Iowa

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by IAMIKE, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been out for a couple weeks but last time I was out I saw my first two scrapes of the year

2. PublicHunter82

PublicHunter82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I cant wait!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

3. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saw 1 fresh rub. Have 1 buck on cam with hard horns. Rest are velvet. I imagine soon it will be different

4. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I had a camera on a nice rub and crossing trail section outside a bedding area...

Thats now under water:rant: I could place a stand in a boat right now! ;)

5. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dang! I have one on some river bottom land that I am crossing my fingers isn't under water... Haven't been able to get back to it since July!

6. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    July! you have some patients Wapsi. I just put the camera back by the river after I left it there for a month while it only took 21 pics. 15 of me walking in and 6 of about 4 does walking out of there beds, then the batteries died 2 days after I set it.

Oh well, good luck remembering where its at hope its not filled with water. I get turned around with how vegetation grows sometimes if I haven't been to a spot in a while.

7. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I say it every year about how different my lease looks from the last time I hunt in the winter, to opening day in October, I always have a couple places picked out for new stands, go in towards the end of summer, and then realize how much work it's gonna be and say screw it, I'll wait till later in the season...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I have a buddy that I helped hang a stand on his private land that I am only allowed to turkey hunt at. I looked at his stand to check on it and said to myself "Huh I thought that tree was wider that that." it was no bigger than 10" diameter lol not a windy day tree.

What are the thoughts on a flooded bedding area? Do you think they would come back? how long?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  9. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say they will come back as soon as the waters subside. Deer are extremely curious animals. I'd imagine they would react to flooded area the same as they react to a freshly disc up field and come check it out.

10. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Smitty, hope you are right. I had hoped to get out this weekend but its not looking like its going to happen. I'm all ready to go though!

Anyone else planning on giving opening weekend a shot? I hope to check my trail camera at least.

11. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really want to go out this weekend but the stands I want to hunt early are for south winds. All my north wind stands i save for the rut. My check cameras mid day instead

12. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Locked—wish I could say otherwise but I'm not very patient, I just couldn't get back there to check the cam since it was all flooded!
    And yea, I'm definitely going out this weekend. Not too worried about seeing deer, just desperately need some treestand time. Only one more day, good luck to anyone else heading out!

13. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out tomorrow morning. Only chance I'll have to hunt until next Wednesday afternoon.....had a doe down within 45 mins last year on opening day, would not complain if I had that kind of success again this year...

14. Jexter

Jexter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I only have one tree stand to hunt from so not much I can do about wind direction. Wont be able to get to my tree stand til the weekend of Oct 14, 15, and 16. Looking forward to my first bow hunting season.

15. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    Don't be afraid to hunt from the ground as well, it's a lot more challenging, but you never know what can happen in the deer woods. I actually got my first bow kill from the ground on public land.

16. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Wesley! Jexter I only have one stand as well but also hunt from the ground, like Wesley said its a lot more challenging but at least you get out there.

Im going out the 7th for the afternoon. Wind should be almost perfect for me and almost perfect for whatever deer comes through the bedding area trails my stand is set over. Hope you guys have fun!

17. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty slow morning for me so far, got to my lease and seen the farmer just cut the corn field my blind is set up on, so decided to sit it instead of a stand, nothing in the field yet but a few squirrels, birds are not even hitting it really....

18. Locked

Locked Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dang, well at least ya got out. It was light rain up here this morning, not as cool as I thought it would be. Didn't get out to my trail camera yet so no updates there. Maybe someone had a good afternoon sit and they will have a great story to tell. :sad:

19. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here Locked. I have the perfect early season stand but it needs a southern wind. In order to hunt a north wind I'd have to hunt my better stands which I'm not willing march into this early. I think I'll wait until monday and take iff early to hunt the SE wind. Plenty of season left. Might as well be patient.

20. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I ended up going out tonight anyways. Wind was so minimal that it had little effect. Hit a doe right at dusk and I forgot my flashlight. Going to go get her tomorrow morning. Appeared to a good shot. I hope its cool enough to preserve the meat tonight.