***High Five - Team 5***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by cantexian, Aug 15, 2016.

1. bootlegtater

bootlegtater Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    lol nope...was an ok sit though. Sitting on public land and seen 6 doe. One at 45 yards for about the last 20 minutes of shooting light. Just wasn't looking for doe though.

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Much appreciated. I should probably start narrowing down some spots. So many places I want to hunt and not enough time.

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At least you had a tag that would cover the deer so you didn't accidentally poach it. It can be tough to tell the white-tail and mule deer does a part. I did it once. Fortunately for me, my dad had a tag or I would have accidentally poached it. It is a solid contribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Finished my broadhead tuning this afternoon. I am shooting new arrows this year, Easton Axis 340s. Slick Tricks have been my go to head the last few years and are dead on on with my new arrows. I have one Rage and a couple of old Smoke Broadheads that are hitting perfect as well. I keep them for varmints, turkeys, and fur bearers that may wander by. I have had a pack of Muzzy MX-3s that I could not get to tune with my old arrows or the new Axis. Muzzy's always it about six inches right and about four
    Low. All the others hit so well I do not want to mess with moving my set up this close to the opener. Looks like the Muzzys will be back at home again this year. It is a shame. They really tear up my Block target like they would do serious damage to a deer.

5. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is true, but I still feel like an idiot for losing my head like that. At 18 yards I should be able to figure it out. A whit tail doe was standing there 2 minutes earlier, which is what lead to my lack of attention.

At any rate here is my pics that I'll be putting in the scorecard.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. Got meat and 50 points. Not the worst mistake.

7. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe. That isn't the worst mistake any of us have made hunting I am sure.

8. joshcalhoun18

joshcalhoun18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job! At least it's 50 points for the team.

9. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Checked cameras today and there are still a few mature bucks in the 140's showing up on camera and a bunch of really nice 3 year olds. Still none of the really big bucks are showing up which has not happened in over 6 years. As of now my plan is to wait until the last few days of October hoping to catch a big boy cruising our ridge system.

10. benkharr

benkharr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never killed a 140. I hope this year is the year. Do you hunt primarily in Minnesota?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a few of the bigger bucks from the last few years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had my lease in SE MN for 28 years. I sometimes hunt Buffalo County WI, I also have hunted Iowa every 2 years when I draw a shotgun tag for the last 6 years.

13. benkharr

benkharr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love those daylight late October pics!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of these bucks have haunted me :(

15. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The top picture I watched that buck for 4 hours during shotgun season and thought for sure he was coming my way but he walked the wrong way with the wind following a doe. 2 days later a new guy on our lease who never showed up to scout or do anything shot him out of a tower I built. He scored 171"

The second buck I was hunting a stand on the other side of the field about 100 yards away when that picture was taken. The neighbor killed him he scored 203"

The third and sixth picture is the same buck a few years apart. The history I had with that buck is crazy. Literally thousands of pictures and a number of videos of him. I passed him when he was 3 1/2 and roughly 153" at 22 yards with my bow because I knew he would blow up into a giant. I never laid eyes on him again while hunting. He had a HUGE area he covered and no matter where I thought he would show up he did the opposite. I have his right side shed from the last picture. It scores 98" and we never saw him again after that :( we figured him at close to 210" that last year.

The fourth buck I had a chance during bow season but I could not tell how old he was so I passed and didnt realize my mistake until I got pictures of him and saw he was very mature. I did end up shooting him during shotgun season. He is a nine pointer with very short brows but still scored 158 5/8"

The fifth buck I believe pushed split brow out. I got a lot of pictures of him that year and had a chance at him during muzzleloader season but he was busted up bad. Never saw him again.

16. bootlegtater

bootlegtater Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Although you don't have most those on your wall, it's awesome just to hear the history you've had with some giants like that. Hopefully you'll get a new giant to make history with and have the mount on the wall with the story...Thanks for sharing

17. tkaldahl2000

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you ever processed a mule deer? I had an open house at school last night and couldn't get home to cut up my deer, but the temps were only in the mid 40s so I just kept her packed full of ice until tonight. I have never had such an easy time quartering a deer. I also practiced using the gutless method even though she was already field dressed. I don't have a good place to hang a deer anymore. Now she is in coolers on ice and I will grind burger and vacuum pack the backstraps tomorrow night after my rod and gun club board meeting.

18. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I have done a few mule deer. Did you a question about the process? It is not any different than a whitetail. Mule deer does taste slightly different.

19. tkaldahl2000

Dislikes Received:
    I was just surprised by how much easier it seemed to be to break it down.

20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. The mule deer I have shot were all bigger than any of the Whitetails I have killed so I found them to be harder because of the bigger body size.