Can anyone tell me anything about the rage three blade chisel tips?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Skylar oren, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Bradleyprejean87

Bradleyprejean87 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm far from a democrat... and a friendly debate isn't a bad thing... How about I put it this way if for every 10 kills a rage makes they have 4 that doesn't get found or runs off hurt and for ever 10 kills an over the top broadhead makes only 1 isn't recovered would you still choose a rage head? I mean like I said yes they do kill and have killed but the % of a failure is WAY higher with the rage head than just simply choosing a different design and not have that high % of failure?

2. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh.. Then my last dozen (or so) deer must have been an anomaly. Got it, brother! Thanks for educating me with true, scientific data. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    Well I hope for your sake bud that you NEVER have the famous RAGE failure and you get to recover all your trophies! I really hate seeing that happen to anyone which is why i'm so passionate about getting people away from the over the top heads but you can't change everyones opinion... that is until the bad stuff happens to them........... Good luck on your season!!!!!

4. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry about me, brother. I've only had two deer die out of eye sight in the last five years (but those two piled up within 60 yards/I hunt the thick stuff). Good luck to you, as well!!

5. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just my personal opinion, I see a lot of people shooting mechanicals due the fact that they are accurate. That's they main reason when I started bow hunting I used a Rage Hypo, did I kill deer? Yes I did. But the only reason I shoot them was because a fixed wouldn't fly right. Now I know the reason why the fixed wouldn't fly right, my bow wasn't tuned correctly. Now that I know how to tune my bow, I can shoot any head I want & it hit with my field point. I'd say tune your bow & shoot fixed blades & never look back. I believe we owe it to the animals hunt to spend the time to make sure our equipment is at its best when we send an arrow down on them.

6. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    I can agree with what your saying here but I still can't find a fixed blade that will give me the 2 and 2 1/2 inch 3 blade holes I like putting in those animals... that's the only reason I still shoot mech... because of the blade length it gives me

7. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also agree with you. The second season I hunted I switch to the Rage Xtreme 2.3" cut. Great results. But I still couldn't shoot a fixed blade for nothing & was going to just resigns my bow the shoot fixed but I thought about the cutting size of a fixed blade. No where near the 2+" cut of a mechanical. So once I got my bow tuned correctly switch to a 1" cut fixed blade, I hunt as high as I can, 20-30' up. Does make my target smaller, yeah but my exit hole is more toward the bottom of the animal. Blood runs out sooner that way. If your fixed on shooting mechanicals try the Rage Xtrme. When I was shooting them I shot 63#, 30" dl, 374gr GT Velocity arrows, out of my Chill R. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1474179442.456954.jpg

8. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never used the 3 blade but always shot the 2 blade. I had plenty of kills with them. As with any head i had issues with them breaking after a pass through but killed the animal. My father has had a couple 2 blade that he killed multiple deer before retiring the head if its any indication of what they can do. If they are flying good out of your bow stay with them. Just hit them in the sweet spot and they wont go far!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is just made up stuff pulled out of your backside.

10. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never shot rage but you hear so much about failures or bad penetration has to be some truth. Same as fixed heads not having the blood trail the big mechs have. Shot 3 deer with G5 montecs with passthroughs on every one.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You are listening to people that blame the head for their failures either not the right bow or right arrow.

12. Skylar oren

Skylar oren Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im shooting the carbon air from PSE. 68lb pull. 350 grain Maxima arrows. Its shooting threw the halo at 272

13. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    Can you tell me that a PSE OMEN with 80 lbs limbs shooting a 465 grain arrow @ 326 FPS isn't enough bow for a clean pass through at 30 yrds???? MAN THATS OVER 100 lbs of KE its right at 109 to be exact... so me not getting a pass through no matter where I shot the deer was the bows or my fault? that it couldn't possibly be the head design?

14. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    Do you want the facts? I have them all wrote down in a note book of every deer I ever tracked with my dog.. from where it was to what weapon was used and how far the animal went from the point of impact...

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The fact is that rage and similar designed heads with bad blade angles don't penetrate for crap. And the reason you need heavy arrows and high draw weight is to make up for the short comings of the poor broadhead design. And you can take that to the bank.

16. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    Now there is a man that KNOWS what he is talking about! GREAT WAY TO PUT IT TRIAL153!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

17. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    LOL! You guys are absolutely killin me with this stuff!!
    So look (my final post on this thread), the last few years I've been shooting CX Maxima Blue Streaks (7.4 GPI) cut to 28" and tipped with 3 blade Rage heads (100G) from a Diamond Marquis set at 60lbs w/ a 28.5" DL.... and I got about a half dozen deer ghosts that beg to differ with the results of your "scientific research" on pass-through shots.
    But hey, what do they know.... they're dead, after all! ;)
    [​IMG]

18. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    I have never once argued with you on the fact that they do kill deer... My only point i'm trying to make is that they WILL fail on you if you keep using them and chancing it like your doing... I know how your thinking I've seen dozens of guys like you come into the shop with all the confidence in the world in their rage heads because they kill 20+ deer with them and god they love them so much until that day comes they lose a buck of a lifetime because the arrow couldn't get into the vitals of a BIG buck with big shoulders and then they come crying to me and then ONLY THEN do they want to know what OTHER head I recommend so that doesn't happen to them again... So your right your mind will never be change because you have EXPERIENCE with the RAGE when they do work... I was just trying to help you NOT ever get into that I lost a big buck moment before it happen... can I ask you just once more question before you go? Can you tell me why wouldn't you give a head like a Grim Reaper a chance? I mean if you can get JUST as good blood trails and sometimes even better ones what would be the down side to trying out the new head that doesn't have as many horror stories behind them?

19. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard a lot about them and I'm sure it's a quality head, but like I've said: I've been using Rage for the last 5-6 years.. and brother, I've killed a lot of deer with them. Also, I've had more pass-throughs, than not. This is not opinion or second-hand knowledge. These are facts. I've never once experienced a single failure of any kind with Rage heads. Period.
    It should be noted that I once tried a NAP Bloodrunner (1st gen.), and I did in fact lose a 140-ish inch buck, due to lack of penetration. So please understand that I do know where your concerns are coming from.
    I don't work at a pro shop, so I don't have the benefit of "trying out" all of the new, innovative products that hit the market. But I am a state trooper, and from my work experience, I can tell you this: when you find equipment that is of the highest quality, meets your needs and performs with flawless reliability, you stick with it. So, why don't I try Grim Reapers? In short, I don't fix what isn't broken. I also feel that I shoot the best broad heads on the market.
    In my opinion, the argument and hatred against Rage is comparable to many other sporting "arguments"; it's based purely on feelings, rather than fact... For example, I was born, raised, and live in Columbus, OH. Therefore, I live & love Buckeye football, all year long. It's practically religion here.... But we are hated by many (especially in SEC country). And why?... Because we win. In fact, we win A LOT. If we were a mediocre program, nobody would care. But we're not... we're quite dominant. And if you're not "with us", you're almost surely sick of hearing about us... how great we are. Get where I'm going with this? It's the exact same with archery brands, car brands, beer brands, any brands....
    And now that my point is hopefully clarified: To deny a less experienced hunter what could be one of the better (or best) decisions of his bowhunting career, based purely on negative emotion, is simply dumbfounding to me. He made this post to seek knowledge from those who know a little more on the subject. I'm trying like heck to help him out.

20. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    We all are trying to help him out bud... I can see your point on the football *being an SEC fan myself* lol Like I said I know they worked for you in the past and I hope they continue to for your sake but would you ever come back and let us know if they fail on you in the future? just asking lol