Major league bowhunter made the switch

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fairtondoeslayer, Sep 3, 2016.

1. kwachHTX

kwachHTX Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I agree with you. But if I was in there shoes and had to use a sponsor in every sentence, I would do it to make a living in the woods.

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to post the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy it as well like others have said, they show you their failures along with their success. Another show I like to watch is raised hunting. Having a new 7 month old boy, I kind of connect with it. But as for the products I trust guys like you all on here and friends opinions more than I ever see what they use. But as others stated if that's what it took to make a living in the woods huntin , sign me up.

4. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree!

5. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy the show. It's one of my favorites. However, I don't give a crap about what bows they shoot.

6. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    True but I shoot a Mathews, so all shows with Mathews shooters are cool!

7. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a fan of the show. Like others have stated, I appreciate that they show their failures and also constantly talk about learning new things and growing as a bowhunter. A lot of the shows out there don't appeal to me because I can't afford to pay an outfitter thousands of dollars to kill a giant and I sure as heck don't have 170" deer running around my place. The pushing of products does get a little ridiculous how it's shoved down our throats but I understand why they do it. Honestly, I don't really care what they are using, I would love a new bow, but my 10 yr old PSE works just fine and with a wife and 2 young kids, I've got to watch my frivolous spending or risk becoming acquainted with the couch. :bash:

8. jvella

jvella Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Every top competitor makes pretty great bows either way

9. fairtondoeslayer

fairtondoeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah thats a good point, anymore you can't go wrong, either way they are 10 x's better than the bows they shot 20 years ago

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For those of you that don't like the sponsorship's and product placement, you wouldn't have many hunting shows to watch without it. The sponsors are who pay for the airtime to make a show possible. I don't know the exact numbers but you're looking at roughly $20,000 for a twelve episode season on some of the more minor hunting channels. Sponsors require something for their money, so you get product placement, testimonials and commercials.

11. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. My issue is with how they go about it.

There are better ways than what goes on in a lot of those TV shows. Off the top of my head, Heartland and Meat Eater don't take it to the annoying level.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some shows are better about it than others for sure, I'm pretty immune to it. I just look at it as part of the deal.

13. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Meat Eater seems to avoid sponsors fairly well. Granted, their show is much better produced than the majority of hunting shows. I don't have much of a problem with it, but I really don't watch that many hunting shows any more. I mostly watch BHOD or GrowingDeer.TV, and Meat Eater.

14. fairtondoeslayer

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah a lot of them are b/s. I would love to see them go out on public land in NJ, do some filming and see how well they do. I bet they wouldn't be any better than the rest of us.

15. fairtondoeslayer

Dislikes Received:
    I'm actually surprised chipper didnt shoot mathews before though because i was told my Mike Trout himself that he gets free bows every year from them just for playing baseball in the MLB

16. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you to some point but people like the Mark and Terry Drury/Lee Lacosky/Grant Woods,those people became famous in the hunting world because simply put they are good at hunting.They wouldn't be where they are today if they didn't know how to kill deer.

I do agree that some people who play major sports and "cross over" into hunting definitely have it easier because of who they are and the name they have.

17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would be a terrible person to sponsor. They would have to fuzz out all the non sponsored stuff I would be using. That said ...Mathews and bear are about equally bad. So it's a lateral move.

18. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I really like HB. They don't annoy me with their sponsors and I really like their quality of video. Helps to have $20,000 Red Dragon cameras too I guess! Lol.

19. Oklabowyer

Oklabowyer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a side note about the MLBH show. I was at an event a week ago here in Oklahoma and Jeff Danker was a guest speaker. He really seemed like a good guy. Said he wasn't a part of the MLBH show anymore and now has his own show Buckventures Outdoors TV. He gave a good testimony to a large group of folks at a local church where this outdoor event took place. He's a heck of a good story teller with a good sense of humor told some pretty good huntin' stories too! Just saying he seemed like a down to earth kinda guy and he made a comment that a few others have already hit on. He said that without the sponsors he wouldn't be able to do what he has been blessed to do. I never buy anything based on what someone on TV says. I go read reviews from people who actually paid for the product have to say and then decide if I want to try it. But I don't fault the guys on the hunting shows for promoting their sponsors anymore than the Nascar drivers or the pro anglers for doing the same.

20. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Whether or not they did any better than somebody else on NJ public land wouldn't really matter. Even if they don't kill something, or they show a world class buck, or pass on a 140" 3.5 year old in a 20 acre food plot, I look at any of these shows/webshows as entertainment and a lot of the people we see on TV are A.) good hunters in their own right, and B.) much more entertaining to watch than the average bear, and C.) much more dedicated to putting it to film and marketing themselves more than most ever will be.