Best/worst night ever

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sburns08, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So my evening has been pretty eventful to say the least. I set up in a VERY promising location in hopes and dreams of shooting the buck a buddy has had on camera numerous times. A great buck upper 130's. So I get out nice and early and sit at about 430ish. Still hot and sweating in the stand for 3 hours is oddly enough my idea of fun. Some say I'm crazy but anytime in the stand is good time. In those 3 hours I went from "I'm sure I'm killing a deer tonight" to " nothings coming out tonight" to" there probably aren't even deer here", well right at about 740 pm what catches my eye has my heart jumping out of my chest. Here he stands in the weeds and small pine trees is the buck I came for at 50 yards. I reached to grab my bow and he freezes, I freeze, he moves, I move, he freezes agian so I stop mid bow grab and am.stuck while he stares in my direction for no joke 4 solid minutes. I'm starting to hut muscles failure trying to hold my bow up with one arm without moving! So he goes on about his business and gets to 43 yards and going in the opposite direction. I draw and release what felt like a perfect shot....smh.....I missed. I freaking missed, I couldn't believe it. I thought it was a pass through and it wasn't. He ran back to about 75 yards stared at me, I'm sure he smiled before he walked away.
    Now I sit In my stand trying to figure out what in the hell went wrong and holding my head low. My luck quickly changes and no more then 3 minutes that he walked away out walked a smaller 8 pointer. I ranged, almost the same distance he was at 40 yards.....this time I didn't miss, I adjusted the trusty HHA and let my arrow fly. Watched him jump, kick his legs and run away.
    Now after this 15 minutes of hitting rock bottom to back on top of the world I get ready to get down. I load up all my gear. I get ready to lower my bow and this is where my night went back to bad. The hook I had tied on to the rope to hold my bow came undone and my bow fell 30 feet to the ground. Now I have forgotten that I have a dead 8 point on the ground I'm concerned I just dropped my baby! My child! 30 FEET!! My poor bow!!
    I hurry to the ground and to my surprise my bow looks great. I'm still going to get it checked out to be sure. So needless to say and long story short. I missed a monster, shot a smaller buck, and dropped my bow out of the stand. To be optimistic I'm alive, and have meat in the freezer. Hope everyone has great luck in the upcoming season. It's always an adventure on every hunt.

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We might be related. Sounds about like a story I would be able to tell about myself. Congrats!

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How would you get a pass through when he's "going in the opposite direction"?

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've done all of those thigs except, I spaced them out over several hunts. No need to have all the excitement and tragedy in the same night.

Congrats on the buck!!

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well congrats on the deer you did get. Learn how to tie better knots in the future, had you been trying to hang yourself from that rope you may have been seriously injured. :lol:

6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2:

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hawk bow rope. Buy it.

8. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Walking away I should have said instead of walking in the other direction. From my left to my right

9. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So did you recover the deer you shot? Pix? Some of us are not even in the woods yet, so throw us some pre-season motivation.

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got ya. Congrats on the one you killed!

11. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't judge my shot placement lol not what I was going for

Attached Files:

12. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I 1st read your story before I knew you missed the 1st buck. I was saying to myself "NOOO!!" lol. I always try to make my 1st shot of the year at any deer an under 20 yard shot. I never want to start my season shooting my 1st shot at 40+ yards away even if it's my main hit list buck. Gratz on the buck and lucky you being able to hunt. The season don't start here in Michigan for 7 more days....

13. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations.

Don't you just love all of the twists and turns of hunting?!?!

14. 802veteran

802veteran Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. Get you some of that arrow therapy! I have another week to wait! Enjoy those backstraps.

15. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Several years ago during my recurve hunting days, I shot a doe that was about 22 yards out and she took a step just as I released. Hit her back throught the hams and man was I ever disappointed in the immediate results. Waited a while and slowly took up the trail.....and found her dead as a stump about 150 yards away. We all would love to make perfect shots every time and that is why I practice year around.....however animals don't always stand still. Precisely why I cringe when folks start talking 50-80 yard shots with archery gear. They may be highly proficient with a stationary target, but live animals have this knack for reacting to strange sounds, sights and odors. Glad you recovered him.....congrats.

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you need some more practice. A miss and then that shot...just saying :) . Congrats on the buck!

17. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good thing it wasn't too windy. I'd let him walk if he's at 40yds.

18. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I practice all the time, it was right at sun down, I rarely have opportunities at bucks period. I am not a veteran hunter so mistakes happen if u see the entrance wound on the the side it's not as bad as it looks. Everyone can say what they want but the deer is dead and only went 80 yards away. I watch professionals make bad shots all the time. I'll do better next time and slow down a little

19. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used a smiley face because it was in jest. Don't be so sensitive. We all make bad shots at times. Nobody is perfect. You learn from things things and every time it makes you a little bit better of a bowhunter. Again congrats and good to you in the future!

20. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    congrats on a fine buck.. glad the night worked out for you.