Anyone have that one "friend"?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by sethf11, Sep 5, 2016.

1. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure some of you guys know "that guy" I'm talking about.
    I have that one "friend" who is always trying to work his way in.

I showed him some game camera pics I got and now he keeps asking me to take him. Begging me to take him. He has done no homework this year of his own and has nothing to offer in exchange (not that I look for anything).

A few months ago I found a tree stand for sale on a local Facebook page. I sent the owner a message about the tree stand and I mentioned it to this guy. Before I got out of work this guy contacted the guy selling it, went and bought it before I had a chance.

I also just got permission back in spring to hunt a small piece of land from a co-worker. It's 25 acres. I have been running game came in there this summer and have it figured out. I hear today that he went and asked permission and that now he wants to be able to bring friends if his in there to hunt as well.

I'm a nice guy and all but safe to say that this guy is pretty much off the "hunting friend" list.

Some of you guys have to have people like this. I could tell more stories but I think you all get the point.

This guy I work with and even at one point, another coworker who doesn't hunt, I was talking with. She owns 90 acres (I'm still trying to get access to that land) and we were just talking about land in general. His guy comes in during the conversation and abruptly asks "can I hunt your land". To which she said no. And he comes back with, "you can keep all the meat if I get one". What kind of person or hunter is that.

I don't hang out with him outside of work. Just a "friend" at work because it's a smaller place.

2. redbellybum

redbellybum Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I feel for u man. I've got a buddy I hunt and fish with a lot, but he is always inviting other guys to go with us on my spots.

3. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2-3 years I will have my own land and not have to worry or deal with half this crap.

Gotta get these kids out of daycare then we are buying. Wife is already on board. I even caught her looking at land on her iPad the other night. Buy in 2-3 years then sell current house and build the retirement dream when kids are out of school in about 15 years.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have a friend like that.

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have know people similar. I actually have good buddies that I won't hunt with because of their ethics and lack of common sense. Good to drink beer with but that's about it. Horrible hunters. one is married into the fam and I cringe at the thought of going with him. Once he hit a deer and didn't want to track it more than a hundred yards cause the brush got real thick and "it wasn't that big anyway". I went in and found it for him.

6. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't say that I've ever had that problem but I'm the guy that usually shares with friends (I have thousands of acres to hunt though).

I did have that 1 friend that never followed the rules of hunting our property: Stay as scent free as possible, get in the stand early or exit late (in the dark), and never sit the same stand over and over. He's not hunting with us this year :lol:

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's fairly simple. Be careful what you tell people, and be more careful of who you're telling!

8. boilerman

boilerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This ^^^^. I found out years ago with people like that you tell them of a giant in a spot miles from you but not far enough he wont go there himself. I usually stay pretty quiet as it is all public land here so if you let it slip that there is a "big one" , sure enough word gets around fast and hunters just overrun the area. Best part is as a bow hunter I get 2 weeks before muzzle season opens.

9. KYhunter

KYhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only have one friend that I will mention hunting with. We both have hunted together for years now and he puts in just as much time as I do in the hills. We have a understanding that we have our spots and we don't invade each others spots nor do we mention them to anyone.

10. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am gonna be honest. What little property I have to hunt I am thankful for. But there is a reason I hunt alone most of the time. Its hard to find someone that will put in the time and effort into making a marginal hunting place into a great one but plenty that will just plop down in your stand and shoot the next thing that comes by. Sometimes I have people invite me to hunt but I usually don't because I don't feel like I can repay them as I don't own any land or have the authority to invite them as well. I know how much hard work goes into this if you do it right.

Sorry you have to deal with people like that.