What to do when semi-busted by a group of bachelor bucks?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by meatseeker, Sep 22, 2016.

1. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday afternoon I had my most exciting day in a tree stand. I was hunting on a farm in a pinch point of woods between a cornfield and grass, alfalfa and pumpkin fields. Maybe with 1.5 hours left, bucks started pouring out, one after another from the thin line of woods into the field and past my stand which is on the way to the pumpkins. Of course, this was all happening behind and beside me as the stand faces the corn. Anyway, I turned around and started to get in position for a shot and got busted :) There were multiple bucks looking straight up at me, and I could kinda hide behind the tree, but they knew something was up. One of them blew at me and they ran off, but not full-tilt like when they are really scared. More like they ran off 30 yards and what do you know, they gradually start making their way back to almost past my stand.

They were definitely cautious as they knew something wasn't right, but they also were very curious as to what I was. This happened like 3x, where they's get close, see me or movement and run off then come back. I was still, but ever so slowly trying to get into a position to take a shot when their heads were down etc. Anyway, this went on for about 1-1.5 hours and they then stayed out in the field maybe 60-70 yards away. The only moved out after they heard me getting out of the stand and walking towards them in the field. I had to b/c it's on my way out toward my vehicle.

This is on a farm with a good amount of human activity with weekend pumpkin picking etc, and some other hunters. So they are used to being somewhat close w/ humans.

1. So, is the stand blown?
    2. Should I set up in a new stand 40-50 yards away on the pinch point, closer to where they came out of the woods? (This area had a bunch of scrapes snd rubs that they worked as I watched them)
    3. How much time should I give the area to rest before going in again?

Thanks for the input.

[​IMG]

2. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The stand isn't blown but I would leave it for a few weeks and next time if they are in the field either wait till they leave or take a long way out around the field not to spook them now they know hey there was a human somewhere in that direction so they will avoid it for a bit but the rubs will bring them back there

3. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't move your stand that far, but make sure you have proper cover and height. If you don't, look for another tree in the area to set up in.

My experience with PA deer is that they're wound up tight. Your set up has to be perfect or they'll pick you out easily.

4. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would move the stand and hunt immediately. You would be foolish to leave a hot spot sit for a few weeks. It might be cold by then.

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would move, even if its 10 yards. I have had times where I would move over 10 yards and the deer would come in looking the tree I was in previously. Well, that's how you trick him and get a shot.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Move. When they come by the "old" stand and look at it, shoot them.

7. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    you must be in unit 2B,5C, or 5D since the rest of the state doesn't start til oct 1st. stand should be good after a few days. there will be a lot of competition among those bucks to own that field.

8. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I'm in Southeastern PA. Your take on the situation is encouraging, hopefully I get another crack at him.