Waxing your string

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jrob140, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well this is still my first bow. I just replaced the string and going into my third year or bowhunting so when I first got my bow I practiced 5x a week to try and get as good as I could as fast as I could because my biggest fear is to shoot an animal and it run off and suffer. Now that I'm more experienced I shoot 2-3x a week and once I get healthy again (I've been sick for 2 weeks) and I can get back in the woods I normally just sling 1 or 2 arrows before I go out to make sure I'm shooting right. I actually read your quote wrong at first and didn't notice until after I had responded sorry about that Sota.

2. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really appreciate all the help, I've had tons of people say very good things about that scorpion venom so I believe I'm going to get some of that and then like you guys said once a month or two make sure I wax it really good.

3. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wax my strings probably every week during the season. Just generic bow wax is my go-to mostly because I don't know any different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I built my own endless and Flemish twist strings for many year when I was shooting trad gear with the basic premise that string wax was cheap insurance for continued use and top service. After shooting a string for a while, I would build another and keep the older, shot-in one for a backup. Bohning Seal-Tite is what I have used for many years....green tube. I have no idea how long ago this one was purchased, but it has outlived the ownership of many compounds.

5. Bradleyprejean87

Bradleyprejean87 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the string starts fraying its to late for wax.. the fraying happens because the string material is deteriorating and all the wax is doing when applied after the fraying starts is cosmetic... if keep good amount of wax on your string it will prolong the life of the material and stop the fraying before it happens..

6. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

NO reason at all to wax the string every time the bow is shot. I shoot nearly every day (about 20-30 arrows) and wax about every 2 weeks or so. I run winners choice strings, replace every 2 years, and have never had a frayed string

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Over waxing can be as bad as not waxing as wax build up isn't a good thing. I also avoid using any type of heat, string material and heat aren't really compatible. I rub it on with the wax stick then usually run my pinched fingers up and down. That's it. Maybe every few weeks and definitely after being out in the rain.

8. Bradleyprejean87

Bradleyprejean87 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can understand that if you shoot every day I might shoot my bow once a month sometimes once every couple if im lucky and felt like shooting that much... so I guess your technically I'm waxing my string about the same amount as you guys are... but still once the string starts fraying isn't the time to wax you wax to stop the fraying from happening and as far as heat I wasn't saying cook the string with a blow dryer lol but a little friction to melt the wax in doesn't hurt the string at all only helps get wax better between the fibers

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's different levels of fraying. A person should be able to tell when it needs wax, that's when you apply.

Keeping a good amount on there isn't necessary.

10. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As a Professional string builder here are some good guide lines.
    String material is a synthetic material or plastic.
    String material comes coated with wax (so each strand is coated)
    Servings are not coated in wax

Serving should not be waxed. Why because wax is sticky and will attract dirt into the cams, etc, etc
    Heat is not good for a string Sun, hair dryer, Heat gun etc etc. Why because it distorts the string material and damages it.
    Over waxing is not good it attracts dirt and builds up and stiffens the string material.

General rule of thumb for waxing your string, wax it when the material starts to fuzz. Simple its what the pros do! No need to go over board. When you have shot enough and the string shows fuzzing wax it.