***Buck Lives Matter - Team 22***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Ruttin1, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Update Time:

Tomorrow is opening day for us Wisco people! I won't be hunting this weekend I'm sure but will be doing a few things. The weather is supposed to be pretty warm and also in Tomahawk we have the Fall ride which is a motorcycle rally. Historically this isn't a great weekend to hunt where our cabin is. So with that said I will be doing a few things. My plan is to wash all my camo and head to the cabin to get ready. I will be stocking up on snacks, soda, beer, etc. I will also be checking the camera and putting out a little corn. By next weekend I should be ready to get a sit in. Good luck to all you hunting this weekend, be safe and shoot straight! :tu:

2. treyman654

treyman654 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I can provide an update to from ND :P

This past week we had a fantastic cold front come through a -30 degree difference or so, bags were packed and ready to go when I received a call the afternoon before the hunt saying I needed to come in to work for 12 hours shifts...Bummer :( Shifts are over now but this weekend is forecasted to be warm, very warm. Needless to say I will not be sitting this weekend. The outlook for the following weekend is proposed to be good with highs in the 50's-60's and lows in the 40's. I plan to be out then and get after a ND public land bruiser.

October is approaching fast. The leaves are already changing and falling here in North Dakota (I swear its like fall happens overnight) The hunting should only get better as the days pass.

Good Luck to all.

3. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man it feels good to be back sitting in a tree! Already had quite a few "record book" squirrels fool me so I guess I don't have my hunting senses back quite yet. I'm sitting in an oak flat where the acorns were dropping like crazy a couple weeks ago, hopefully the deer will come check it out tonight. Also have a little pothole about 50 yards due W of me so they might stop by for that too.

4. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone seeing anything good from the stand? Our opener was yesterday but I have to work all weekend. I usually don't get to hunt the opener anyway. Will be out soon tho

5. P&YChaser

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this weekend for the opener in Wisconsin and didn't see or hear anything, but we checked the cams, and still have a lot of deer moving around just not this weekend I guess. Probably didn't help that our neighbors 2 over to the W are a campground that had their annual grass drags this weekend, so it was fairly loud pretty much all day until we left after dark. Oh well, rather have it on opening weekend than during the rut.

6. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just checked my cams with two of my sons on sunday while it was drizzling. Thought that would help reduce the scent. Well once we were out a decent piece into the woods the skies opened up. (You cant move very fast with a 3 yo either.) When the rain finally slowed down, I pulled my phone out to make sure it wasn't ruined. Luckily it wasn't and all was good. That was until I got back to the house and found out that my cards used to be in the pocket where I keep my phone. Yeah, I dropped them in the woods. I went back to look for them without the kids but had no luck.

Really wanted to make sure my shooter was still coming in around dark. Next time I see him will have to be from the stand. Our opener is this coming weekend.

7. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday was crazy. I had asked a guy at church about hunting back in May. He never really said anything so I pretty much forgot about it. Yesterday he texts me and asks if I am still interested in hunting at his place. So I got permission on another 140 acres. Its close to work too which is awesome. But being so close to the season I didn't want to scout heavily and mess it up. I scouted on Google Earth and found a small 2 acre corn field on the back side of a hill completely surrounded by cedars. I carried a stand, sticks, and a pole saw with me and went straight to the downhill corner of the field where a big draw leads up into the field. I spotted a big cedar that looked prime for a stand. I walked over and there was a big shed laying literally at the base of the tree!
    [​IMG]
    Probably a 3 yr old 140" deer. Shed had been there a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    So I got the stand up and put a camera pointing down the trail coming out of the draw. I'm pretty fired up about the spot. The topography is perfect for funneling deer movement and the tree has a ton of cover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a hay bale blind Im going to put up in the field after corn is cut for late season

10. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Booner, congrats on the new property! Thanks for sharing, I think that is awesome! Can't wait to see what you get on camera! :tu:

11. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a few minutes so I thought I would contribute here.Seems we have guys who rather be out hunting when they're not working instead of posting on this forum like some teams by the post counts they have.
    I still can't hunt here for a few weeks but it looks like a promising season according to my last camera pull I made this past weekend. Bucks were shedding velvet also starting around Sept. 11th. Here is just a few pictures to catch everyone's attention.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  12. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! I checked my public land cams yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. P&YChaser

Dislikes Received:
    WOW!! Booner and flopdrop those are some great looking buck. Love the character on some of those buck Booner, here's hoping you get a chance at one of those this year.

14. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I haven't been around for a few days. My wife and I lost our unborn son yesterday. It has been a rough couple if days, but we are back home now.

15. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that brother. Prayers sent your way for your family.

16. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So sorry. Hope things get better for you and your family. Hope your wife is ok.

17. P&YChaser

Dislikes Received:
    So sorry to hear that. Prayers sent for you and your family.

18. Ruttin1

Ruttin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very sorry to hear that boonerville. Prayers and best wishes to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely sending up prayers for you, your wife, and your family. I pray for healing, understanding and love for your family..

20. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dude that sucks man. I'll send up some prayers for your family.