***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well I could have released a few arrows this weekend in WI but elected not to. Morning hunts were dead but we saw 20 or so deer on their feet Saturday night. Unfortunately the only ones close enough to shoot were fawns and young bucks. The closest a mature doe got to me was 56 yards and I wasn't going to take that shot. 45 is about my limit when shooting out into an open field at a feeding whitetail.

Last night I filmed my buddy Tommy out of that same stand and he smoked a big nanny doe at 20 yards on film. We had a blast and really enjoyed our weekend in spite of the hot temps and darn mosquitoes.

I doubt I'll get out this weekend however I'm going to try on Saturday evening depending on weather and wind. I have access to a small piece of private land that adjoins some public ground just over the border. I've never set foot on the place before so it would be a blind run & gun setup. You never know I guess!

Congrats to those who have been successful so far. I tell ya what, no matter how many times you do it there's something about sitting in a treestand watching deer that never gets old. :tu:

2. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, I can honestly say I've never seen that many deer in ONE sitting let alone one whole season! Wow, I could never imagine!

3. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went scouting friday night. 6 doe and 2 bucks all along the road in a half hour. I'm sure there was a lot more that i didn't see.

4. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Driving around I'll see them everywhere. But, not in the actual woods. I did see quite a few in my sit in Illinois! Had like 9 doe all come out at once, that was pretty fun.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Trust me, it's been a LONG time since I've seen that many deer in a single sit. I may go all season on some of the farms I hunt here in Northern IL and not see 20 deer total. So I certainly enjoyed it while it lasted!

6. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a rough weekend hunting with the brother. That'll happen on public land. Only deer we could have shot this weekend were fawns or little bucks no big does. Last night we had two does crossing a field towards us when lightning hit not to far away and they hurried off into the woods and we decided to get down and thank goodness because the second we hit the truck it started pouring on us. Have to work the next two nights then back at it Thursday and Friday but this time Ill be back on my stomping grounds.

Congrats headstrong on the doe! Well Done!

7. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    CJ, glad you were able to get out with your brother though. Memories to build with.

Good luck the next time you get out!

8. united12

united12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Headstrong!

9. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    United12 what's your season looking like this year so far?

10. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Season opens next weekend here - Ive been slowly shooting again. I'd like to know what I did to my shoulder. I may even go turn my bow back down whenever I can make it there. Frustrating. Thankfully I am good for about the first five arrows - so that shouldnt affect my hunting. But when I can shoot 20-30 arrows a day - then not able to do more than five, it stinks!

11. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All ya need is one!

12. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cloudy and breezy day. Gonna go into a good spot tonight I scouted this summer. Got a good feeling About tonight, taking the kayak down the river into the backside of public closest parking spot is over 2miles away.

13. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good spot if you need a Kayak to get there! Will be a long drag when you get a big deer though! Good luck!

14. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The tree I plan on sitting is right on the bank of the river I'll take the kayak right to the tree. No entry scent and quiet. If I do shoot one there if I can strap it to the kayak it'll be an easy out.

15. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully it's too big to strap to your kayak ;)

16. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning! Season opener for me is Saturday! Need to get my clothes washed and hung. Hoping to get a shot at a doe. Had one standing right at my tree when my husband walked in around 4p to throw another ratchet strap on my ladder. I think this is going to be a spot where I'll need to spend a bunch of time at. But, this is going to be my weekday spot.

Got permission to hunt about 100 acres with a friend of ours. Him and his girlfriend have had cameras out all summer - and there are definitely some nice bucks in there! Unfortunately, it's too far for me to drive right after work. But, it'll be nice to have another spot for Saturdays!

17. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pano.jpg My season opens on Saturday as well. Just hung stands this last weekend. This is the view from one of them.

18. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All the rain in WI has definitely slowed movement by me. The marsh that the deer normally bed in is full of water. Might be a challenging year. Hoping to get out this week one night. Spent the weekend musky fishing instead with all the wet!

19. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Garet, that is my kind of spot - I love being in openings. I got some nice open spots this year - but I'm also about 10' from a ravine. So my luck is the dang thing (if I get one) will run that way and go down it...that wont be fun.

Aaron - wet weather is never an archer's favorite. I wont hunt in the rain in fear of losing my kill (if one were to happen). We're having warm weather issues here. We had such a hot summer that deer hardly moved until night. Hoping the cool off (supposed to be high 60's low 70's this week) will help some.

20. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    ...they're calling for rain pretty much this whole week now.

Showers Saturday, which is season opener. If that's the case I wont be heading out. I just don't like the thought of not being able to find a blood trail due to rain. But, next week looks pleasant - so I may just go evenings then.