***High Five - Team 5***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by cantexian, Aug 15, 2016.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have the opportunity to set
    Up another stand for early season away from the bedding area? It would suck to ruin those stands before the rut if the does are that close now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My son is going bear hunting this weekend. This will be the last time I told him because it is time to get serious about whitetails :) He has seen 3 bear and 3 cubs so far. My daughter will be hunting the Wisconsin youth deer season in a couple of weekends. She is pretty excited about that. My buddy sent me a picture today where we will be hunting of an albino buck. Now I have to tell her that you cant shoot them in that part of Wisconsin.

3. PaTreeAssassin

PaTreeAssassin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got a corn field to hunt for a few weeks but I don't usually have a problem hunting in those spots because of how the wind blows across the hills I haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood).

4. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had to call my elk hunt early. Thursday morning it was raining where I was going, so I went deer hunting at my local WMA. I got to the mountains about 1:30 and started hiking in, only to be confronted by 50 head of cattle. I chased them about 3/4 of a mile down the canyon before I jumped off the road and started heading up to the spring I wanted t camp at. All told, I'm guessing that there were about 500 head of cattle grazing in the valley. Kind of makes you wonder why beef is so expensive when the ranchers pay $1.74 a month per head to graze on public land. At any rate, I set up and sat in a likely looking spot that evening. It didn't look too promising since there were no fresh elk tracks to be found. It rained all night into Friday morning, but I got up and headed up the hill to find a place to do so some glassing. As soon as I got in place fog settled in and nixed that idea, so I went back to the edge between the timber and the meadow. All I saw there was a coyote. I went back to camp for lunch and it cleared up... For 10 minutes. The next thing I know I heard a rush of wind and a cloud came blowing over the rim and I was socked in with fog and rain the rest of the day. I hunted to the North that afternoon, and was going to make a loop. Unfortunately, I was 2 miles from camp with 30 minutes to dark. I headed due south to get back to camp as quickly as possible. It turns out I took my flashlight out of my pocket that morning so my only light was from my gps. Long story short, about 400 yards from camp I fell about 3 ft into a creek bed where a dead fall was positioned perfectly for me to rack my back on it. Didn't sleep much that night, and Sat morning the wind was blowing 30 to 40 with low clouds. I packed it up and headed out to the car. Fortunately it mostly only hurts when I bend or twist. I didn't really keep track of how far I had hike in on Thursday, but it was close to 2 miles. I almost shot and butchered a cow just for spite. To add insult to injury I saw several elk feeding in cow pastures along the road as I was driving home. To top it off, I overheated my car and blew a head gasket 30 miles from home. I have 800 miles to go for it to hit 200000 miles. Bummed.

5. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    That is a rough hunt. I hope your back gets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope your back is OK and without any long lasting effects as well as your being able to get back in a stand for this season. Sounds like one of those this really happened to stories. Rest up, get well and more adventures to come.

7. tkaldahl2000

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I took enough asperin to hit the local WMA and had this guy come in downwind of me. He was within 40 yards. The pic was taken on my cell phone and then cropped so the quality isn't very good.
    sept_buck.jpg
    I will see a ton of these guys now that I can't shoot them.

8. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    That is how it always, the tag is already filled and then something bigger comes along. At least you got out this past weekend. Saturday was the archery opener in Arkansas. I meant to go out. But I came down with a fever Wednesday night. After a couple of days of feeling worse and not sleeping I went to the doctor Saturday morning to find out I have a sinus infection. Hopefully this medicine will have me feeling better to get out next weekend. Two does were killed by other guys on the property over the weekend. Fortunately, neither hunted near my set up so those deer have not had any pressure yet.

9. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't wait, need to get some deer meat in the frezzer. I feel a doe burger coming

10. joshcalhoun18

joshcalhoun18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Season starts Saturday here in Texas hoping to put down a doe opening weekend!

11. bootlegtater

bootlegtater Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken 2 doe this year...I'll be back in stand tomorrow evening. Strictly antlers from here on out.

12. bootlegtater

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1474996587.204658.jpg
    This guy just showed up over the past couple of weeks.

13. tkaldahl2000

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck getting on that guy Bootleg.

14. joshcalhoun18

joshcalhoun18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is anyone using minerals and if so what do you use?

15. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any more on an avatar???????

16. benkharr

benkharr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Quick recap from opening weekend in TN. Deer every sit. No morning kill opportunity on a doe. The bucks came in too late on Saturday and were no shows on Sunday. It was the hottest opening weekend I have ever experienced. I hope I never have to walk to the tree in 92 degrees again!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

17. bootlegtater

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately I won't be in stand tonight. My 1 year old is sick and we'll require my attendance at home. Hopefully be out tomorrow pending the weather plays nice.

18. Pine tops

Dislikes Received:
    Nice good luck

19. Pine tops

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with your son. hope he feels better soon.

20. bootlegtater

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks...me too. Took him to the doctor today. Some kind of viral throat infection going around. Said it may last up to 4 days. Hopefully he'll get over it quicker though.