***The F8ful 8 - Team 8***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by drath, Aug 15, 2016.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not a job change yet, although it is a 75% probability at this point.

Have to call and set my interview up tomorrow morning. Expecting a bit of a pay cut, but can't take an excessive one.

Chit or get off the pot, that's where I am. Have to do what is right for me.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, it's appreciated

2. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone's season come in yet? Ohio opens Saturday. Formulating a game plan tomorrow and Thursday. It's supposed to be pretty hot though. Still looking forward to it!

Got up in my stand tonight and practiced shooting. Probably need to do that again because I kept hitting high. I also tried filming with my newly purchased DSLR...yikes. I think I will stick with my camcorder and only use the DSLR when filming my buddies. Too much stuff to mess with while self filming.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Season doesn't come in until Oct. 1st here. With a high of 92 today, still not sinking in the season is that close.

Have an interview set up for Friday morning, then will take the weekend to think things through before making a decision.

Heard some good things from a friend who works at the new place that has me excited, just have to see the place first hand and see what my gut tells me.

Pretty stressful time, could use a little stand therapy once this heat breaks.

4. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Opened here on the 15th. Nothing to write home about yet. Have been in talks with possible private land, which would make the season 20x better. Due for another cam check soon to see how the movement has changed that that we have had some cooler weather.

In other news I've been doing some prepping for duck season. I bought a new kayak which is much smaller and lighter then my fishing kayak and it should double as a perfect lightweight boat to access some good deer areas.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Corn is starting to brown up nicely, if the rain cooperates, it might make for an early harvest and get the deer back in the woods and on alternate food sources before the rut starts.

6. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    MD season opened the 9th and I have not been out...yet! Going this Saturday but the temps are going to be kinda warm. Just heard a report that August was one of the warmest in history over the whole US. Thanks global warming. I will be hunting and pulling trail cameras. One of my stands is on the way to a big corn field. Farmers started cutting some fields but not this one. Fingers crossed I can at least see a doe and maybe get a shot.

7. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Season opened here on September 15th but I won't be able to hit the woods till October 13th for a nice long 4 day weekend. My dad is going up to the property tomorrow for final preparations and to do a little squirrel hunting. Man I can't wait!!!

-D

8. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I might go Saturday as well, depends on the hourly forecast. If it's low 60's before 9am, I'll probably go. Gonna take some days off next week too if the forecast holds. Highs only in the low 70s and lows down to low 50s / upper 40s. I just can't stand being in the early season woods with all that vegetation and humidity when it's warm.

9. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow is the day! It's gonna be 90. O well, I'll wear my camo shorts,haha. The acorns are on this year which means my one property should be better than last year. Got 4 shooters on camera there which is amazing. A couple in daylight. That was two weeks ago, I'm sure it's changed but you never know who'll stay around. Got Wrecker and Wreckers Cousin ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1474661569.988093.jpg

Got a buck named Waco that's bigger than Wrecker. (Got his picture from a neighbor so I better not post it without permission.) And supposedly the land owner I hunt on had some pictures of a buck we named Crawdaddy...but he accidentally erased the pictures before I could see them! This is him last year. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1474662121.687059.jpg

10. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    Holy **** dude!!! Nice bucks. I had two does bust me at 6:30. Literally turned my head to see where they were going to cross and they saw my movement. Sikas are so funny. I've walked to within 5 feet of them and not bust. Today they do. Mosquitoes here are as big as birds. Thermacell is not working too well. At least I'm hunting!

11. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    Doe down! Give us 50! I entered her on the scorecard. Got it all on film but the shot, stood up to shoot her and bumped the camera. Didn't see it until after I shot! O well! Had a great first day with my buddy. Blessed to be in the woods! ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1474770854.285251.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1474770879.394357.jpg

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!

Congrats on the doe!

Heat finally breaks tomorrow here, opening day is a week from today. 5 consecutive 90+ degree days.

I hope to get out in Oct. It's all dependent on my job situation, had interview yesterday and said they would be in touch in a few days.

13. SheddingLightTravis

Dislikes Received:
    In between hunts yesterday I went over to the dairy farm property I acquired a couple weeks ago to check trail cams. There's a ton of does both morning and night and had one pic of this guy. Need him in the daylight now. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1474828989.228353.jpg

14. twmessmer

twmessmer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is a monster. I can barely wait till Oct 1.

15. jimmy102

jimmy102 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the Doe!

16. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

17. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Travis.

Looks like ya'll have some nice bucks on camera. Best of Luck!

18. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go on the doe Travis!

Cam check this weekend revealed some decent activity. A lot of movement right at last light. A few 2 1/2 bucks that I would not hesitate shooting but no giants this pull.

19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure I'll make it out this coming opening weekend, but liking what I see for next weekend if the winds cooperate. Might make it out for a lengthy morning sit should temps come close.

Should be a pretty strong trough/cold front coming through over that weekend. Could see the first lows in the upper 30's/lower 40's if so.

Long ways to go yet, but gets me more into the hunting spirit than 90's and dewpoints in the upper 60's.

These are one of the weather models temperatures at 7am each morning

Sat. morning

[​IMG]

Sun. morning

[​IMG]

20. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like those temps will be hitting the east coast on Monday or Tuesday...I feel a sick day coming on.