***Antler Apostles - Team 1***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by MGH_PA, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Panacea Nike

Panacea Nike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like everyone has already made introductions. I live in North Florida and mostly hunt 2 pieces of property. I am on a 1,000 acre lease that backs up to my neighborhood. The other property I hunt is on my neighbors back 5 acres that backs up to 350 acres that is not hunted. I get to hunt a lot due to how close the properties I hunt are to my home. I have a 10 year old daughter who loves to hunt with me. She has just gun hunted the past few years but this year she will also be hunting with a cross bow. I have several bucks I am after this year. My number one buck is a 10 point I have been watching for 3 years. I had lots of pictures of him last year but he mostly came out just after shooting light. I saw him from the stand last year but he stayed in the thick until shooting light was gone. This year I found his trail and have set up a stand a few hundred yards away from the direction he travels to the food plot. Hopefully this year I can get a shot at this guy. I also have a decent 8 point I am hunting on my neighbors 5 acres. When I am not hunting I like to fish. Living near the coast most of my fishing is saltwater. I like to spearfish offshore for snapper and grouper as well as fish the flats for trout and redfish. I will post a few pictures of the bucks I am after. The first buck is 2014 through 2016 pictures of the 10 point. The last 2 are the 8 point on my neighbors property.

Attached Files:

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the team!

3. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the team Panacea. Now that we have our 12th man and points on the board. I wish the best of luck and happy hunting to everyone.

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have some great places to hunt. Good luck to you and your daughter this season!

5. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last week of the off season here in Wisconsin! Opener is on Saturday so good luck to anyone who gets to get out there this weekend!

6. Panacea Nike

Dislikes Received:
    My season starts Saturday as well. It is going to have to cool down some here or it will be miserable in the stand. Temps still reaching into the 90's in the afternoon.

7. Hoytxhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oct. 1 opening day here in Texas. I still have a few more properties to get to to talk to the land owners. Hopefully get one of them. Other than that just have to wait till my public draw results come back later this month. Good luck to all y'all in the field.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Oct 1st here in PA as well. I'm about all ready now. My time will be limited this season with a 10 month old, but I'm hoping to be smart about it and wait for opportune times to sit.

9. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    We open this weekend but I'm having pretty good luck shooting geese so I'll probably continue to do so through the weekend.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

10. Hoytxhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ive never had the chance to go on a goose hunt. Fingers crossed to get drawn on a waterfowl/pheasant hunt in the panhandle in December. Plenty of duck tho. If I get drawn it will be the first for geese and pheasant. Drawing is 11/18 so on to the deer till then.

11. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    It's a blast. Up to 25 geese so far since last weekend. Two so far this morning on a little migrator solo hunt.

12. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Got my limit!

[​IMG]

13. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    New bow showed up yesterday!
    It's great to finally be able to pull one back again but it's going to take a little getting used to. After 22 years of shooting 80+ pounds of pull and then having to shoot a crossbow for 3 years, I've got the new bow set a little below 60LB just so I can pull it back (wishing I'd of had more time for exercise).
    At my age and diminished abilities, I have no plans to ever go back to an 80lb bow, just need to figure out where the arrow starts dropin and finish sighting it in!
    I'm thinking that the hardest thing to relearn will be the need to be more selective with my shots due to the loss of KE but I'll get it all figured out and stuff will start falling over dead soon!!

14. keepfallingup

keepfallingup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to all who are going out today!!!

15. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Opened today but holding out for a perfect east wind. Good luck all!

16. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully you're all out there shooting deer since you're not on here :) This place is dead.

Nothing new to update on my end. Life is busier by the day (have very little time to get on here to be honest). Opener is still a week and a half away, and I'm up in the air if I'll even be in a tree. Amazing what a little one can do to the schedule :)

17. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:

It's opened here but have been busy in the field. Real wet but got 80 acres of beans harvested and bean straw bales baled last night. Lots of rain in the forecast but duck/goose opens back up this weekend so I will likely be doing that. Holding off on bow hunting until early October.

18. Panacea Nike

Dislikes Received:
    I went out Opening morning saw a doe and 5 turkeys. Holding out for a buck that I have multiple pictures of in that area. Sunday morning took my daughter and we got busted walking in and didn't see a thing once the sun came up. It is still way to hot in the afternoons with temps in the 90's. I like the afternoon hunts in my area much better and usually have much more success in the afternoons. It looks like the afternoon temps will start dropping next week and I plan on spending a lot of time in the stand if it does. Good luck to everyone.

19. Hoytxhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I should find out today if I get drawn on any of our public draw hunts. If I get drawn today it will most likely be for a gun hunt but maybe I can convince them to let me use a bow. Then on 9/30 is the next set of drawings. Hopefully get something this year. But season starts on oct 1 so still waiting. Good luck to those in the field.

20. Hoytxhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well no luck on the draw yesterday. One my chance on the 30th.