game cameras on public land

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunter728, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    whats everyone's two cents on this. im gonna be hunting some public land soon and was thinking about getting one or two cameras to try out but how should i secure them or should i just not bother. i could always put a cable with a lock on it but didnt know what other people have done in the past. i dont wanna make the investment if some A**hat is gonna steal my cameras. let me know.

2. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on trying this next year with my old camera that way I'm not disappointed if it gets stolen. Basically I would say just go deep in and prepare yourself for real chance it will be stolen. The deeper you get the less people will see it.

3. rajela

rajela Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Place them up high....

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Either be prepared for the chance of them getting stolen, or secure them in a box. Locking them is pretty useless when they are just made of plastic. Don't even need bolt cutters, just a pair of hand sheers or heavy side cutters can cut the plastic.

5. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buy cheap cams. I use a chain and lock. 101_0044.jpg

6. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be checking on 2 I put up in public this weekend. 1 deep in and 1 not so deep. I put a cable lock on them. Fingers are crossed!

7. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First, check your state's rules on this. I know here, it''s illegal to put out and leave out cameras on state land.

With that said, I know some people who put their cams 8-10' up, pointing down.

8. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I run a few cameras on public land. I try to follow a few of my own guidelines. I know there is a risk of them being stolen. I also hear lots of stories of camera on private land going missing, so this is not exclusive to public land.

- Place in spots not easily seen by others, even if it means it is not the best camera location.
    - Use a security box and cable lock. Now, I know the cable lock can be cut in seconds however, it is just a deterrent. I think the box and lock is worth the extra price (box 40ish, lock 20ish), if you are buying a 100 dollar camera. Even the camera at my house gets a box and lock. Harder to justify for a 50 dollar camera.

9. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use cable locks, I made 4 cables with locks at local hardware store for about 20$. I feel like a lot of trail cam thefts are crimes or opportunity... They will take them when they see them and are too lazy to come back w cutters... . Just my .02

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  10. Bowhunter728

Dislikes Received:
    Some good ideas here. Thanks for the input. I also looked online and couldn't find anything about not leaving cameras on public land but I will look later and see if I over looked anything

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^ Take a 6 foot ladder and hang them 10-11 feet off the ground. Makes for some cool pic angles and makes stealing someone them a lot harder.

12. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or one or two sections of climbing sticks .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've lost half of a cam and it was close to the walk in trail. Never had an issue with any of my other cams that were set in other locations.

Cable lock and padlock for door will keep the honest people honest. But if someone wants to be a Dbag, they'll find a way to steal it or make sure you can't use it.

The locks, elevated, and stay away from the heavy traffic areas - that should be good 99% of the time.

14. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Secure it in a camera lock box. But buy and custom a steel cable long enough to hold a big wide tree from the hardware store. Insert the steel cables in the hole of that lock box then get the hardware guys to make two holes to fit a lock pad.

15. Bowhunter728

Dislikes Received:
    ok beautiful. there is alot of honest people out there but i just wanna protect my stuff you know.

16. Bowhunter728

Dislikes Received:
    so since we are on the subject of securing cameras mine as well talk about them. ive been looking at the bushnell aggressor cameras but there are several out there. but does it really make a difference if its low glow or no glow?

17. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I gotta ask, how did you lose half of a cam? Did someone really beat the thing until it was mostly toast?

18. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The only problem with this is those boxes need secured to the tree and on must public land running a lag bolt into a tree to secure the box is illegal.