What Defines a Trophy to a Deer Hunter?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kgtech, Sep 22, 2016.

1. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    awesome!!

2. Illinois Outdoorsman

Illinois Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why do we, as hunters even use the word trophy? Maybe I'm in the minority on this but why does everything have to be so competitive and commercialized? I'm guilty, for sure, I see big bucks on my cams and turn into an 8 year old on Halloween, but, my time in the woods means way more than a "Trophy" on my wall, and I'll probably shoot whatever comes along, minus the yearlings. Meat in the freezer, tree stand therapy. Truly, all the high fiving, fist pumping who can shoot the biggest buck stuff is for the birds. Any deer is a good deer, it's not a trophy, and I refuse to teach my kids any other way.

3. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any legal game taken in a legal manner is a trophy.

Illinois Outdoorsman likes this.
  4. happycamper

happycamper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more.

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great post. I'm the same as lots of these posts. Some of my most enjoyable moments have been in the stand without even drawing the bow. Watching nature and the beauty of it all is awesome!!

6. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the birds are the meathunters shooting anything they see. There are more young bucks killed more than trophy bucks around this country. Most folks don't realize that most trophy size bucks are 3 1/2 which is a mature deer. Most trophy hunters rather conserve the natural resources and shoot a mature buck rather than a arrogant meat hunter that shoots anything that they see to the point where theres barely a deer left

7. Illinois Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    You obviously completely missed the point. We need to do all we can to preserve the "hunt", and "Trophy" hunting, by definition is what gives hunting the bad reputation. I'm all for passing on young bucks if that's an option, who wouldn't love a 180" bruiser. I'm simply talking about perception and how we portray ourselves to the non Hunting public. If you simply hunt for a "trophy" then you've lost touch.

8. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  9. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife is from a "white collar, city family" and I was raised on a farm. I remember one of the first falls that we were married coming home after a days hunting and excitedly telling her about watching three different bucks pass by my stand. Her immediate response was, "why didn't you shoot one and be done?" And that was exactly my point, I needed the therapy of being out there and we didn't need the meat. The next year, on opening morning, I shot a nice, fat forky..... our freezer was empty.

Yes now that I am older and am not trying to feed as many mouths, I am a lot more selective of what I shoot.
    Do I have that wall hanger in the house? Maybe this will be that year.
    Yes I do agree that it's great when we all can let the young ones walk but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

My trophy's are found in the photos in my scrap books and on the walls of my office and most of them have one of my children in them with their hunting successes.

10. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where I hunt the bucks have to have at least four on one side or I would be shooting a lot more. I hate having to pass on a nice six and or even four but abide by the rules. Of the 10 of us that lease the property only three of us bow hunt. I am trying to get them to adjust the number of points for bow.

11. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The conservation matters too. Without the conservation there won't be a place to preserve hunting. I think you've lost touch with hunting youreself whining about what's wrong with trophy hunting. You only see the bad side of it not the good side. I've seen the good and the bad side of meat hunters and I'm not whining about it.

12. Illinois Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    First off I wasn't whining, i simply questioned why we need to use the term "Trophy" in our pursuit of game when current public perception of hunters already seems to be at a low, maybe im wrong. If I had been whining, I would have commented about thin skinned keyboard warriors insulting strangers online. I have no issues with hunters that pass smaller deer for larger ones, I do it myself, usually, simply USING the term "trophy" is what I was talking about. I'm all about conservation, and im an ethical hunter, go troll somewhere else.

13. Archie

Archie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This my answer to your question this happened two years ago-

Just the weekend before I was to return to work my friend called me and asked me if I would like to meet him at his brothers farm and go on a bow hunt. Of course I agreed! As we were planing and making the arrangements he told me his nephew and one of his friends would be joining us. That was fine with me, as I'm in the "more the merrier camp".
    When I arrived at camp that night I met Ryan for the first time, the nephew's friend. He was young and very big. I could also tell immediately that he was mentally challenged. As the night wore on I grew extremely fond of Ryan for he was a gentle soul. Very polite and kind in his demeanor and his ways.
    On the morning of the hunt we all split up and went our separate ways. As the morning wore on I saw two does with no shot.
    As my friend picked me up he got a text. It was from his nephew saying Ryan had taken a small buck. I couldn't of been more excited. It was as if I had shot the buck myself. When we pulled into camp my friends nephew and Ryan were cleaning the deer. The smile on his face was priceless to say the least. He offered the back straps for the evening meal.
    As the evening hunt approached I was talking with Ryan. He told me he had never taken a buck before.
    We all went our separate ways again for the evening hunt. Things were different on this hunt my friend picked me up and we rode out together. As we hit the highway he got another text from his nephew. Ryan had taken a nice six point! I was elated for him.
    When we got back to the camp my friends nephew and Ryan were cleaning the second buck. I couldn't of been more happier for him. To see such a gentle soul and kind person with such a smile on his face was something to be seen. This great big young man showing such joy was amazing to watch.
    I have been on a lot of hunts but I don't think I've ever enjoyed one as much is that one.

14. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To me, antlers on the wall is just gravy. The real trophy is in the freezer. Something that I can share with family and friends.

In some ways, I'm more proud of venison meal than I am of a wall decoration.

I do really love a good wall decoration though.

15. BikiBoki

BikiBoki Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story Archie...thanks for sharing.

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let me get this straight. If you define a trophy as meat on the table or a spike, a doe or a fawn then it's all sunshine and rainbows. you high five and sing songs together. but if I define a trophy as something else like a animal of a certain size or age then I am the ruination of hunting. What a load of bull****.

17. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, you are carrying a hell of a load on your shoulders with that personal crusade on what size deer the rest of us should take. Frankly, I just let the State Game Department folks who have all the data on the herd make those decisions. When they sell me a tag they are telling me the herd has excess animals and I should harvest one. And they also dictate what animal, doe, buck, what size, etc. My role in this process is to hunt, enjoy, and if presented an ethical shot, to bag it and bring it home. That's it. for me there is much less stress if I just let those folks who are paid to do the job and have all the data to do the job...do their job.

18. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I give two poops about "public perception". 90% of the anti-hunters are going to be anti no matter what I hunt or if I use the word "trophy". Worrying and changing to not offend ppl does more harm than good.

19. Illinois Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, but I think a big part of the conservation process is perception, and if perception is bad, that process becomes harder on a larger scale. Oh well, I'm just ready to hit the woods. Happy hunting

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  20. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think most of the people that are against what we do are either vegetarian/vegan or they live in a make believe world where meat magically appears in the store/restaurant.

I am past ready to hit the woods... Happy hunting to you as well bud.