***Whisker Biscuits & Gravy - Team 27***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by blueicefire, Aug 15, 2016.

1. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is an amazing deer

2. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a pics IMG_0023.jpg of a nice buck that we started seeing recently. I think that I had an encounter with him last year but I hope to have a more intimate encounter this year. :) IMG_0024.jpg

3. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    While I do hunt in the mountainous regions of WV and KY the mountains are not quite as steep as the pics would lead you to believe. I am just not very good at posting pics apparently. We guessed this guy at between 160 and 170 depending on mass, notwithstanding the lack of good brows.

4. Csw60970

Csw60970 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, first time out I've seen a 2 does a button and a spike. Had easy shots at three of the four. The doe and bb came in right at first light and with close to 90 degree temps coming I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger that early first time out. My scent control seems to be working, they followed the trail all the way to my stand and checked out my trail camera that I had pulled the card out of and never got antsy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Only 1 sit in so far. Just 1 deer from stand (small 1 1/2 year old). Won't get out again until probably the 9th, 15th at worst. Then I'll be hitting it hard. Good luck all and safe hunting!

6. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have any pics of what you think was that deer last year? Best of luck getting him this year. That's a great deer!!!

7. BigHackAttack

BigHackAttack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In Ohio, season opened yesterday and getting out for the first time tonight!

8. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. I can't wait to get out there. Less than a week though.

9. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I was only going to hunt the weekend since I had to work the 3rd but I got lucky and got a trade. So now I will have a a whole week to hunt. It will be warm but I'm ready to be in the tree and try and put a buck and or a doe on the ground. :tu:

10. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which county? I'll be in Knox County the end of October.

11. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have a fairly lengthy story with an awesome ending. Season in WV came in last Saturday and I have never hunted deer this early before but with daylight pics of the previously posted buck I took a chance and hunted Saturday morning. Before I even get to the stand deer start blowing and running right at me. I am like what is going on. A couple of hours after getting in my stand Mr. bear comes waddling by, I guess I know what spooked the deer. Nothing more and I couldn't hunt again until Monday evening. A cold front moved thru Monday during the day and after work I get into the stand about 5:30. Really slow with some high winds and I was thinking of getting down as dark was approaching. I happen to look to my left and my target deer, the one in the photo, is about 30 yards away. He just appeared. With barely anytime to get ready he proceeds toward a shooting lane and fortunate for me I had gotten my bow down and was ready for prime time. I don't have time to stand nor could I without spooking him. I put my bow over the side of the stand and wait for him to present a shot during the fading light. Bow pins still bright and he turns broadside barely quartering toward me. I settle the pin and release the arrow and watch the nocturnal fly straight to a what looks like a solid hit. The deer kicks and runs off with part of the arrow protruding and the light shining brightly. I instantly know that I don't have a pass through. Tracking I fear will be difficult and I was right. A downward angle shot without a pass thru historically for me has been difficult. I found pretty good blood until I found my blood covered arrow. Little to no blood after. I think gut shot after that so I backed out til this morning. Went back this morning and after about an hour I found the largest buck I have ever shot. The only downer was that the coyotes found him and all I had left was the head. He was only about 75 to 100 yards from where we quit last night but I still stand by my decision to back out. We took some pics and cut the head and packed it out. I was so relieved and happy to find him. I gross scored him and he grossed at 168 7/8 inches. I will post pics when I get the chance hopefully in the morning and get it entered into the contest.

Sorry for the long read but I am pretty happy right now.

12. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ***Whisker Biscuits & Gravy - Team 27***

That's awesome man congrats! I hope you got a couple with you and your bow! I can't wait to see pics.

13. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's incredible man!!! Congrats. We want to see pictures! Thus ought to pump everyone up to get out in the tree stand!

14. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out opening day Saturday and then get to hunt a week straight :tu: So I'm hoping for a deer of some kind on the ground.

15. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    I hope I can get these pics to load correctly. Sending these to the group before posting to the scorecard. With not a lot of deer left it was tough to get everything in photo 9-26-16 Deer 1.jpg 9-26-16 Deer 2.jpg 9-26-16 Deer 3.jpg 9-26-16 Deer 4.jpg 9-26-16 Deer 5.jpg 9-26-16 Deer 9.jpg

16. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know how to get these pics to post in the correct orientation, if anyone can provide some assistance I would be appreciative. Tech challenged.

17. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, beautiful deer. That's a shame on the coyote or maybe the bear. You have to edit before posting. Did you use a phone to take pictures? I have had the 90 degree problems when using my iPhone.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  18. Csw60970

Csw60970 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats

19. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know what the weather is going to be like for everyone else but Friday night starts the next moon phase. I've heard people who are really big about the moon phases etc... So Friday night be extra good if you believe in that sort of thing. I'll give it a try, not like I need much incentive to go out hunting but I'll take advantage of it. Good luck fellas!

20. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But I have To wait until Saturday night lol. I kinda started watching the pressure as well to see how the swing between high and low work with deer movement. So we will see how that goes. Might keep a log if I can remember