Iowa

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by IAMIKE, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Since I got a doe early, I probably won't step foot on my lease again till end of October or beginning of November..

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw several turkeys last night. Only deer I saw were hanging out by my truck. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been able to hunt as much as I would like. Got out a couple times last weekend, saw a couple does and one young buck--all in the late afternoon--but that's it.

4. dwhite2011

dwhite2011 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from NW Iowa, Spencer Area. I tagged out on the 3rd 45 min in the stand on a good 4 year old. Took good advantage of the cold front and the crops coming out. I had very good activity Early in the morning 6:45 ish. and continued to have good activity even after I let an arrow fly. With the temps moving up this week I dont foresee as much action. Cant kill'em if your not putting in the time tho. Good Luck Guys!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  5. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good front today. Getting off early to hunt it. Might hunt Sat but probably not Sun with temps near 80!

6. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea same here Smitty. Gonna try to get out after work today and then tomorrow morning for sure. I don't know about Saturday evening and Sunday definitely not. Good luck to all!

7. Bentarrow

Bentarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well the trail cams have been showing a lot of buck movement in day time here lately but the winds have been bad so don't go out. The crops around me are out so the food plots have been busy also as is my mock scrapes so maybe this weekend I can get out. It sure would be nice to have a nice deer roast for the crockpot.

8. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    How is the season going for the rest of the Iowa boys? I had last week off and logged at least 40-50 hrs on stand on my lease, have not seen a deer. I tagged a doe opening Morning about 45 mins into my sit. Been skunked every sit since then. For some reason this property just doesn't hold deer after crops are out. 3rd year in a row deer have just disappeared after harvest.

Thinking its time to find a new lease. So anyone in SE Iowa looking for a lease partner, let's talk....

9. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't hardly seen anything for deer this season. I have had one sit where I saw some young bucks up during daylight (around 2:15) but other than that it has been incredibly slow. But nearly all of my local friends have a completely different story. They are seeing tons of deer all over, bucks chasing and sparring etc. I feel like I am doing something wrong somehow. Feeling a little dejected but gonna try and get a couple quick hunts after work this week with the cold front coming through.

10. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well my luck took a turn for the better, I got my buck last night. Mainframe 10 with a few kickers off his G2s. Not a giant but I am pretty proud of him! Good luck to you guys!

11. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One more month... Anyone else frothing at the mouth? Getting anything encouraging on trail cams?

12. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm certainly getting the itch. Especially with this beautiful weather this morning. Going to check cameras tomorrow afternoon for the first time. Got them out later than usual this year but life gets in the way sometimes.

13. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got my cameras out. Checked them
    Once. Shot today for the first time. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1473022920.362720.jpg
    This whole having a 3 month old is time consuming!

14. Jexter

Jexter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New to the forum and bows. Just picked up a Hoyt which is set at 60 lbs and a 27 inch draw. Only have my top pin sighted in at 20 yards but need to get the other 2 sighted in yet. Im tired of freezing during 1st and 2nd season shotgun and having limited time to hunt. I tried my buddies bow and instantly loved shooting it. Hoping to get out this fall. Hunting in NE Iowa.

I went to Fin and Feather in Iowa City. I had them cut my Gold Tip arrows to 28 inches an its 400. When looking at gold tip arrow chart it looks like i should be shooting a 340. So not sure if I should continue with the 400 or change them out. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

• bow.jpg
      bow.jpg
      File size:
      48.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  15. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    You are probably a little over spined on your arrows, but if you are getting good flight, and point of aim impact, there is nothing wrong really.

16. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    As for going to Iowa city, I never have really like fin and feather, there were a few good guys at scheels, the manager was really good. I've bought a few things from them and talked shop with a couple of the guys working there, but they also have just some general sporting good guys running around, so it can be a crap shoot....

I tend to go to American outdoors my self, but I'm in SE Iowa so that is a closer drive for me. That shop is just south of mt.pleasant.

17. Jexter

Jexter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ive got a buddy who is an avid bow hunter and 3D shoots. He recommended me to go to Fin and Feather. Had a pretty good experience.

So I was looking at my Hoyt manual and its says nevershot an arrow weighing less han five grains for every pound of peak draw. So if my draw is 60 then the weight of my arrow should be 300 grams? Where do you see that info when buying arrows? Also this would be different that buying a 500, 400, 340, 300, 200 arrow which is more about spine strength correct? So when picking out an arrow you need to make sure its the correct weight and the correct spine strength?

18. Wesley Lofton

Dislikes Received:
    It would be very hard to be under weight. Have to figure in weight of your broad head, knock, vanes, inserts, etc.... Cutting an arrow will change the spine as well. If what you have now is shooting good, flying straight, and hitting where you are aiming, there is no need to change it.

19. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have family with a large farm in Lyon County but the out of state tags are ridiculous in Iowa (I live in Nebraska)

20. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you guys been seeing much buck sign yet? I haven't been out to the woods in a couple weeks. I feel like last year this time the bucks started to amp up and there were scrapes everywhere which is unusually early but I had a lot more older bucks hanging around.