***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Meatmissle32

Meatmissle32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    jay fl , about 30 min from exit 69 on interstate. also hunt Alabama in clay county Goodwater. north side of Montgomery.

2. Meatmissle32

Meatmissle32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hahathats a negative

3. Meatmissle32

Meatmissle32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Out of town

just to let everyone know I am a lineman and will be out of town for a week for work leaving at 1 PM so wont be on here due to the storm hitting around the bend of florida. see yall soon.

4. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for checking in and letting us know - be safe. Looks like it may become a nasty storm.

When does everyones season open? Ours opens October 1st.

5. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Season in NY starts the October 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning. I see the alternate request thread is up. I will be asking for ours when I am done here. If they go in order and not many request - first few live in states with big bucks (LOL - of course I'd look to check).

The extra property I got to hunt by my house/work - where there were some nice bucks - had some changes on camera. Seems the bucks all disappeared besides one small one. But, there is a nice rotation of does. So, if I do hunt there - looks like I should have a chance at a doe. Of course, they'll all get switched up by the time season arrives. I just hope to have a change in my regular season where I can actually get something! My husband and I are already eating tag soup from an antelope hunt he went on last month.

7. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry everyone - Fitz said he checked in - so I reviewed each post - and he did stop by once to check in (Post 78). So we are considered a full team. Hopefully United12 comes around and posts.

8. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Will try and work on something this weekend - these are only through Paint and it doesn't give me much options.

9. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some of the bigger bucks continue to show on our property and neighboring properties. The neighbor immediately adjacent to us got one of the big bucks on cam this week that I was hoping made it. He was wounded during gun season last year, but appears to have recovered unbelievably. 1st pic is this year. 2nd pic was last year. Almost positive this is the same deer. IMG_2561.jpg File_000.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  10. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's a big boy!!!

11. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They always look bigger in velvet but he's gotta be knocking on the 150" door.

12. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my neck of the woods a 150 is a pretty big deal

13. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    150" is a big deal anywhere. Most people don't have thousands of acres of prime land to grow big bucks like on TV. I am blessed to hunt an area that has potential for these types of bucks.

14. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Quick question you guys. I recently located some burr acorn trees in the public piece i'm hunting. I threw a camera up to see if there was any action but i dont want to go in and check it for a couple weeks yet. How popular are burr acorns for whitetails? I'm torn between this location and what i believe to be a really good bed to feed route location. Thoughts and or concerns?

15. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well you already put a cam out so you might as well wait to make that decision when you get the pics back. I don't know much about burr oak since we don't get those by me, but I'm sure deer love them. I'd say put a cam out on that trail you think is really good as well. That way you'll get a better idea of things.

16. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I too am not aware of those kind of acorns. I'd wait and see what camera says. You can always use it as a back up spot.

Hoping we get some of our other members active once the season gets rolling!

17. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fall Map.jpg This is the public piece i'm hunting this year. Top right stand icon is the acorn trees. Top left is the bed to feed route.

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry team - I'm a delinquent responder. :( Been a busy summer and it's shaping up to be an equally busy fall! I don't have a lot to report to be honest. I have a few stands hung and a couple "poor man's" food plots planted but not a whole of big bucks to show for it yet. Between the 2 farms I'll be hunting this fall I have maybe 2 bucks I'd like to shoot. It's gonna be slim pickings but hopefully I'll get the job done.

As for the burr oak question, the deer will eat them but they're by no means their favorites. If there's white oaks anywhere around they'll eat every one of those first before they touch a red or burr oak acorn.

Oh, and that Iowa public ground looks good to me! One of these years I'll try to draw a tag and head out there. :tu:

19. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    It's fine Justin, just so we know you are around. Everyone is busy, I definitely understand that!

20. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I haven't been too busy either. Season here starts in less than 2 weeks. I've been getting the same 9 pointer on cam every time I check and he always shows up between 8 and 10am usually twice a week or so. He would maybe score mid 120s. So I don't know if I shoot him if I see him early or risk it and wait for a roaming buck in the rut. Would be my first archery buck too.