

6. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    slammer buck..

7. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely one to keep an eye on or put an arrow in its all about your goals and what you feel is best hope he sticks around so we can see him go down next season on BHOD. That's a 3 year old? WOW!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

8. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if there's something wrong with him. If so, this may be his best rack. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Blessings........Pastorjim

9. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he can be kept "safe" for one more year, I'd let him go and see what he can do.

If the neighbors are going to shoot him......... I'll shoot him first.

Nice deer.

10. Skylar oren

Skylar oren Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its very possible he could have EHD. Thats one of the key signs of a buck that has survived EHD or blue tongue. Has it been really dry there?

11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    https://www.qdma.com/bucks-dont-shed-velvet/

This is an interesting article. I've heard of this before but never knew why. Possible testicle injury or they never developed properly or maybe he's just low on test in general. It seems he's losing his velvet though just little late. All set aside that is a super nice buck and you aren't gonna put the testicles on. the wall anyway!...at least I hope you wouldn't.:lol:

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sadly enough we're dealing with EHD right now within 2-3 miles of this farm. I checked our two main ponds this weekend and no deer, but you just never know. This is in Lake County, IL and per the map the DNR just released we've had more reported cases of EHD here than any other county in the state so far. So it's a definite possibility.

I'm aware of the testicle/testosterone connection as well, although he grew and awfully impressive symmetrical rack and looks very healthy muscle-wise for that to be an issue.

Last year he was clean out of velvet by the first week in September so I have to believe something is going on. Hopefully he doesn't turn up dead in a pond. I would seriously cry if that happened.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately you can never keep them completely safe. However this is a several hundred acre farm with only 2 of us bowhunting it, and he seems to stick to the core of it.

While he may wander and get killed by the neighbors the bigger threat is cars. We're surrounded by highways and "rural" suburban roads with heavy traffic all day and night. Cars get more of our bucks than hunters ever will.

14. slowmow24

slowmow24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Justin I just finished watching your muley hunt and I thought it was epic. Great stalk and good shot. I know you guys mention that a lot in your show (with shot placement) and it has forced me to pass on deer that I normally would shoot at just because I've seen so many of your prostaff take shots and how discouraged they get and I know I would probably be the same way.

I still relatively new to bowhunting I have been doing it now for 5 years and only gotten 1 deer. People think that they can just go out there and slay monsters and its just not true. Even now with my current problem, I had tons of trail camera photos of deer but yet to have seen one from the stand. I keep thinking to myself I am doing something wrong, but then I realize that what you said in the muley episode is so true, patiences is everything. Well I have been patience and I am going to do my best to be patience it is just so hard to justify 1 deer in 5 years.

15. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Muley on the wall would definitely curb my desire! Haha

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man he is Awesome!! I can only imagine what he will look like next year.

17. blhrn4

blhrn4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Something is definitely up with that velvet. I would expect home to carry a portion of that the entire year. I've never seen a buck with velvet like that . It's like when the velvet began to shrink and crack, the deer did not clean it off. Was he active in the rut last year? If he was, then there are no concerns. He looks healthy as a horse to me. The ehd threat should be primarily over at this point I think.

18. apb5f2

apb5f2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you hope he hits 160 next year how big you think he is now? Not gonna lie I'm 98% positive I'd hammer him this year with a chance. I've got 1000 acres to hunt but pressure all around. 99% of the hunters in my area would shoot this year. Anyway good luck!!