Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Bigwoods hunters are dying

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jpwold01, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just wrote a long drawn out entry for this.... And the site crashed. Not writing it over again..... Simply
    Quit getting butt hurt
    It's almost season

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting is a personal thing...period.

Harvest what you want. Hunt how you want. If it's legal and ethical go for it.

Clinton nailed it well....threads like this shows the ugly side of hunters and does no good for hunting in general.

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

isn't this what you always do?

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is listening to a woman argue, not really thinking about what was said or letting it sink in, just saying that is what you always do. I don't hunt with anyone else, I sure as hell don't compare my hunting results against anyone either.

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You don't? I must of been dreaming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    According to you. Why not just add your thoughts on the topic and leave the persnicketiness to Agnes Cravitz.

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The show is on the other foot I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would LOVE to hear what some of the Benoits have to say on this subject! It would be interesting.

9. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's getting rough in here. Somebody needs to take a deer.

10. jpwold01

jpwold01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's crazy how 1k+ people viewed this post 80+ people comment on it and only 1 Preston actually got Wray i was saying. The rest of you listened to 1 person who obviously feels guilty for some reason about how he hunts and this turns into something it's not.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

11. jpwold01

jpwold01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First, do I feel like the way I hunt is better than anyone else's? No. Plot hunters are some of the most dedicated hunters and take great measures to ensure their success. Also, I would imagine they are more success than public land hunters.

Do I think the way I hunt is more challenging? Yes, generally I would say it is more challenging - especially on hunt-day.. In Indiana we have a lot of natural forest that isn't accessible without a boat or a few hours hike (or both) and some southern Indiana areas can be very hilly. Additionally, in order to find a spot that isn't over pressured you have to go deep, but I'd guess that's anywhere.

So what was my *post about? The lack of support for public land hunters and the fact that people aren't doing it as much. Why? Because what we're showing our kids is that if we don't have private land, plant a crop and put up trail cameras we can't be successful. As I've said in many previous posts i don't care how or where you hunt or even what you hunt with. Hunt. (The only people I have issue with are the ones that take an excessive amount of doe or poachers.) What I'm trying to bring to light is the lack of knowledge available or even support for bigwood or public land hunting -- which is what I think a vast majority of young and new hunters are *looking for. As for tv goes there's a group of people for just about anything you put on. Bh.com has about the best there is right now, but there is a lot of garbage out right now... kind of like today's country music.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

12. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can we define big woods hunting? Is it 100+ acres of timber without food plots?

That type of style is boring and frustrating to a lot of people. That's probably why you don't find it in magazines. Most people, myself included, would choose seeing 10+ deer in an afternoon over a couple. Most people would choose to walk a 1/4 mile to their pre hung stand instead of carrying everything in for a mile or more.

So it doesn't surprise me when TV and magazine write/film for the majority of the people tuning in. (Go to Hunting Beast for technical hunting)

Both styles have their challenges. It comes down to what the hunter is looking for in a hunt. For me, I like to do both and I suck at both.

13. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some of us didnt get a boner because you were talking about the way we hunt or want to hunt (or are forced to hunt) and seen that you were being a jerk and went as far as to call plot hunters stupid and lazy.

Lots of crap post get 1k views on here.. congrats you had the crap post for yesterday. Gold star for you.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  14. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt private land (I don't own it) which includes sizeable chunks of timber as well as food plots. I rarely ever hunt the food plots as I haven't found that to be a good strategy in seeing big bucks on their feet during daylight. My stands are all back in the brush or swamps. But, different strategies work in different areas. To each their own.

15. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I see that "butt hurt" is the word of the day here at bowhunting.com.

WHAT IF: I hunt the big woods on a trail leading to a food plot. But I'm not close enough to see said plot.

16. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
    You are a stupid/lazy plot hunter.. get in the middle of the big woods.

17. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How dare you call me a stupid/lazy hunter in front of all bowhunting.com members!

That hurts my feelings.

I would type a 5 paragraph response but I don't have time.

18. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
    :poke: :lmao2:

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Listen guys... I am not trying to brag, but I'm basically the best hunter at my house. My wife says that I have really sweet bowhunting moves. So, I pretty much know what I am talking about.

20. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted with a guy who had a cabin almost a mile from the nearest road in the middle of miles of unbroken woods. The hunting was very difficult, but the experience of being in the middle of nowhere, with peace and quiet, on the hunt, was just priceless. He has since done a ton of hinge cutting, and the hunting is now beyond incredible!
    IMO, and this is just one man's opinion, hunting over prepared food plots, especially with a rifle, is just too easy, it really ain't hunting, it's more like target practice.