"Urban" deer hunting questions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NebMo Hunter, Sep 16, 2016.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This might not be "Urban" but my in laws recently moved to a small town just out of Omaha.
    They are in one of those neighborhoods where everyone has 2-10 acres of nothing of timber.
    The property is thick with oaks, and I mean THICK

we did put up a trail camera and have some does walking around, knowing how much cover there is, how much food there is and how little pressure they get I am guessing there are some mature bucks walking around.

now here comes the questions
    If hunting 3.5 acres where there are houses near and a moderate shot you know the deer would get off your property.
    do you just go talk to all neighbors before?
    hope anything you shoot falls on your property and not make neighbors aware, then knock on a door if you have to?

anyone do this before?
    also, does it take some of the sport out of it if your "stand" is a deck off the beck of the house?

20160911_190837.jpg

2. BlackHammer

BlackHammer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a stand on a piece about that size and have been fortunate that the 7 harvested have never made it to others property. I personally grew up in a jealous hunter community so I didn't speak to neighbors but it would be a great benefit if you could just to gain that peace of mind.

3. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My best stand is in 3 acres, fields all around but there are 3 neighbors. If one leaves the woods just wait till dark. No one knows then and no harm no foul !

4. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt a small farm - neighbors all around.
    1. I try and make sure every shot is as perfect as I can make it so they don't run far. (so far - none have crossed the property line.
    2. Talk to the neighbors...even if they hate you for what you do - at least you gave them fair warning.

Good luck and aim small.

5. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt real small property behind a business (who gave me permission) but the property borders houses (who historically dont enjoy me hunting there). Thankfully I see most of the deer on the edge far away from the homes so dont have too much to do close to that border but I do everything I can to make a good shot. If I were to trail a deer to go over I would ask for permission to go recover it after the fact of the shot, I will not ask permission before hand.
    Reason being-though I would be only asking for permission to recover they may view their denial of permission as a chance to dissuade me from hunting this spot. After the fact however, few people would want a dead deer on their property regardless of how they feel about me hunting the spot.

That being said, just make sure its all legal

6. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kfili - Good point. I did not consider that perspective. I will add that to my list of things I have learned here. Thanks.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a situation where deer could and have gone off the property after being shot I have a neighbor who I welcome to my place and they are good people but if the buck runs on their property and dies I love them enough to protect them from the truth and covertly remove the deer. I did drag a buck thru the yard with permission in the gated community behind me with no issues but I knocked and asked first after I found the buck dead.

8. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The last thing you want is a deer to die under some kids swingset. Be extra careful in shots you take & use common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could have seen this haha.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The lady was actually relieved when I knocked on her door, she saw my flashlight in the adjacent woods and thought it was somebody going to break in, and I was not even on her property. I would not hesitate to have my wife put on some camo and knock on the door instead of having a evil threatening man like me knock on the door.

11. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Were we do bowhunting on the east end of long island is nothing but small wooded pockets, houses, wooded pockets, etc. That my friends is true urban bowhunting. Ive been on stands watching mom and dad playing with their kids!! But this is all we have, and I thank God for it!!

12. ABN Panzer

ABN Panzer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to consider, and I am sure you already may have, is local Law Enforcement's assistance if it moves into an area you don't have access to.
    I've hunted within city limits in a number of places that allow for a Urban hunt. One of the many things they seemed to have in common was a 'notify local police/sheriff' if the animal moves to an area you were not 'assigned' or had received permission to be on. I've never had to do this... but wanted to offer up something that may work in your area. I know some may think it a waste of LEO's time but they explained it as better the notification before... as opposed to the call during/after a conflict has started.