Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Bigwoods hunters are dying

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jpwold01, Aug 31, 2016.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Actually... I think it's the Matthews and the Harmonic Dampers.

You're an expert.

2. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How dare you bring weapons into this conversation.. we are talking about how "challenging" it is to find a deer in the big bad woods.

3. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not here in Mass. Everyone I know that hunts especially fellow bow hunters put in some serious miles.

4. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure there has ever been a new member get so many comments!

5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sure. All the new guy has to do is waltz in, push the right person's buttons and let human nature take its course. :tu:

6. jpwold01

jpwold01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Since you can seen so well why don't you go see what i wrote and figure out that you are attacking me due to some sort of insecurity. I'm not arguing what's more challenging.
    Some of you though are making my point about the lack of support for public land hunters. It would seem that unless we have our own land we are inferior to some of you and it isn't worth stepping in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

7. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
    You are not saying it is more challenging? But plot hunters are detoured from hunting big woods because "The level of challenge" is too great for them..

"The level of challenge and time required to hunt in this manner certainly deters many plot and wait hunters."

If you want to hunt the big woods that is awesome to me and I know it is a challenge and a lot of hard work.. but so is hunting a plot or ag field. Its not like someone who hunts that way is too stupid to find deer sign or figuring out where they may be. Dont think that they dont spend tons of time and put in a lot of work and effort doing it different than you. Trying to kill a decent buck is a challenge with any style of hunting and hard work no matter how or where you do it. Where I hunt the deer have a LOT to choose from. There are tons of small hay fields and patches of woods and more times then not they arnt where I am, but I get the job done and put meat in my freezer every year.. Its the big bucks that I have trouble with... but most people do.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  8. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe my reading comprehension is strong.. or maybe I dont feel the need to stand up for the stupid things he said because I hunt the big woods. "the sky is blue"..... "I never said the sky was blue, I was just talking about the sky!!!!!"

10. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Killing mature deer with either method is hard and takes lots of work.

The difference is "bigwoods" hunters put in the their time scouting/looking at maps/etc

While "plot hunters" put in their time making said plots/hinge cutting/trail cams/etc.

I don't know about anybody else but I'm so ready for this offseason crap to be over,somebody needs to shoot something.

11. jpwold01

jpwold01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I really don't feel like i stated this thread off offensively. It only took one person to miss interpret what I'm saying to spark a linching and try to make me look like a bad guy for raising an issue. I apologize for the mis interpretation.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like to hunt the big woods where no one else is around. I can walk into my stand wearing only a speedo. It is great.

13. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Now that is funny!

14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Please, No hero shots! I don't need to see that

15. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is what he was wearing when I met him at Pizza Hut in Coshocton Ohio a couple years ago.

16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Why do I feel kind of jealous?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  17. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, all my fault, I'll take the blame. I'm not going to apologize for taking what you wrote literally...you wrote it. You don't need to apologize for me misinterpreting it either. If I misinterpreted anything wrong then you should really think more about how you word your posts because I wasn't the only one that took it that way and in large part because your second post strongly reinforced the idea you put forth in the OP. I don't feel you have been "lynched", I feel you either made an ignorant point well or made a simple point ignorantly. Either way, far worse has been posted on this forum...own it for whatever it is and move on and make better posts from here forward. We all have a short memory and most don't hold any hard feelings. If we continue to disagree on things the world will go on but you should go ahead and enjoy the forum anyway. Some people just never see eye to eye and sometimes people end up getting along well after a rough initial encounter. I wish you nothing but good thoughts and a great season.

18. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't find the OP offensive at all, the guy enjoys the challenge of hunting deep woods. So? If anyone finds his opinion offensive, that's on them. Maybe he finds your opinion offensive too.
    For anyone to suggest that sitting over a food plot or feeder in an area where there are 30 deer per square mile, is just as challenging as hunting deep woods where there are 5 deer per square mile, is wrong, period. I have hunted every possible scenario from suburbs, to food plots, to deep woods, and the deep woods is BY FAR the most challenging. Granted, planting and maintaining food plots is hard work, but it makes the hunting easier, or you wouldn't do it. To argue otherwise would be contradicting yourself.

19. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never argued hunting deep woods wasn't more challenging or that hunting food plots wasn't easier than hunting deep woods. I argued with the opinion that hunting plots was "easy" and that his assertion that plot hunters were lazy and stupid was offensive and ignorant. Of course hunting a managed habitat is easier than hunting deep woods public land, that's why it's more popular and featured on far more hunting shows. That's not the same thing as being "easy" or supporting the claim that "Plot watchers" are stupid and lazy and that deep woods hunters are more skilled, which is exactly what he said.

20. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm coming up to start a bar fight. Providing that your place is not in the big woods. If that's the case, I'll never find it.